Nearly half of U.S. households use LED bulbs for all or most of their indoor lighting

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
An entire generation will be raised knowing only 80 CRI indoor lighting

Interesting stats.

At least I have options. I like options. As a rule, the more the better. I don't believe I live in a locale that tries to decide for me...yet - at least I can still use what I personally like and choose.

I do most of my living by Feit >90 CRI A19 LEDs (my choice), and they look very good to me, and I can cook a steak just right by them. I even have a choice of 3 CTs.

I'm single, 2 cats, no kids, am poor, and rent - so I'm not sure I fit in the stats, but I think kids would do just fine with them if I had any...and in 2022 my lights would be the least of my worries if I did:)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
An entire generation will be raised knowing only 80 CRI indoor lighting
LED bulbs are readily available in CRIs up to 95. This is quite unlike the situation with CFLs, where most were 80, and you had to hunt for 90. Anecdotally, a CRI 80 LED looks as good a CRI 90 CFL since the spectrum is continuous, without the gaps present in fluorescent spectra.

Both CFLs and LEDs make CCTs besides the high 2000s readily available. Incandescent may have a CRI of 100 on paper, but the yellow bias renders a lot of colors unnaturally. I prefer lighting that is closer to sunlight.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
& they won't even know what they're missing.
Well, I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s. I can tell you they won't miss much. I remember going blind trying to read by dim incandescent bulbs. I also remember not being able to do stuff like separate navy blue and black items of clothing. I used to do my homework in the kitchen under the circline fluorescent. As lousy as those old halophosphor fluorescents were in terms of CRI, the more natural color temperature more than made up for it. The color distortion of incandescents did and does give me major headaches. They might have been more palatable to me if we had a filament material which remained solid at 4000K to 5000K but we don't.

Don't get me started on how hot things got in the summer if you wanted to light a room to any reasonable intensity with incandescents. A few 200 watt bulbs is like running a space heater.
Even sadder is that they'll probably eventually ban the sale of incandescent household bulbs altogether. Its nice to have the choice. I like my halogens.
The way things are heading a ban won't be necessary. Like lots of other things, eventually so few people will want them that it will no longer be worth anyone's while to make them. Long before that the price will go up due to smaller volumes, further pushing more market share towards LEDs, whose price continues to drop.

I was actually pleasantly surprised LEDs made this big inroads.

hamhanded

Enlightened

Even sadder is that they'll probably eventually ban the sale of incandescent household bulbs altogether. Its nice to have the choice. I like my halogens.
Already happens in some places. I live in a state where incandescent bulbs are banned. Halogens are OK (for now)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my halogens.

When my options were standard incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent, I preferred halogen as much as possible; however now that I can get LEDs like the ones I'm using, I prefer to give my air conditioning (and thus my power bill as well) a break.:)

EDIT: Added 'halogen' to first sentence.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm be gone even further. I have all smart bulbs that can change their colour. And they do so on their own depending on the time of day. From 3k in the morning to 5k during the day back down to 3k in the evening. They're great. No more burned out bulbs. One command and they all turn off. Including tv. When I wake up select ones are already on at the intensity and cct I've chosen

ledbetter

Enlightened
My last incandescent. Good for 6000 hours or so it says. Inherited a box of these when I bought a house in the 90's, and it's survived 5 moves since. Great bulb and used daily in a bath fixture mixed with hi cri leds.
74426F9D-71DC-4141-B798-B8EA7770F6C4.jpeg
A1CA2B4B-6581-4B1D-A68E-E967AA638707.jpeg

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Oh I'll know what I'm 'missing' and won't much miss it at all. Sure old-school incandescents were all theoretically ~100 CRI, but that's because they're blackbody radiators, which can be deficient in green/blue spectrum yet still hit that high CRI value. Halogens didn't move the needle much for me either.

I expect that last package of A19 incandescents I bought a decade plus ago to become collectible before I'm inclined to use one.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halogens didn't move the needle much for me either.
Yeah, the halogens at home weren't so great for me because of their CRI - it was all about the color temp. Same with my Cibie H4 halogen replacements in my car back in the '70s. They revolutionized my night driving. Of course they also weren't DOT approved at the time, so they also got me pulled over on the Interstate periodically:-(. They had a righteous beam pattern that didn't negatively impact anyone (except deer off the right shoulder), but they looked so beautiful it was obvious back then that they had to be illegal to look that good. TX and VA were the worst as I recall.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive kinda plateaued in my search for LED lights with Malkoff, so im mostly after the classic incans these days. They just excite me for some reason. But Im also the guy who still uses typewriters, so maybe Im not one to ask.
Y'all can have your LEDs , more bulbs for me.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm be gone even further. I have all smart bulbs that can change their colour. And they do so on their own depending on the time of day. From 3k in the morning to 5k during the day back down to 3k in the evening. They're great. No more burned out bulbs. One command and they all turn off. Including tv. When I wake up select ones are already on at the intensity and cct I've chosen

That's some fancy stuff! Ain't technology great (at least most of the time:))?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive kinda plateaued in my search for LED lights with Malkoff, so im mostly after the classic incans these days. They just excite me for some reason. But Im also the guy who still uses typewriters, so maybe Im not one to ask.
Y'all can have your LEDs , more bulbs for me.

Options / choices are great. If you dig the light that comes out of that Strion Incan you got recently, then we're still on the same wavelength - or at least in the same spectral range of appreciation. The quality of the light was not the reason why I moved on to the Strion LED. There's nothing wrong with a good typewriter either! They work, don't restart, and don't have software bugs!

I purchased a dozen of these from Prometheus Lights a year ago. I've never looked back.
Image 4-27-22 at 5.23 PM.jpg