New 4 Led Lantern Review?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
LittleBrownStain said:
...I was at Canadian Tire again today - was temporarily swayed again (a bit) by the attractiveness of the 'Noma' (Garrity) 3-C-Cell model. It really is quite an attractive unit for a lantern.

But ...... (nah), I couldn't do it. Didn't want to take a chance - I was still remembering the disappointing light output level of the 3-AA unit.
Uh-oh!! I had no idea we were discussing a 3-AA version of this lantern! :ohgeez: I've been talking about the Garrity 3-C version all the time...oops?!

Has this discussion been about the one that looks like the Brunton Glorb (knockoff of the Osram Golden Dragon)? If so, no wonder...I've not seen any of these 4 LED AA versions in operation. I imagine they perform as you have described.

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
Sigman said:
Uh-oh!! I had no idea we were discussing a 3-AA version of this lantern! :ohgeez: I've been talking about the Garrity 3-C version all the time...oops?!

Has this discussion been about the one that looks like the Brunton Glorb (knockoff of the Osram Golden Dragon)? If so, no wonder...I've not seen any of these 4 LED AA versions in operation. I imagine they perform as you have described.

Hi! :)

No, I hadn't seen those Osram Golden Dragon or Brunton Glorb thingees. (Good Lord! Where do they come up with the names for these things?) :laughing:

No, the Noma (or Garrity) lanterns come in two flavours - 3-AA cell, or 3-C cell. Other than that, they have identical circuitry, identical features, look exactly the same from a distance, etc. The only difference I can imagine between the two, is that the C-cell unit would last longer, and the AA-cell unit would have even less light-output than the C-cell thingee.

It seems funny though - since these things (presumably) run for "800 hours" (ahem), it would be very helpful to consumers to have a retailer put one of these things up-&-running on display to help consumers decide whether to buy or not. Everything today is packaged in rigid plastic blister packs - it almost takes a pair of sheet-metal tin snips to free the unit from its package.

(I'm so ashamed of myself Sigman.....). I bought mini-mag # 5 yesterday. I couldn't help it. (I just got my income-tax refund back). Wasn't gonna do it, but..... <geeze>.... do you suppose there's any hope for me? Damn CPF Forums! <ggg> So now...... I've got me 5 mini's hanging off the ceiling.

But *that's IT* ! I almost have X-ray vision in my bedroom now. (So just *bring on* yer power failures! :)

"Land Of The Midnight Sun", eh? (Cool!) - In Alaska, I guess both the Dutch and (my) Canadian governments are fighting over a disputed piece of land (Hans Island). Alaska is going to have MAJOR impact in the future. I think Hans Island is about 1 square kilometer of barren rock (although it's disc shaped).

Whatever possessed you to live out there? (Alaska). Nothing but ice floes & sub-freezing temperatures, right?

(I can just see poor Sigman stumbling around on some isolated ice cube talkin' with the Polar Bears @ 3 O'clock in the morning). <gg>

Now mind you, I expect the Northern Lights are very pretty though. (And they don't even need batteries!).

Chat later!

Last edited: