N47CAB 6230-01-536-8425( Fulton Industries) Question

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
How bright is The PR6 Bulb? Is it a MX991/U? If so, it states waterproof, but so vague? how water resistant is it? i read that the u designation for underwater does that mean it can be submerged undewater? if so, what is the maximum depth and duration of water exposure it can withstand? Lastly, how bright is the bulb? can it bright enough to do mechanical work outdoors when the sun is shining? thanks for answering like the acu camo flashlight by fulton but no specs available on the official website need help.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PR 6 bulb puts out 5-6 lumens - not really bright enough for mechanical work outside in the sun. There are a number of LED drop ins available, I like the Nite Ize 55 lumen bulb for the Fultons, but this still might not be bright enough for work out in the sunlight. Nite Ize also makes a 74 lumen drop in and Superbright LEDs has some brighter than that.

BTW the Nite Ize drop-ins will work with up to about 9 Volts which makes it easy to use a wide variety of batteries. I 3D printed some adapters to run a bunch of different cells in my Fulton.

cO9yzel.jpg

I even printed one that runs on 9 Volt batteries.

2HLFXwR.jpg

The U is not for under water, might be for Underwriter's LTD, not sure. I don't remember the military specs, but these lights are water resistant to about 1 meter of so.

EDIT - looked up the spec, it calls for watertightness for 1 hour in 3 feet of salt water @ 77F.

Last edited:

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
ok thanks that is good enough i meant not for diving 1 feet is close enough to ipx7. the acu camo variant of fulton right angle is nice. the elektrolumen 240 lumen mod is same water resistance?(3ft, 1 hr of being inside water) thanks for info that very helpful. i want the elektrolumen variant because firstlight usa made a crappy firstlight usa torq nv. the strobe, after press 5 times repeatedly , keeps failing intemittently. also the waterproof seal is very horrible. water gets in seal, even after they "fixed" the defect. the firstlight usa torq nv is max 169 lumens on max output , that is good enough for outside work in daylight(to look at engine components of car during car maintenance) the intent is to replace the firstlight usa torq nv with the acu universal camo patten(ucp variant) of the fulton industries right angle light, as a daylight hour work light.

Last edited:

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
hmm i also have a 14032 sidewinder Military model with 55 lumens , am aware 55 lumens is not enough. thats why purchased the firstlight torq usa , because its 3.072727272727273‬ times more lumen output, which is good, but they screwed it up with defects that could not be fixed even after sent to facility to repair(which costed $31.85 canadian dollars to ship to facility)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PR6 with a pair of D cells is about 6 focused lumens. Not really bright enough to peer into an engine bay outdoors in the sunshine.

The U was for underwater, like when walking through a swamp of Vietnam with water up to the soldiers chest with the light perhaps 6" to a foot under water for a couple of minutes. But that was about as reliable as the plastic rifles (the M14?) the US military issued to soldiers. The 991 used a gasket at both ends that did actually provide some underwater protection, but nothing like modern lights.
Fulton still produces versions of the 991.

My favorite daylight engine bay light used to be a Coast HP1 zoomie but they stopped making it. So now a Streamlight stylus pro "reach" is my favorite.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok thanks that is good enough i meant not for diving 1 feet is close enough to ipx7. the acu camo variant of fulton right angle is nice. the elektrolumen 240 lumen mod is same water resistance?(3ft, 1 hr of being inside water) thanks for info that very helpful. i want the elektrolumen variant because firstlight usa made a crappy firstlight usa torq nv. the strobe, after press 5 times repeatedly , keeps failing intemittently. also the waterproof seal is very horrible. water gets in seal, even after they "fixed" the defect. the firstlight usa torq nv is max 169 lumens on max output , that is good enough for outside work in daylight(to look at engine components of car during car maintenance) the intent is to replace the firstlight usa torq nv with the acu universal camo patten(ucp variant) of the fulton industries right angle light, as a daylight hour work light.

The 300 or now 350 lumen 2 AA Rayovac indestructible lights from home depot would probably be good for this.

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
bykfixer ,xxo stated that EDIT - looked up the spec, it calls for watertightness for 1 hour in 3 feet of salt water @ 77F.(for fulton industries military right ang lite, so i trust the information, and that its a good heavy duty light that can handle water submerging(not diving, but under 0.91 meters of water for 1 hour).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes ok but im only interested in military lights.

The US military doesn't use the old moonbeams as much as they did in the past......a lot of Maglites such as the 2 and 3 D cell LEDs and the Magtac have NSN's and are used by the military along with assorted Surefires and streamlights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag-Tac may not have the most modern LED but it is a very good light - highly underrated. The Mag-tac seems to be as water resistant as many of the lights with higher ratings......apparently Mag understates water resistance so that people don't take them scuba diving and complain when water gets in. Also many of the Chinese manufactures greatly exaggerate their specs or make them up completely.

mrnobman

Newly Enlightened
oh ok i dont buy chinese flashlight anyways. but if they underrate it doesnt give much confidence. maybe they should state the actual resistance rating it can stand, then its ok. unless they do that , would not buy the surefire g2x(yes its nice it has the aluminum strike bezel with polymer body in military color) or the mag tac. also magtac has complaints about the switch being unreliable. although from personal experience only the firstlight usa torq nv has failed me( the strobe, is very painful to activate, bad ergonomics, and the strobe doesnt work all the time. so i guess ok .