Need help with a kerosene lamp

Charlie_K

Newly Enlightened
I have this old kerosene lamp that I've been dressing up, fitted with a 10" regular bulge chimney for a #2 burner. A while back I found a good deal on a 10" green based shade, so I picked it and a tripod shade holder up. The only problem is the bulge is way too large to let the lamp sit down and rest on the tripod holder. I've since tried a slim bulge chimney, and even one of those slimline chimneys, and they give the same results; the shade simply won't touch the shade holder. I don't know what to do about this, if anything. Does anyone know what I can do, or should do?

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
i could not understand the question right. yes a picture is necessary along instructions on it.

Charlie_K

Newly Enlightened
Okay it's picture time. Here's the lamp in question with the tripod shade holder.

Here's the three chimneys I've got for it. Bulges measure 4", 3 5/8", and 3 1/3" across.

This is the shade I got for it, 10" across, 4" tall with a 2 3/4" opening.

Here's the lamp and shad with the chimney with the 4" bulge.

The 3 5/8" bulge.

And the 3 1/3" bulge.

In all of the cases, none of the chimneys allow for the shade to sit on the holder unless the arms are bent up. Even then they barely touch, and the contact causes the chimney to shift to the side, causing it to soot up. I don't know what to do, other than take off the holder, and just let the shade sit on the chimney for support, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do.

Baroutologos

Newly Enlightened
hey charlieK,

i suspect some of the elements (glass, shade, holders) are none the original for this kind of lantern therefore the inconsistencies for a nice fitting.
In my oppinion, the shade is the element that is least possible (?) to change. Therefore you have to alter the glass chimney or the holder by finding other ones or just tinkering (if happens to own a workshop)

lastly, i wouldn't feel ok to have the shade rest on the hot chimney. Maybe a thermal shock crack occur.Even though this is not the case, its not aesthetically sound to have the shade rest on chimney.
Your safer bet is go for finding a slimmer chimney that would fit lantern allowances.

cheers,
Barou

Charlie_K

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid a slimmer chimney isn't an option in this case, as I've already bought the slimmest one on the market. It looks like my only options are to buy a larger shade holder and try to trim it down, assuming one can be found that fits the burner, or buy a new shade with a larger opening at the top.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid a slimmer chimney isn't an option in this case, as I've already bought the slimmest one on the market. It looks like my only options are to buy a larger shade holder and try to trim it down, assuming one can be found that fits the burner, or buy a new shade with a larger opening at the top.

add thin copper tubing feet (extenders really)
to the ends of the holder arms that can reach up and hold the shade

bend it, slot it, make it fancy

Charlie_K

Newly Enlightened
add thin copper tubing feet (extenders really)
to the ends of the holder arms that can reach up and hold the shade

bend it, slot it, make it fancy

That sounds like a good idea. But I don't really have much of an understanding of what you're saying with regard to how to actually go about doing it. Now I might be the one in need of pictures.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a good idea. But I don't really have much of an understanding of what you're saying with regard to how to actually go about doing it. Now I might be the one in need of pictures.

this is what I was thinking

just get small copper tubing from the hardware store just a bit bigger than
the diameter of those holder arms

cut it in sections

crimp one end on the end of your shade holders

bend the rest in some fashion, up to reach the shade

bend it or cut a slot in it to 'catch and hold the edge of the shade'

build a prototype, once you have it figured out, make a better one or fancy it up
or leave it...

if you really don't care about looks and just want the shade held on get alligator clips with crimp
ends and crimp those on, and use the alligator jaws to hold the shade