Need an AM radio with excellent reception

StarHalo

Flashaholic
In regards to the Superadio three versions have been mentioned. Is the Superadio III the one to go looking for or do the first two models stand out as better stock versions?

What about the RCA RP7887 compared to the older Superadios versions?

The second version, the Superadio II, is generally considered to be the best performing of the three (and built better than the third.) The RCA RP7887 is the same thing as a Superadio III, just with an RCA badge.

EBay usually has a steady supply of any particular model you're looking for; if you'd prefer to buy something new, the available-everywhere Eton S350DL is essentially the current equivalent of the Superadio line.

boss429

Newly Enlightened
As a ham I think The $150 buget is the limiting factor. I think maybe ten times that amount would do a jam up job.
So my suggetion is to throw money at the problem-lol:D

Radiophile

Enlightened
Yes, I've used the SSB successfully many times to listen to Armed Forces Radio; if you use it on a non-SSB broadcast, you just get the quack effect regardless of where you set it.

Either the fine tune pot must be very coarse (fast tuning) on your radio or the SSB filter doesn't have a good slope and cannot eliminate the AM carrier. Perhaps those are the limitations you must accept with a portable radio. At least you've got synchronous to work around it. I understand why you like it so much.

Radiophile

Enlightened
In regards to the Superadio three versions have been mentioned. Is the Superadio III the one to go looking for or do the first two models stand out as better stock versions?

What about the RCA RP7887 compared to the older Superadios versions?

I own every model of Superadio except two - the digital one and the new RCA branded model. All are excellent once aligned well. The older models seem to be less likely to need an alignment. The model III seems to be subject to a lot less quality control by the manufacturer and often needs a touch up to work well, but then works as well as the older models.

If I were to buy another right now, I'd look for a Superadio or Superadio II in nice but not excellent shape. It should cost about the same a new RCA model, but be easier to work on or fix should the need arise, and I think they are built a lot tougher too.

I'm always looking for a bargain Superadio, but I mostly buy the boomboxes instead of the standard models because they are rarer and have more features. For example, they all have signal meters even if they are only LED meters, and cassette recorders. And they are all about Superadio II vintage, so they are built like tanks.

For the record, my best performing Superadio is a model III. It's had a performance modification for greater selectivity and I got the tuning dial to track much better than stock. From what I understand, Thompson incorporated the selectivity fix (or at least as close as they were willing to go in a production radio) to their later manufactured Superadio IIIs, but the dials are still an issue.

Anyone have a digital Superadio they want to sell?

Radiophile

Enlightened
As a ham I think The $150 buget is the limiting factor. I think maybe ten times that amount would do a jam up job.
So my suggetion is to throw money at the problem-lol:D

Agreed! A 390A should fill the bill! I still don't understand why the surplus 390As were destroyed during the cold war. Hams should have been given the opportunity to purchase them instead. Wouldn't it be nice to listen to MW and SW AM broadcasts on a radio that's still considered the best HF receiver ever built?

For $150 I think the best buy is the DX-302. Triple conversion and selectable filters. You'll need an antenna, but a 12" or greater loop should work well. It doesn't quite have the features of a modern communications receiver, but for MW AM it's got all that you need, and there are lots of modifications out there for even better performance.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a necromancer!

hotlinked image deleted

I always had a dormant radio itch. Resulted in this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014T7W8Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20. This model was discontinued for some time. Saw claims to revive production in the end of February and I decided to take advantage of a discount.

It is nearly a full equivalent of the Tecsun S2000 with minor differences. But I like the label :) Once upon a time Grundig was a well known German radio manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I always had a dormant radio itch. Resulted in this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014T7W8Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20.

A fun and very versatile radio that's a solid SW performer, but the thread subject is AM, and the Satellit doesn't fare well versus many current portables when using its built-in antenna (but it does beautifully with an external antenna, which it is specifically designed to accept.) Can't deny those looks though..

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
for portable the panasonic rf-2200 cleaned up and alignment touched up is unbeatable.
home use the r-390a in my tests beats all.
a bit of work to restore but once that is done i doubt you will find anything that comes remotely close.

titanize

Newly Enlightened
One other radio is fairly close... but BOTH are NOT available under $200 unless fixer-upper. Panasonic made the RF-B65 (and 45) models that most hams claim to be within a whisker of the RF-2200. I would claim these 3 to be the best made at MW-DX sans antenna.

Regards
titanize

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my personal experience I was astonished to discover that the best AM(MW) reception was demonstrated by an old Panasonic RF-3500 (GX-500).