Need Help Choosing: Fenix TK 41 vs Crelant 7G5

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I may be able to save you some money on the TK41. There are 2 guys that I like to deal with that have some of the best prices I know of. You may want to try them. Andy probably has that light and Shane might as well.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Shane has 9 of the TK41's. I'm going to say he could sell it to you if you contact him directly for around $107 shipped if you are in the US.

Enlightened
Thanks for the help again, 2100. You've always been very kind and helpful with me so far, so I think I'll take your advice and go for the TK41 for now. At the moment, I just don't want to have to be worrying about checking voltage every time I charge my batteries. The first multi li-ion cell light I buy will definitely be the Crelant, though. I mean, the new one that replaces this model, because apparently this model did so well that they are replacing it with a new, more expensive one!

No problem, hey where did you read about the new replacement Crelant? That's new to me.

Oh...found it on their website. The 7G3. Looks a bit fugly though. The 7G5 is something like a plain jane to me initially, even the T40CS looks better (it's already not a looker). But in real life it looks much better. The HA means biz, really very matt. BTW, the 7G3 would not throw as well as the 7G5.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the TK41 because:

Built like a tank
Runs on AAs which are reliable and safe even if abused
Can run on only 4AAs
Very bright
Good throw
Output levels well spaced

I run mine on Eneloops, so this is also a bit of an investment and use the Technoline BL-700 charger, but knowing a 4 pack of AA alkalines will give me plenty of usable light (although not the Turbo output) give me flexibility.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the Fenix :)

Good to hear, because I've already ordered one! I see that you own one. Is it a very good thrower? I'm hoping for 50kcd, but I don't have the equipment to measure that stuff anyway and it's kind of irrelevant. It's just that I would feel better knowing that my light was worth the money I paid. :)

Andy just told me that the price of the TK41 is $100 plus freight.
Thanks for all of the help, ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS! I've already picked out what I think is a pretty sweet deal though. I got the Fenix TK41 with 8 Eneloop Batteries for 130 shipped. Since I live in Canada, buying Eneloops is a bit tough to do locally (well, maybe I just haven't looked around yet), so I thought this was a nice deal. I ordered it from HKEquipment.net

No problem, hey where did you read about the new replacement Crelant? That's new to me.

Oh...found it on their website. The 7G3. Looks a bit fugly though. The 7G5 is something like a plain jane to me initially, even the T40CS looks better (it's already not a looker). But in real life it looks much better. The HA means biz, really very matt. BTW, the 7G3 would not throw as well as the 7G5.

That's actually a disgusting looking flashlight, in my opinion. Are you sure it's replacing the 7G5? Bad move on Crelant's part...some people might like it though.
But, personally, I think the T40CS is a very good looking flashlight! :p

I would choose the TK41 because:

Built like a tank
Runs on AAs which are reliable and safe even if abused
Can run on only 4AAs
Very bright
Good throw
Output levels well spaced

I run mine on Eneloops, so this is also a bit of an investment and use the Technoline BL-700 charger, but knowing a 4 pack of AA alkalines will give me plenty of usable light (although not the Turbo output) give me flexibility.

These are the main reasons I chose the TK41; however, I was unaware that it could run on 4AAs! Is there a particular way you must enter the batteries into the carrier? Also, with 4 Eneloops or 8 alkalines, can you use the Turbo output? My light is coming shipped with 8 Eneloops, so that's pretty convenient. I still need to invest in a charger though. I suspect a cheap charger will serve me well for now (or forever).

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have the 7G5. It's an excellent thrower, it can be called the hidden gem.

The TK41 uses 8 cells, I do not know how comfortable is to carry and you have to wait until 8 cells are charged.

7G3 can't be the replacement since it's older than the 7G5.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys have any suggestions for a relatively cheap AA charger? My budget is 30 dollars shipped to Canada...I would have more money to spend on the charger but I'm already over-budget with the Fenix alone. :p Are those Duracell chargers that are available at Costco and come with 4 rechargeable AA batteries sufficient? Or should I be looking for something else?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html
I'm interested in this one.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Do you guys have any suggestions for a relatively cheap AA charger? My budget is 30 dollars shipped to Canada...I would have more money to spend on the charger but I'm already over-budget with the Fenix alone. :p Are those Duracell chargers that are available at Costco and come with 4 rechargeable AA batteries sufficient? Or should I be looking for something else?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html
I'm interested in this one.
I have that charger and IMO it performs very well. It usually charges my completely depleted eneloops in about 3-4 hours. I also just purchased the 16 bay Titanium MD-1600L yesterday during their sale so I can now charge three sets of batteries.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
I have that charger and IMO it performs very well. It usually charges my completely depleted eneloops in about 3-4 hours. I also just purchased the 16 bay Titanium MD-1600L yesterday during their sale so I can now charge three sets of batteries.

It looks to be a fantastic charger. However, I've just realized that they are charging fifteen dollars to have it shipped to Canada. That's more than half the cost of the charger, which, frankly, doesn't seem logical to me. If there are no other suggestions, I may just have to go ahead and purchase that one. I'm sure I'd be satisfied with it, but my wallet would not, especially after the TK41 purchase.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations on picking the Fenix TK41, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks! I can't wait to get it! Actually, I'd prefer if it arrived just a few days before Christmas; otherwise, I'd have a hard time keeping my hands off of it until the 25th!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
however, it utilizes two 18650 lithium ion batteries, which is not the safest combination. If I purchase this light, I will need to buy a pack of two Trustfire 2400 mAh batteries, as well as a cheap multimeter to test voltage to ensure safety.
I think the potential risk is a bit exaggerated. With good protected cells and intelligent charger it's pretty safe (no DMM). Actually 8AAs in one light can be much more problematic. Why? Because any disbalance between the cells (eg with internal resistance) may cause one to discharge quicker than the others. Discharge to 0 or even reverse polarity. That would kill this battery completely and it happened for many people.

PS. 7G5 has heavily driven, higher binned (U2 vs. T6) emitter with wider and deeper reflector - I think it's even better than TK41 and M3X.

iLoveLight

Newly Enlightened
I think the potential risk is a bit exaggerated. With good protected cells and intelligent charger it's pretty safe (no DMM). Actually 8AAs in one light can be much more problematic. Why? Because any disbalance between the cells (eg with internal resistance) may cause one to discharge quicker than the others. Discharge to 0 or even reverse polarity. That would kill this battery completely and it happened for many people.

PS. 7G5 has heavily driven, higher binned (U2 vs. T6) emitter with wider and deeper reflector - I think it's even better than TK41 and M3X.

You're probably right about that whole risk conundrum. Nevertheless, I feel safer using AAs than I do using LiCo cells. I was contemplating the purchase of some LiMn cells which likely would have reduced the risk of explosion even more, but decided against it after discovering that their capacity is significantly lower, and there is a good chance of them being overcharged.
I agree with you on the final point - the Crelant 7G5 isdefinitely the more powerful between the two lights. I'm sure the Fenix will, as everyone mentioned, still pleasantly surprise me. I like the idea of having a variety of modes to choose from, and the UI on the Fenix seems to be superior to the UI on the Crelant.