New EDC companion for my pocket

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new fella to replace the SL StylusPro I carry in my pocket now. Nothing is wrong with it and I still love it. Just lookking for an upgrade. Especially if I can find one anywhere from a Preon to a Quark size in WIDTH. Pocket clip, knurling and crenulated bezel. But not having those features isn't a deal breaker... except the pocket clip. It HAS to have one. And I'd prefer one that is reasonable and won't leave an inch of the light out of my pocket like a standard Quark clip. Thanks in advance!!!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Less than $100.

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

__X__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
__X__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__X__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

__X__Pocket/belt clip

__X__Crenulated bezel

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac P20c2 or P20a2 would do nicely. If you want throw get the xpe, if you want a little more flood get the XML dropin.
(different dropins have different UI) I like the XML user interface the best out of em

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Those look perfect from everything I can see :)

With that said... are there any retailers that people like online more than others for price and service? I am still very new to this whole light thing and the only ones I've ever bought online came from 4sevens' store and the Bay.

LGT

Enlightened
There are a few ET dealers. Do some research on the web. Compare prices and availibility. You should also wait for more respones on other lights. Though I really like my P20C2. Other suggestions may better fit your needs.

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
Good thinking. Got a little excited over it. I really like the P20a2... and I think I may have found some good prices and actually right after I asked the question above I thought about checking their dealer list... I'm doing that now. So I will definitely keep them in mind. Thanks for the advice and I will see what other people have to say. But this one seems to actually fit exactly what I was looking for as a whole. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac is pretty consistently sturdy across there line, I've only heard problems with there big double 18650 lights like the M3c4 (stripping screws/battery compartment design)

GoingGear is my favorite dealer, he has great YouTube videos on different lights too.
Look up goinggear or goingprepared? And you should find him.

:thumbsup:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Preon 2? Would be quite an upgrade from the Stylus, with 3 levels and a form factor you are used to. No knurling or crenelated bezel though.

I have a P20C2, and it is an excellent light, but I don't carry it in my pocket. It is just outside of the comfortable range for me. YMMV.