Need recomendation for toddlers

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one looks OK. I don't know if it is "real" enough. I might get one to give as a birthday present.

mfr: COLEMAN "It's a flashlight, nightlight or a Starlight show. Projects 8 magical light patterns onto tent wall or bedroom wall. Low-powered amber LED nightlight provides light for several hours. Adjustable lanyard included."

Coleman Kids LED flashlight/nightlight

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have twin girls aswell.

2 year olds :)

We have been considering getting a third child but this thread got me thinkin...

:lolsign:

PS: I got mine Pal Lights,i leave them in secure mode.So they turn off after a couple of seconds.Keeps them busy pressing those buttons.
And the batteries last forever too.

Benny

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
:duh2: OK...as a newly bitten flashlight guy I get the obsession...but to see everyone seriously making recommendations for 'real' lights for 1.5 and 2.5 yo kids is freaky...

Blacklight

Enlightened
Art Vandelay said:
This one looks OK. I don't know if it is "real" enough. I might get one to give as a birthday present.

mfr: COLEMAN "It's a flashlight, nightlight or a Starlight show. Projects 8 magical light patterns onto tent wall or bedroom wall. Low-powered amber LED nightlight provides light for several hours. Adjustable lanyard included."

Coleman Kids LED flashlight/nightlight

This light is a lot of fun, there is a second version of it coming out in July, that converts from flashlight to mini lantern. The lantern portion is not super bright (it is the same krypton bulb used for the flashlight). It has a 6 position light show that goes aoround the perimeter of the end ot the light. it uses soem bright, colored 3mm LEDs that actually shoot rings of color on the walls (Both versions do this). The current version is found at many major mass retailers.

kavvika

Enlightened
princeton tec attitude? If the threads are lubed well, it *could* be very hard for your toddlers to remove the head and get into the batteries. Long lasting on 4AAA's, not too bright-comparable to the NiteIze Minimag upgrade. Look for the older version without the clip, which could break off and be swallowed

ryball

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy has a 1AA tailcap button light I've given to my daughter. She loves it and can't leave it on to run the batteries down.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get them some inexpensive crank LED lights. Those were a hit with our kids.

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
i'd go with INOVA X1 or X5... long runtimes and pretty much near bombproof.....
however if it gets thrown against a window or a wall.. something's gotta give... and i bet the X1 or X5 isn't going to..... just my $0.02

TMorita

Enlightened
I went to visit a friend up in Washington last year, and her son likes to play with their maglight for hours. I didn't have the heart to tell her that her son had developed a serious case of flashaholicism already.

Anyway, I sent him an Rav'n2 Eternalight, and it keeps him entertained for hours.

http://www.techass.com/el/raven2/raven2.php

Toshi

TMorita

Enlightened
CHC said:
WOW another member with Twins! I have twin girls myself (the twins are in the middle, oldest 22, youngest 10 = four girls!) and they'll be graduating from HS this June.

How about the Energizer Hard Case Professional Series?

http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=EF01854

http://www.opticsplanet.net/energizer-hard-case-pro-2-aa-flashlights-nichia.html

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

I really love the Hard Case flashlights. You can drop them from 6 ft and they bounce.

Toshi

wmirag

Enlightened
My kids at toddler age had PAL lights. There aren't any small parts and it's very hard to take apart anyway. The FIND ME keeps the monsters away for a year on one 9V. And the light won't destroy your house like a metal body flashlight might.

W.

dim

Enlightened
My experience with my young niece is that without the size, strength and dexterity of adult hands, she, albeit with two hands, has a MUCH easier time with a twistie than she does with a clickie. While, admittedly, a Maggie is larger that most of the suggestions in this thread, my niece required not only two hands to activate a Multi D Maggie, but it, for her, took considerable effort. The Gerber Trio that I gave her is easy for her to use and at about 12 floody lumens is bright enough to be effective and FUN but not too bright to blind herself or anyone else that she cares to "spot".

dim

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
My family always complains that I don't have a light "dim enough" for their kids to play with. :)

I think the 2AA Garrity Tufflite (The one that says "Feel me!" on the package) with a PR LED is a good idea. By the way, the NiteIze PR bulb is dimmer than the SMJLED and readily available at Walmart. Maybe a little something on the inside of the lense to diffuse the light as well.

Also, someone posted a thread recently about small LED lights in Kellogg cereals. I have two of them, and they are about as dim as it gets. You have to turn off all the lights and let your eyes adjust, and you can still barely see the beam. They probably require more dexterity than a 1.5/2.5 YO can muster though.