• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-) (Taking Orders Again)

JJohn

Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Need Modded Work? 2013 ;-)

Thank you Vinh that helps a lot. So, for a V11R, perhaps just an emitter swap, not de-domed, might be the best idea. I like neutral tints and I am not going to get a huge improvement anyways unless you could also swap the reflector. So swapping to a smaller neutral emitter would give me nice tint and a noticeable but not huge gain in throw? Does that make sense?

Dedome chracteristics

Narrower beam angle but spill beam wide is the same, Narrow beam angle = more intense and smaller hot spot.
Spill beam wide is determine by the width and depth of your reflector
Cool tint XML will likely make your tint more neutral/yellow/green
Neutral or warm tint will make your tint 500-1000K lower/warmer in temperature
reduce lumen by 10-20%
Potentially reduce LED life although I haven't seen this yet

Personal opinion: Dedome deep large smooth reflectors light only. Leave everything else stock.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Yes that make sense. I have never installed an XPE2 in a V11R so I wont what the beam is like.

Thank you Vinh that helps a lot. So, for a V11R, perhaps just an emitter swap, not de-domed, might be the best idea. I like neutral tints and I am not going to get a huge improvement anyways unless you could also swap the reflector. So swapping to a smaller neutral emitter would give me nice tint and a noticeable but not huge gain in throw? Does that make sense?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dedome chracteristics...Potentially reduce LED life although I haven't seen this yet

Personal opinion: Dedome deep large smooth reflectors light only. Leave everything else stock.
Thanks for explanation. If de-dome increases intensity at the cost of reducing LED life I still think it's the right move for my situation, I have a couple really good hosts and I like the evolution of LEDs, i can see myself mailing u my host every year or 2 to upgrade to the latest & greatest LEDs :)

quokked

Enlightened

Hi Vinh,
I really love what my upgrade with my SF EB1 now, the tint is a lot better especially on low.
I've sent up a SF A2Z now for a Emitter Upgrade from the K2 TFFC to something with a bit more oompth... :)

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you swap the emitter in a Quark Mini CR2 to XP-G2 (with a better tint)?

Imon

Enlightened

Can you swap the emitter in a Quark Mini CR2 to XP-G2 (with a better tint)?

I would absolutely love to swap out the emitter in my 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 but I'm afraid that it's probably impossible with the Mini series of lights.
The head is one piece and I think the pill is screwed into the head and held into place with loctite. You'd need to heat the head up and use thin forceps to try and unscrew the pill out and even then I think you have a very big chance of damaging the driver.

Maybe Vinh has other experiences...? He has lost lights in the "line of duty" too so maybe it might be worth sacrificing a Mini or two. :p

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I successfully modded 6 Mini and broke 3. The risk in on you. LOL :)

I would absolutely love to swap out the emitter in my 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 but I'm afraid that it's probably impossible with the Mini series of lights.
The head is one piece and I think the pill is screwed into the head and held into place with loctite. You'd need to heat the head up and use thin forceps to try and unscrew the pill out and even then I think you have a very big chance of damaging the driver.

Maybe Vinh has other experiences...? He has lost lights in the "line of duty" too so maybe it might be worth sacrificing a Mini or two. :p

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Batting .667

I'm actually quite impressed. I imagined the odds would be lower than that.

Of the three I broke only 1 was a customer's. I am much more rough with my own stuff. LOL

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

MTG2 Flood Light. MASSIVE Heat Sink. Able to run for 5 min burst safely. Insanely bright and flood my entire huge backyard.

T60CS with Beautiful tint XML2 4000K Ahhhhhh :)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol WOW!! Any beam shots? What are the measurements and how much does it cost?

Wouldn't 3 MTG2s require 5 18650s to supply enough voltage?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Lol WOW!! Any beam shots? What are the measurements and how much does it cost?

It's around $150 but it's already sold. Its a customer special order. I building a Dual MTG2 version next for even more brightness and reliability as the current and heat will drop.

Fresh Light

Enlightened

Vinh
I've had plenty of time to use the hi cri xml2 lights you did. They have been fantastic. The LegionIIs have the most perfect beam of any light I have used. They still manage to throw easily more than a couple hundred yards but do so with no dark spots in the spill. Thoses lights are really special and you made them so much better with more power and much better cri. Thanks for an awesome job. Also you managed to get some throw out of the Big Bruiser.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's around $150 but it's already sold. Its a customer special order. I building a Dual MTG2 version next for even more brightness and reliability as the current and heat will drop.
I'm sure you will anyway but can you hook us up with pics and beamshots of this beast?

thundertree

Enlightened

Hey Vinh,

Thanks again for the Mentor mods. Beautiful work in reinvigorating these old lights with outstanding performance!

texas cop

Enlightened

Vinh, any chance of you looking at making a MT-G2 light running at about 5 amps with 3 modes in a short length light? I'm looking at a Fenix TK-35 or UniqueFire UF-F10 as the host. The UF-F10 has a lot of metal in the head for heat sinking. I've got 3 MT-G2's lights including your dropin, its a great LED for pushing the light the neighborhood barrier.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Vinh, any chance of you looking at making a MT-G2 light running at about 5 amps with 3 modes in a short length light? I'm looking at a Fenix TK-35 or UniqueFire UF-F10 as the host. The UF-F10 has a lot of metal in the head for heat sinking. I've got 3 MT-G2's lights including your dropin, its a great LED for pushing the light the neighborhood barrier.

3A Yes. 5A no...

Grumpy

Enlightened

Could you mod a Fenix TK75 2600 Lumen Triple Cree XM-L U2 to the 2nd generation XML with de-dome. Do you think that it would increase the throw capability of this light much? Do you have a warmer tint in the 2nd generation XML that you could use? If you decide to mod the light for me I might also want you to do direct led mounting or anything that you discover that would make this light a more powerful thrower and more efficient etc.

Have you modified any of the original Quark 123 lights? I think that the early one that I have has a XRE Q5.
What would it cost for you to put a throwier and warmer led in the quark for me? What led would you recommend for this light?

I also have a early eagletac M2XC4 that has Triple CREE R2 XR-E Cool White LED that I would like to have the best leds for throw installed aslo. What leds would be appropriate for use in this light at this power level? Here is a link to selfbuilt review of this particular light so you could get the info needed to decide on what led would be best suited to replace the original at this drive level. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XC4-Review-RUNTIMES-PHOTOS-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

You can PM me about how much it would cost for these mods or post here if you wish.

I also have a few other lights that I would like to get modded also. I might just send them all to you at one time if you wish.

Last edited: