Re: *** New Alpha Product Coming! ***

Are these CC or PWM?
Great question.
They are CC with a battery low feature.
I stand corrected, it is PWM without tracings

IMG_5707.jpg~original

This is a picture from the Lowest setting

IMG_5708.jpg~original

This is a picture from the standard Low, the second lowest setting.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's that mean?.
is that an improvement on the old driver?.
thanks.
There are many that PWM bothers their eyes, as they can visually detect it. By swinging a PWM light very fast, you can see blinking associated with poorly executed PWM lights. The best way to describe it would be that of a photographer that takes a picture of a fluorescent bulb with high speed film while the bulb is off during it's 60 cycles per minute. It means that those who get one, will be bothered very little if any.
GL

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot to add that the new Icarus drivers PWM allows the LED to achieve a higher CRI at the very low levels.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

His new driver drive the LED harder. How many lumens can the MCE output at 3.4?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

His new driver drive the LED harder. How many lumens can the MCE output at 3.4?
The Output will be greater than 600 lumens. Keep in mind that the Icarus features thermal regulation that can be set to different levels. It will drop output as the temperature rises extending the life of your LED and runtime of the battery. While this feature can be completely turned off, it is not recommended.
GL

recDNA

Flashaholic

Why MC-E? Ikind of think of it as outdated.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MC-E paired with the Boom reflector are an amazing combination.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

A quote from Jason's LED page:

Generally speaking, the MCE produces a beautiful beam and runs for 1.5 hours on maximum power.

The XML has more output, but it runs MUCH hotter and only gets 1 hour run time on maximum power.

The XPG is ideal for those seeking maximum color rendering and a warm beam that is the same as incandescent, but it's much less powerful than it's siblings.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

The MC-E is a floody LED. It goes well with the Boom reflector. Although outdated it still has its quality. I haven't seen it my own eyes yet, hopefully that can be resolve soon.:D

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel that hcri is taking over this floody business nowadays, so I'm deciding floody light or hcri.
what would you go for?.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel that hcri is taking over this floody business nowadays, so I'm deciding floody light or hcri.
what would you go for?.

Your question sounds like you're confused.
You are talking about different light/beam attributes that don't correspond to a one or the other choice situation.
For example you could have a floody high CRI beam.
You should be asking yourself the question of what type of beam do I want? A floody beam or thrower, perhaps something in between? The second part would be regarding tint and CRI then combining the attributes you are looking for in a light.
To make an example of floody high CRI beams, a P60 drop in with triple Nichia high CRI LED's or a mule etc etc.
It's not a question of what is taking over another but simply what someone wants in a light which may vary from intended use and personal taste etc.
Perhaps you're after a high CRI thrower? Who knows? Whatever you're after I'm sure it's probably out there in some form or another.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

So at 3 amps XM-L or XP-L run hotter than MC-E? I'm surprised.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

Does the Alpha running the Icarus driver still make the high pitched sound on lower settings? Medium is actually kinda loud on the old driver. I always hear the light running.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey all, it's Friday night and the kids are asleep so I thought I'd say hi :)

@ recDNA: The XML has a lower average forward voltage than the MCE. This has two heating effects. 1) Any voltage overhead is wasted as heat by the driver, which is inherent in any linear driver. 2) The lower forward voltage also means the XML can continue to pull 100% current as the battery becomes depleted...which also creates more heat over a given period of time compared to the MCE.

@ InvisibleFrodo: The Icarus should not exhibit any driver whine. The whine is caused by the oscillation of the PWM crystal hitting a resonant frequency and causing a sympathetic vibration in the board. This is unique to each driver even if they are of the same type. Meaning...one driver may one and another may not, or one might whine worse than another. However, the Icarus frequency is well beyond the range of resonance and will not generate any sympathetic vibration.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** New Alpha Product Coming! *** " Icarus" User Programmable Day

Let's talk Icarus.
Each Day this week I will Post the Icarus topic of the day.
Today is: User Programmable.

Jason's Quote: Everyone has a different idea about the best mode configuration for a flashlight. Now You get to decide for yourself. Enjoy.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *** New Alpha Product Coming! *** " Icarus" 2 Mode Groups Day

"Icarus" Topic for Today: 2 Mode Groups stored in memory.

Each Group can hold 1 to 7 different functions.

Choose from any of the 22 Brightness Settings, Strobe, Beacon, or SOS for each function.

Robone

Newly Enlightened

Love my RM and Custom. Interested in the new driver. Will the website be updated with new output numbers for the RM ? When will the video for the Icarus be up ? Will he be doing a Custom batch soon? What will be the differences between the RM and custom, besides being able to choose emitter?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love my RM and Custom. Interested in the new driver. Will the website be updated with new output numbers for the RM ?
The output has not been officially tested, but the number should be greater than 600LM.

When will the video for the Icarus be up ? Will he be doing a Custom batch soon?
I also will be posting a video soon. Right Now he is shipping RM's.
The next batch of Customs is delayed awaiting the next batch of "Icarus" stock.

What will be the differences between the RM and custom, besides being able to choose emitter?
Good Question. While we all are waiting for the store's website to be updated, I will point out some differences. Moving forward their will only be the Icarus driver in all Alpha's. This will mean an increase of OTF readings of the Alpha lights. Customs have the advantage of emitter choice, a solid Copper emitter base (RM's use Nickel plated aluminum), use Mil-Spec Fluorosilicone o-rings (RM's use std. Nitrile o-rings), Come with your choice of a colored switch boot cover (RM's are black only), A compact smaller USB wall charger (RM'S use std. larger wall plug), Personalized letter stamping, a report card, and the Lifetime upgrade program.

GL