Need a durable AA Headlamp with a red LED

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for my BD Storm, I'd prefer something that will run of AA's. I'm in the military, it needs to be durable and waterproof. What are my best options?

bryanvin

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a petzl tactikka xp for several years now. Runs on 2 AAA. Bought it 12 years ago for a 2 week camping trip in Costa Rica. It doesnt have red led but has a sliding lens so you can change from white to red, blue, or green. Its very durable and fairly inexpensive, have used it in the rain, dropped in the mud, kicked around, dropped, etc.. Not the best throw light, but it does flood 20-30yard in front very well. I now use it for mainly tracking animals at night while hunting.

I don't have anything else to compare it to, just my experience with this light.. Good luck.

MGRS

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Sidewinder compact II.
-Can run on Cr123, AA, or AAA.
-White, red, blue, and IR. All have four levels and beacon.
-Includes helmet mount, headband, and has a molle clip.
-Submersible

I'm also mil. I just picked one of these up and it is going to replace my surefire headlamp next go around.

3ricchu

Newly Enlightened
Just throwing my own 2 cents in here. I also had a Petzl Tactikka-XP. It was great when running on white light, but in my own experience, when on red filter mode, the light output seemed dim to me. I'm not looking for something along the line of the ZebraLight H51r, but I can't seem to find any in stock.

Yorgi

Newly Enlightened
Another option with a decent red led is the Olight H15. The one thing I like about this headlamp is the hands-free "wave" interface which is useful when your hands are dirty/gloved etc... Here is a good review on CPF.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
(
The XTAR H1 has a main bright White LED and a small 3 lumen Red LED correct? If the thread starter is looking for a military application light, he might be looking for a light that has a bright Red main LED.
The headlamp space is limited on its own (although it is starting to expand recently) let alone for headlamps with a red LED, so all I am doing is giving people options that they may not have been aware of. It's up to them to see if it fits the bill.