New 200 lumen Eveready Dolphin

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eveready Dolphin has a history that spans decades. In Australia it has been the go to light for boaties, fishermen and campers for longer than I've been alive. My first experience with a Dolphin was a friend that got one for Christmas and came over to our house to test it in our swimming pool. There was a TV ad at the time with a real dolphin tossing the Dolphin flashlight around and it bouncing and bumping off stuff. Was a very clever ad.

This latest addition to the long history certainly seems to be the best Dolphin yet. At a claimed 200 lumens it is the brightest, and from the small collection I have of Dolphins it is also the smallest.

With four leds sunk in behind four reflectors, it doesn't look anything like a Dolphin at the business end. The rest of the body and head design do look familiar though. It's a bit of a mash up of Dolphins past with a modern take on the ergonomics. It is very comfortable to hold. I bought mine from Bunnings for $20.

With a fresh 6v alkaline lantern battery the current draw at the terminals was a mere 190ma after a minute or so with an initial draw of 230ma at turn on. I've chosen what I consider to be the best light I have to compare it with - A 2D Maglite with a Malkoff 260 lumen XP-G drop in running on 6 ni-mh cells in series.

3557F318-C7E4-4547-9C34-5BCBF3001F33.jpg

CB6E91A4-5D55-4F65-B6F6-DFAC8F68A53C.jpg

47463914-B99E-4DBE-840B-9C3B90DC4D51.jpg

Malkoff Maglite on left, Eveready Dolphin on right.

163BA0CB-AF36-4CFA-95E0-FD105F347411.jpg

Malkoff Maglite at 100m.

C6D09F01-9C9F-47A7-B558-2C595D79B976.jpg

Dolphin at 100m.

E7646E49-FD84-4DAD-BD81-F5F9D5C05CEB.jpg

For $20 the Dolphin is certainly a decent light. With its reputation for ruggedness and ease of use, it's a dead set bargain and would make a great Christmas gift for anyone, especially kids, as anything this big and bright will make their day (or night).

For those interested, here's the Dolphin ad I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un3Mb1QR1Xc

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
Good to see a significant bump in lumens for this popular consumer light. The beam shot looks like quite a warm tint. Is that the case?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see a significant bump in lumens for this popular consumer light. The beam shot looks like quite a warm tint. Is that the case?

Yes, but with a bluish tint in the middle of the hotspot, the halo around it and all of the spill area is nice and warm. If you're a tint snob you won't like it. I'm not, so it doesn't bother me. I prefer a good beam profile over tint. It has a good beam profile for what it's intended purpose is.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Visited my local Ace H/W and found this hiding behind the incandescent Dolphin... immediately bought one...

cn5Un1.jpg

DyRWxP.jpg

5dn4Lb.jpg

hX88Ds.jpg

VE3XE9.jpg

LN2Raw.jpg

some beamshots... 20 meters away from the tree top...
SNb1ik.jpg

AaVRKI.jpg

mLP6zk.jpg

7Cwv36.jpg

50 meters away...
o2lojY.jpg

YXVvEG.jpg

AWycNX.jpg

yvFnvZ.jpg

cannot see the Dolphin hotspot? here...
qiNpI2.jpg

This Dolphin can really throw! (and I don't just mean the beam... :devil:)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice one Jash. Comparing it to the 2D Malkoff'd Mag was genious as that light is a stout performer with that module.

Makes me want to take a closer look at the US version next time I'm in a box store.

Definitely not your grandpas Eveready that's for certain.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is available in the U.S.? I am definitely in for a couple if it is. With all the wiz-bang lights we have now I think the Dolphin represents a solid value and can use the best commonly available alkaline in the 6V lantern battery. Generally the 6V "lanterns" offered in U.S. b&m stores are cheap and not very desirable but occasionally the AUS Dolphin design makes an appearance then seems to disappear shortly after.

Last edited:

youdoofus

Newly Enlightened
it is pretty amazing how bright some of the cheaper lights are nowadays!!! Esp from brands that you wouldnt expect it from. Ozark trail is one that shocks me for value per money

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought another Dolphin and an Energizer Max 6v battery for it. With the Energizer Max it is a lot brighter and the current at the terminals is about 320ma at turn on, settling down to 280ma after a minute or so. I put the Energizer in the other Dolphin and got the same reading, so it's definitely the battery making the difference. The Energizer Max battery is a lot heaver than the Varta High Power alkaline battery, so maybe the Energizer has less internal resistance or something. Dunno, I'm not a battery expert.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
How is the driver? Any chance to mod this light and keep the same driver? Do you think the driver is 2S2P? Or a buck driver? (I know they are 3v LEDs) I wouldn't mind to buy one and put in quad XHP50s

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led housing is heat welded shut. You'd have to drill the welds to open it up, then figure out a way to secure it all back in place. I'd imagine some degree of epoxy bond would be required. I can't be bothered.

Latest posts