Need mod idea for grip on a Black Bur Kershaw knife.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this knife about 1 month ago and I really like it. The problem the Trac-Tec grip which is almost like sandpaper, is really tearing up my jeans pocket. These are supposedly "inserts". Is there a way to take them out or is there a mod to smooth out the grips? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the knife I am referring to

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=87

highorder

Enlightened
IIRC, those panels are recessed yes?

if you feel competent, you could disassemble the knife and fill those areas with (black) epoxy. follow with some careful shaping from an abrasive sponge and you can re-contour the handle any way you want.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concur with highorder.

Disassemble and replace with a handle scale material you like. Maybe find a knife maker to mod it for you.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inserts appear to be glued in. Nothing you can easily take out or take apart. Thanks for the ideas folks. I am thinking of applying a thin coat of that black liquid plastic. That may help to smooth out the grip.

highorder

Enlightened
use black epoxy. nothing else will stay. also be sure to degrease with a decent solvent first!

grayelky

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried sanding the grip area? I also have one like this. Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Latest posts