Need a good backup light for on duty use.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had my butt on the line, I would go with the Surefire G2Z or 6P or the Streamlight NF-2. In my opinion they were specifically made for the Law Enforcement market and the resulting harsh duty. The Pelican M6 that I handled was rough, threads were not cut that great and I wouldn't trust my life on it. Pelican is fine for the average dude but not as a professional tool.
Sorry just my opinion. ( Just a side note when I was involved in Law enforcement related field, the guys I worked with said Surefire is for SWAT and Streamlight for beat cops. I think they were refering to the extra cost and prestige more than anything else, but I haven't seem that much evidence to the contrary.)

GregR

oklalawman

Enlightened
Why do you need a backup light. Are you looking for one in case you primary light goes out or for in case if you drop your main light?? I am also a cop (18 years). I have 2 stinger hps, One on my belt the other in the charger. They are set up the same that away I dont have to try to use a different piece of equipment. One is always in the charger the other on my belt. The most used flashlight on my person is a Streamlight led. It is great for approaching houses in stealth mode...which is what I do all night (warrants). If I am using my main light and drop it so forth it provides more than enough illumnation to find it. It also is good for Sfst. I guess you could say my back up is the Straemlight m6 that stays mounted on my Glock. That is what I would recommend to you. Normal usage it could stay on your belt. If it is gun time you can attach it (provide you have rails) and have a gun light. Emergency flashligt if main one fails. 90 to 120 lumens(mfg claims). I like mine. It does double duty in the same space.

I have two of the pelicans (one led, one incadescent and I would not heistate to use it on duty. I have one mounted to my 12 gauge at home and it has never lost a bulb.

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
Im a LEO, my main light is the SF M3 w/225lm bulb. my choice for a back-up light is the SF L4. it's small, light weight and has excelent burn time. The amount of light it produces is good enough for tactical use if need be and you can get a T.I.D. for it as well.

good luck
J.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of the poor quality of LED lights in situations with ambient light such as dusk or street lamps, I really think you should stick with incandescent for LEO/security work. Here's another vote for the Surefire G2Z. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Caspertoo

Newly Enlightened
I can really see where a LED would be nice, using it for lighting with citation writing, reports etc. I was looking at Flashlightreviews.com and saw that he just got done reviewing the new Surefire L2.

Any opinions? This thing is 4.3 ounces with batteries, totally meets my weight needs. Has a high output of 89!! for 60 minutes with a low of like 10 for 18 hours. Ruggidly built. Any opinions? The only con to it is the non-recessed tail button and the length of it is slightly longer than the others.

Steve C

Enlightened
The L2 is a great light; but not for LEO work. I handled one a while back.

You're right in that an LED is great for writing reports and using around suspects that are compliant. But the problem with LEDs in ambient light, as mentioned by leukos above, makes them totally unsuitable for "serious" work. Basically, the LED beam will not penetrate shadows outside the cast of any ambient light; and what you cannot see can hurt you. I found this out first-hand the night I used my L4 on a raid.

I haven't been on the road, in uniform, for many years. If I went back, my trusty old 6P would ride on my gun belt as back-up to either an issue Stinger or my even older (and equally trusty) SL-20.

You'll find that one light just won't do everything, especially in law enforcment work. A small auxillary LED, kept in the seat organizer where you can get to it at your leisure, is real handy. You do not want something too bright for this.

But your main lights should be incandescent, very bright, and attached to you. You're only as good as what you've got, to hand, when the flag goes up. A back-up light in the unit is useless if you have to dash for cover away from the car.

I'll echo the recommendation of a G2. If they had been available in 1990, when I bought my 6P, that's what I would have bought. You can get a dedicated scabbard for the gun belt, or just stick it in your off-side pocket; its small enough for that. And you cannot beat the price.

For ticket-writing, interviewing during a stop, etc., a Streamlight LED Task light or the Lux JR would fill the bill perfectly without costing a chunk of change. But have that powerful incan where you can grab it right NOW.

I carried that 6P next to my cuffs. It came in handy more than once, when my SL-20 was out of reach for some reason.

The SureFire A2 Aviator is a PERRFECT back-up light, since it has the low LEDs for administrative stuff and the bright incan for emergencies. Pricey, yes... but cheap insurance in the grand overall scheme. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Latest posts