Need help with some headlamp pros and cons.

WDR65

Enlightened
I've been waiting for a while for the PT Apex to come out. It looked like the perfect setup for what I needed. Then I made the mistake of going to the local REI to look for it and although they didn't have it they had the Petzl Tikka XP. I own a PT EOS but I like the Tikka a bit better for its extra features and it fits my head a bit better. I think I will get the Apex eventually, but for now the size of the Tikka XP is more attractive for carrying in my hunting bag and I really don't need super throw as I try to have a good bright incandescent as my primary and the headlamp is just a navigation thing and if my hands are full.

So is there anything I'm missing about this headlamp aside from the lack of regulation? I'd just like to hear some more opinions about this one and maybe the Myo XP also as I've played with them in the store but haven't had a chance to get them out in the field yet.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If weight is something to worry about, maybe you can use a BD Zenix IQ? Also regulated (and with a couple of modes), but uses 2AA, as oposed to 4AA in the Apex and 3AAA (Tikka). On the other hand, the Zenix IQ has a LuxI, IIRC, vs a LuxIII in the Apex.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Seems to me if you don't need all that much throw a Tikka XP would be a fine choice. I have a few Tikkka's and Tikka+'s and they're highly reliable and very useful lights. The Myo XP, in my mind, is to big/heavy for the amount of light it produces; if you don't mind the extra bulk you're better of with a Silva L1 or PT Apex. The BD Zenix IQ may be smaller and lighter than an Apex, but it still has a seperate batt.pack wich I find somewhat awkward at times.
As regards 2AA or 3AAA: can somebody tell me wich is the more efficient to power a Luxeon? I understand the easiest way to power LEDS is with 3 batts. in series , but AA pack more punch, are more widely available, and it's easier to recharge and buy even numbers of batts.

P.S.: just walked by my outdoor store, and they have the Tikka XP in stock, so I'll have some hands-on experience in a day or two.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would be more happy with the EOS you already have. If you want more of a flood light and less throw just put some satin tape over the lens. I thin the Petzl does more or less the same as the EOS, but isn't regulated. I would save my money for the Apex if you want/need a slightly bigger headlight which is brighter and runs longer.

I would put some lithiums in the EOS and keep it in your bag as a spare or loaner.

Sverre

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how consistent this is with different, similar lights but I can tell you that the Eos (3xAAA) soundly outperforms the Zenix IQ (2xAA) when both are used in high mode. Could it be that stepping up from 3V is inherently less efficient than starting at 4.5V?

Mark_van_Gorkom said:
As regards 2AA or 3AAA: can somebody tell me wich is the more efficient to power a Luxeon? I understand the easiest way to power LEDS is with 3 batts. in series , but AA pack more punch, are more widely available, and it's easier to recharge and buy even numbers of batts.

WDR65

Enlightened
Well I went out a picked up the Tikka XP today to compare to my EOS and I really am not impressed. I liked it in the store but once I got it home it was a different story. As for the Zenix IQ I owned one for a while and returned it because something about its beam gave me a headache. Both have features I like, but just not the output I was thinking they might have. I think I will try the Apex and see if it fits the bill. Might also try the new BD headlamp when it comes out to see how it compares to the EOS and Tikka XP. I think I'm gonna test the Tikka XP out tomorrow on a short scouting trip and if it doesn't impress me more I'll go ahead and take it back. Thanks for the ideas and if anybody has anything else go ahead. I'm learning more everyday on here.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I took a Tikka XP on my weeklong backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon, and found it to be a great light for setting up camp. The diffuser lens spreads out the light quite well. It's definitely not a thrower of a light, but is great for general camp duties and for reading a book at night.

I used it several hours each night, and never had to change the batteries during the trip. I was using RayOVac Alkalines in it.

I also brought along a River Rock 2AAA headlamp which on 'high' soundly trounced the Tikka XP on throw. I did have to change batteries once in it during the week. It was a great bargain for $15.

I also brought along two of the River Rock 2AAA flashlights. They came in handy for those midnite walks to the latrine. :)

Latest posts