• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need advice on MM@g sandwiches

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously considering investing $$ on one or two custom sandwich modules thru Wayne's BK custom sandwich program.
The modules will be straightly for use in 2AA M@gs only and bulb choice will be restricted to LuxI (S**H) and LuxIII (U**J) only (I will be providing my LEDs instead of purchasing them from Wayne).
Will be using the M@g system in different power choices, in order of preference:
LiIon (14500/14670)>AA L91 primaries>hi-cap LSD AA NiMH>oxyalkaline (eg. Oxyride)>AA

I have the following questions:
1. Are GD boards better than BBNG, and how (aside from better efficiency)? What will the deciding factor on the choice of board?
2. For LuxI (likely SX0H), what would be the most appropriate (over)driving currents? 750mA, 917mA, 1A? I need a module that yields brightness, above-average runtime (60-90 minute range under regulation) without problems in heat dissipation (overheating) etc.;
3. For LuxIII (U**J), is GD1000 an appropriate choice? Is it more likely to cause overheating problems in the M@g system? Will hi-cap NiMHs and L91 primaries be capable to drive this engine without problems?

Kindly advise!

greenLED

Flashaholic
IMO, anything over 500mA is too much in a minimag. 750mA will obviously be brighter, but the decrease in runtime relative to the 500mA versions don't make the "upgrade" worthwhile. At least that's my take on it.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with GreenLED. Running this at 500mA would be the best way to go.

Why do you want to use a Lux I over a Seoul p4 or Q5 Cree?

A p4 or Q5 at 500mA will put out more light and run cooler then a Lux I or III at 750 or 1 amp.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you want to use a Lux I over a Seoul p4 or Q5 Cree?
A p4 or Q5 at 500mA will put out more light and run cooler then a Lux I or III at 750 or 1 amp.
I have an abundance of old LuxI and LuxIIIs, plus optics that are optimized for them.
I only have a few Seoul P4s and have assigned them to other projects.
I'm not a fan of Cree and don't have any of them.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I built some heatsinked GD917 Cree & SSC P4 sandwhiches here. They very bright but they can't be used for long periods of time. After about 7 mins it starts to get uncomfortable to hold. So if your using it as a work light, I agree with Miguel, 500ma, P4, & NG would be the best way to go. Not sure if Wayne offeres Cree sandwhiches yet. I see no reason to even make a Lux sandwich anymore.

You mentioned you will be using power choices if the following order: LiIon (14500/14670)>AA L91 primaries>hi-cap LSD AA NiMH>oxyalkaline (eg. Oxyride)>AA

How will you be using the li-ion, with a spacer or in a shortened Mag? Obviously in a shortened Mag you won't be able to use NiMhs & alkalines anymore. You could use two li-ions with SOB sandwhich but nothing else. IMO the only reason to use a li-ion is to be able to use a shortened Mag for it's smaller size. If you want to stick with the 2AA form factor, NiMhs have way more capacity will give you better runtime. If you're going to use NiMhs alkalines stick with the NG. If you want to use one li-ion then go with the GD.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How will you be using the li-ion, with a spacer or in a shortened Mag? ...IMO the only reason to use a li-ion is to be able to use a shortened Mag for it's smaller size. If you want to stick with the 2AA form factor, NiMhs have way more capacity will give you better runtime. If you're going to use NiMhs alkalines stick with the NG. If you want to use one li-ion then go with the GD.
I have custom spacers for the 14500/14670.
BTW, why is it that LiIon does not work well on a BBNG? And why are NiMHs not suitable for use on a GD?

Latest posts