Need help with Maglite

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Why not use protected batteries , they are easier to get most here mention unprotected could someone please explain this ?
I noticed that there are so many brands /types of lion batteries ..
which ones to choose :(

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
for a battery pack, it is better to use unprotected cells and add a seperate protection circuit to protect the entire pack. If all cells have protection circuits, they will switch off at different moments in the discharge cycle, since not all batteries are exactly the same. This will cause more current being asked from the remaining batteries which may or may not be a problem depending on the setup.
I can also imagin that charging could be interfering with all the different protection circuits although in the end you'll most likely end up with a charged batterypack.

so to avoid these complications, we use unprotected cells with 1 protection circuit to protect the complete pack.

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your complete answer makes sense now.:)

Are these batteries any good ... Was thinking of getting 8 off to make a pack with a PCA , any thoughts on burn time?
UltraFire*18650 lithium-ion*rechargeable*batteries. Rated at 3000 mah. (3.7 volts).

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your complete answer makes sense now.:)

Are these batteries any good ... Was thinking of getting 8 off to make a pack with a PCA , any thoughts on burn time?
UltraFire*18650 lithium-ion*rechargeable*batteries. Rated at 3000 mah. (3.7 volts).

DX sells real Sanyos. Those are supposed to be great. I have had good results with the green colored DX ones. They are either Ultra or Trust Fires

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good manufactures. Panasonic cost more but higher capacity. Although the Sanyo's are already welded up in a pack you could probably rewire it into a more suitable configuration.