NEED HELP PGL-IIIA

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
The other Day I bought a 80mW PGL-III-A(EnVee) straight from CNI and I would like to know whether it would be able to light a match or not,because mine cant,by the way my match has a red tip and was not colored with black marker+it was pretty hard to light up with in the first place. It might be because of the batteries because I used it 2 to 4 times before I tried the test. I also have a bit of hard time cutting black electrical tape, but after putting some weight on the tape, it starts to cut a bit better. It smokes leather and creates a sting on my skin tho. I would like to know whether this is normal or is it that my laser's lens are not colliminated as well as the others and has a larger beam divergence?Never tried with balloon so far,but trying to get my hands on them.
can some one help me?
sigh.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif
help.gif

And what power would you rate this laser,Im not such an expert myself, sorry.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoLnOCnkBTo&mode=related&search=

Last edited:

dr_lava

Enlightened
Some matches just don't light easily. Try another kind of red. The way it cuts the tape I'd say it's approx. 80, so you're OK. No doubt it will pop baloons quite quickly.

For divergence, you can measure that yourself, just shoot the beam a long way, measure the spot size and the distance, and report back.

Those moth vids are pretty nasty. I'd guess you're at level 2 on the spycho-torture rank. congrats. don't go farther :)

Last edited:

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Thx For the info dr.lava but what would be the best batteries to use on the laser other than the ennergizer e2? perhaps rechargables?:huh:

Those vids are not from my laser tho, found it on you tube and just wanted to know their power rating.

Last edited:

dr_lava

Enlightened
rechargable nimh are 1.2v not 1.5v, so usually not reccommended. You could probably do well with lithium, but would have to check voltage on those. e2 seems to be the best 'normal' battery mentioned around here. Good luck.

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Dr.lava how could you have replied so fast?! ok anyway, what battery voltage should I use on the PGL-III-A?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi abeepak1,
What is the divergence?

To find out, measure the diameter of the beam spot from a distance of at least 25 feet, 50 ft is better. Report back here with the exact diameter as measured and the exact distance from the laser to the target.

I can then tell you the divergence.
You can also download the divergence calculator spreadsheet from the divergence page of my website if you like.

This could be part of the problem.
What ws the distance you tried to light the match from?
Make sure the laser and match are held steady while trying.

Take care
Jack

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Ive tried shining the beam to a black target which is 25feet away and the beam seems like its 1.1cm wide. Im not sure if it is the actual beem or not because I do not have the goggles just yet.(broke them a week ago) So I might be measuring the light that is spreaded out from the actual beam. So can these info help? Oh By the way, I was talking about the spot size sorry.

Last edited:

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
would a 2500mAh rechargable Energizer work fine on my PGL-III-A?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
abeepak1 said:
Ive tried shining the beam to a black target which is 25feet away and the beam seems like its 1.1cm wide. Im not sure if it is the actual beem or not because I do not have the goggles just yet.(broke them a week ago) So I might be measuring the light that is spreaded out from the actual beam. So can these info help? Oh By the way, I was talking about the spot size sorry.

Hi abeepak1,
1.1cm at 25 feet is within spec., but you said "seems like 1.1cm"???
Did you actually go up to the spot and measure it with a ruler of some type?
What about the distance? When measuring divergence, you just can't estimate... especially on the diameter/width of the beam spot.

If these are exact measurements, then the divergence is 1.25mrad.
Try getting the most accurate measurement you can. You might also put a piece of black paper up the wall to point the spot onto, this will cut down on the glare and give better results as well.

Jack

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
I did Go up and measure it right at the spot and I used a construction measuring tape to measure the distance between the laser and the target. And I said seems because as you know, not all rulers are the same and some are slightly off. I believe that I had the exact measurments within the limit of my tools. and thanks for the info anyway. I tried cutting the tape again but this time using a rechargable 2500mAh Energizer. Seems slightly easier, but still cant light matches. Wonder why?

Last edited:

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Use the free gas station maches, and ink them black. Even my pot modded pgl cant seem to light thoese regular red tip kitchen matches I dont know why.. OHWEll its still a cool laser dont worry bout it.

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Agree, I was asking this just because I wanted to know if there was some thing wrong with my laser. Thx:laughing:

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
:) How much output does your pot modded PGL give out anyway?

Last edited:

Madz

Enlightened
125mW(ish) but its not worth it. Mine was mode hopping pretty badly. You will probably destroy your lasers in a VERY short time.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Mine is definetly over 100mw been that way for couple of months, The other day my switch was alittle out of place so I took the module out of the tube, and turned it up a bit more. But it seems to have made it dimmer acording to my radio shack IR thermomenter, i dont know why but I really dont feel like messing with it more. So its fine how it is.

Edit: my laser is also very unstable and stays in a tem01, but I dont think its from modding it. It was that way before I messed with it..

Last edited:

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Whitelitee said:
i dont know why but I really dont feel like messing with it more. So its fine how it is.

Shouldnt have messed with it in the first place:thumbsdow and what does temp01 mean?

Last edited:

Athoul

Enlightened
TEMxy, x and y being numbers are used to describe a lasers mode of operation. More specifically the dot profile. TEM00 means the dot profile is a gausian dot (nice round circle), TEM01 or TEM10 both describe a profile as having two dots. The former has a second dot above on the y-axis, while the latter has an extra dot on the x-axis.