Need advice, for small powerful LED flashlight!

Marduke

Flashaholic
The thing I don't like about the 6P as a duty-type light is the twist momentary tailswitch. It seems that you have two choices. It's either A) always being bumped and coming on accidentally because you have it set so a quick press gives momentary light or B) you have it locked out, so when you need it, it won't come on and you suddenly remember that it's locked out, and you need two hands to turn it on. B is a bad situation for moment when "I need lots of light, and I need it now!!"

A forward clicky remedies that problem.

Just my experience, YMMV

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
Hey just wanted to thank you to everyone here for your input on my thread! This is such a knowledgable and friendly forum. So helpfull. Anyway so I guess at this point I'm torn between going the M60 mod on the SF 6P, or waiting to see what the new Fenix T10 has to offer. Both seem to be the right choice for me. I'm excited to get whatever I get that's for sure!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The thing I don't like about the 6P as a duty-type light is the twist momentary tailswitch. It seems that you have two choices. It's either A) always being bumped and coming on accidentally because you have it set so a quick press gives momentary light or B) you have it locked out, so when you need it, it won't come on and you suddenly remember that it's locked out, and you need two hands to turn it on. B is a bad situation for moment when "I need lots of light, and I need it now!!"

A forward clicky remedies that problem.

Just my experience, YMMV

There's a solution in between A and B.

Twist the tailcap on the 6P until it locks out. Then, twist it back down a bit. Now you have a light that isn't locked out, can be used with one hand, and you don't have to worry about it accidentally turning on if bumped.

I've done this on my Surefire C2. It works well that way.

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
Oh Wow! I just took a look at the new catalog from Surefire 2008! Now I'm really excited. Might have to wait and check out a few of those! Looks like a substancial difference over last year's models.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 3 lights I would choose from are the:

Dereelight CL1H
Fenix T1/T10(or whatever the new one will be called)
6P with a good LED drop-in.

All are 160+ lumen(well, depends on the drop-in for the 6P). The Dereelight and 6P would be the most upgradeable.

Out of those, I'd pick the Dereelight CL1H mainly because of the clicke and 18650 compatible.

Surefire does seem to have a good number of new things for this year.

You could also get a drop-in for the 3D as a backup light.

Xak

Enlightened
Oh Wow! I just took a look at the new catalog from Surefire 2008! Now I'm really excited. Might have to wait and check out a few of those! Looks like a substancial difference over last year's models.

You may also want to give the Inova T-series and the Insight Typhoon 2 a look at as well. Both high quality American companies. I own an old Inova T3, and while the old LED in it is not quite bright enough for my taste they are built like tanks and are now fitted with newer, brighter LED technology.

http://www.inovalight.com/home.html

http://www.botachtactical.com/inh2xtyii.html

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE!

I decided to order the Malkoff M60 drop in and the SureFire Z2. Ordered both just now and I should have them by the end of the week! Can't wait! Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, I took everything into consideration. What it came down to was that I needed something now so I couldn't wait for new SureFire products to come out later this year. I use my light every night while on patrol and now I'll have everything by week's end. I really liked the sleek look and feel of the Z2 so that's why I went with that host. The M60 drop in was spoken about very highly by everyone and seemed to solve my desire for a very powerful 235 lumen beam. Can't wait to fire that thing up at night for someone. It's really handy to use a bright light when approaching a suspect....most times the reach up and cover their eyes right away which allows me to see if they are carrying anything. Anyway this should do the trick and from what you all have said is a good buy for what I need. Cheers! :twothumbs

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Concealco line of leather duty holsters. you will find one perfectly suited for the 6P/malkoff setup you have picked.
As was mentioned get on the malkoff mailing list and get ready to act fast. when he does have them for sale go to the site and add one to the basked and pay for it as quickly as possible they go quick!!
The concealco leather can take some time to receive because they are semi custom..made to order of the highest quality leather.
The prices they charge are extremely reasonable too.
Yaesumofo