My SURPRISE walk in the woods tonight (long)

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn,

Thanks for all the great info. I had forgotten that the everLED will run with different numbers of cells. That is a nice touch. I wonder if that means that it is less efficient in some other way... At any rate, I will go with an everLED then since I already have a 2D Mag-Lite.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
From my night time geocaching experience, I would also suggest you to bring a GPS receiver along. It can be very handy, but there is the problem with signal reception under tree cover, or when you are next to a cliff, so you may want to bring a map of the area and a compass if you are going somewhere you are not familiar. Afterall, even with all the lights, if you don't know where you are, the lights aren't going to help you find your way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif As for the lights, I usually bring a 4C maglite (heavy but useful)and surefire 6p + 2-3 sets of cr123 (from my car) as backup.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Smaug said:
BF Hammer, Phaserburn, Anyone? - What is the difference between a Epieon and an everLED? Are they about the same, just made by different companies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add some extra info to Phaserburn's reply - the Epieon and EverLED are indeed both 1W Luxeons, but the method of powering them is different, and the emitter shape is different. Epieon is a high dome and and will output a beam (although very short) without a reflector, EverLED is a side-emitter and absolutly needs a reflector to work. Epieon uses a current-limiting resistor to drive it, you have to have a specific light in mind when ordering because you need to match it with the number of cells in the light. EverLED has a regulator circuit and can run in different configurations. They cost about the same, and neither is really any better overall than the other, it just depends on what light you want to put it in and how you want to use it. I bought my Epieon just before the annoucement of the EverLED and likely would have chosen the EverLED over Epieon if they were both available at the time. Still, I'm happy with my choice and don't regret it. I know, if I am to become a true flashaholic I should buy both! But not today.

Mateo

Newly Enlightened
i personally carry an ultra g around my neck (as a back up) a mag with bb400q3l and my e2e for when i need to reach out and touch someone or something. i think the last two should do the job in unfamliar territory. i am relativily new to flashlight addiction but i quickly realized that led's alone do not do the trick, the trick is to have a bright led for general walking and an incandescent for previewing. the mag bb and the e2e are small and light enough to carry both without them becoming burdensome.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My Blaster VI, with no resistor, reaches out and touches everything in front of me, to the side of me, and almost in back of me. Fits quite nicely in back pocket as a back up. Bill