Need Suggestions: Headlamp of a Different Kind

The Burgh

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a compact headlamp to use when doing close-up, detailed work on small parts and pieces.

I'm usually working in tiny, confined spaces on handgun and rifle parts. In most cases, two hands are engaged trying to "octopus" the parts, and the work is no more than 16 inches from my eyes.

Hi CRI? Pure beam? Infinite variable intensity? Low lumen needs? Single battery?

Anyone have a recommendation?

meti

Newly Enlightened
Low lumen for sure, flood beam, neutral or warm white, hi CRI optional IMHO. I suggest a zebra h602w.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a battery preference? Does this need to be a light that you will use also when not working on small parts?

The h602w has a wide range of settings and can go from very low to very high. It is a great choice. There might be some benefit however to something with infinite variability like the surefire headlamp to get the output dialed in just right for your eyesight and task.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Armytek Wizard Pro Warm for working on things with my hands. I don't get much glare because of the nice, even floody output.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
right, flood headlamp with warm or CRI would be most beneficial. you don't need sheer output. depending on your surround light.

so i would say the next issue to sort out is the battery. you either can match to batteries you already have or get a battery that matches the runtime that you need. for example, using a 18650 headlamp that will give you 8hrs of 300 lumens might be overkill if you are using it for 2hrs at a time. You are dealing with the extra weight of the 18650 to no benefit for you. an AA/14500 or R123 light might be good enough especially at that short distance. in turn, you will get something more comfortable on your head.

meti

Newly Enlightened
I really like the Armytek Wizard Pro Warm for working on things with my hands. I don't get much glare because of the nice, even floody output.

I, too, work with the wizard pro, but I think that the H602w would be a better choice, as is pure flood, not even the barely noticeable spot of the wizard... in a not too far future I'll buy the zebra and will update you :D

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, work with the wizard pro, but I think that the H602w would be a better choice, as is pure flood, not even the barely noticeable spot of the wizard... in a not too far future I'll buy the zebra and will update you :D

Fair enough. :) I hope you like it!