*New* Fenix PD25,Cree XP-L LED,max 550 lumens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjv

Enlightened
Compared my PD22 (orig 190 lumen) with the PD25.

With the 22 set to 190 lumens and the 25 set to 150 lumens, the hotspot on the 25 is about 2x wider than the hotspot on the 22.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
May have to buy a second PD25 as my wife borrowed mine, and decided she really likes it. So now it keeps disappearing on me :D

The somewhat floody beam on 400 lumens is quite impressive for a light that can hide in the palm of your hand!

And yes, (to answer a prior question) I would buy it again. Seems like after the LED had a chance to "burn in", I am seeing less of the green, even on a white wall. I have noticed this "burn in" effect in the past with a couple 4Sevens lights.

And to answer another question: I use a primary CR123 battery in it.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I own several pieces of Fenix ​​PD22 Ultimate Edition and I also bought PD25 recently, so I can compare it with the PD22 UE. In my very personal opinion Fenix ​​PD22 UE was better version than the supposedly "improved" PD25. And also I do not understand that policy of continuous making everything bigger. Maybe I am detailist, but my comparison of PD25 to PD22 UE:

-> PD25 is a large 9.3 cm (9.0 cm PD22 UE)
-> PD25 is a little more heavy: 47 gr (PD22 UE 45 gr)
-> PD25 has on TURBO much shorter battery life with Li-on battery (35 min) than the PD 22 of the UE (45 min.) - obviously PD25 has higher output on TURBO (550lumen) compared to PD22 UE (510 lumen). But I have to say... comparing these two flashlights on TURBO the difference in output seems to be quite similar to the naked eye.
-> PD25 seems to me to have a more cool white beam, than PD22 UE. ((I actually have one PD22 UE which gives a very nice neutral white beam compared those others I have. I dont know if it was just a manufacture flaw or intention, but I love it. It is my main EDC now. I am very lucky to have it :) ))

->PD25 has also noticeably wider profile of the body, although Fenix declare the same width on both of these flashlights (2.15 cm) at the widest point, however, PD25 flashlight is noticeable wider.

-> PD25 also lost a SOS mode, which I quite like on Fenix flashlights (no matter that most of people will never ever have to use it, but I think that is just someone's personal assumption ... SOS like this can flash all night on its own in the case of emergency, so I don't have to click it with my hand all night long as an idiot. Well, just people from cities, not going outdoors can not really appreciate this mode. But why taking a mode from flashlight... on the contrary... I would add some... like moonlight mode. Fenix is going backwards when taking off their modes.

Given that I can compare the two lights side by side ... the difference in performance is absolutely negligible and still eat full of 10 minutes of operation at Turbo mode. OMG ..

To be honest I also really dont like the new metal-like silver side switch button (silver) which now Fenix ​​introduces on all of its new lights. On the one hand, it is easier to see, but if you want to keep a low profile with the flashlight e.g. placed on your weapon... silver "shiny" button is a complete disaster. But I understand... it seems to be more nice-looking probably to most of the customers.

Please do not get me wrong somehow in this. PD25 is absolutely excellent flashlight from Fenix, like all Feni PD ​​series. I just wanted to point out that innovation and "upgrading" of older models and the pursuit for lumens, sometimes may not be very customer/user-friendly. So long live to our PD22UE and hopefully for me PD25 will soon be released in a "better" version, may be :) PD22 UE is now only on sale and stopped from production so basically you have no other choice but to go for PD25 anyway :))

Greeting from Czech Republic.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jiri, Thanks for your comments. I have a PD22UE and I love it. I have wondered how different the PD25 was to the PD22UE and am glad you posted this.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I own several pieces of Fenix ​​PD22 Ultimate Edition and I also bought PD25 recently, so I can compare it with the PD22 UE. In my very personal opinion Fenix ​​PD22 UE was better version than the supposedly "improved" PD25. And also I do not understand that policy of continuous making everything bigger. Maybe I am detailist, but my comparison of PD25 to PD22 UE:

-> PD25 is a large 9.3 cm (9.0 cm PD22 UE)
-> PD25 is a little more heavy: 47 gr (PD22 UE 45 gr)
-> PD25 has on TURBO much shorter battery life with Li-on battery (35 min) than the PD 22 of the UE (45 min.) - obviously PD25 has higher output on TURBO (550lumen) compared to PD22 UE (510 lumen). But I have to say... comparing these two flashlights on TURBO the difference in output seems to be quite similar to the naked eye.
-> PD25 seems to me to have a more cool white beam, than PD22 UE. ((I actually have one PD22 UE which gives a very nice neutral white beam compared those others I have. I dont know if it was just a manufacture flaw or intention, but I love it. It is my main EDC now. I am very lucky to have it :) ))

->PD25 has also noticeably wider profile of the body, although Fenix declare the same width on both of these flashlights (2.15 cm) at the widest point, however, PD25 flashlight is noticeable wider.

-> PD25 also lost a SOS mode, which I quite like on Fenix flashlights (no matter that most of people will never ever have to use it, but I think that is just someone's personal assumption ... SOS like this can flash all night on its own in the case of emergency, so I don't have to click it with my hand all night long as an idiot. Well, just people from cities, not going outdoors can not really appreciate this mode. But why taking a mode from flashlight... on the contrary... I would add some... like moonlight mode. Fenix is going backwards when taking off their modes.

Given that I can compare the two lights side by side ... the difference in performance is absolutely negligible and still eat full of 10 minutes of operation at Turbo mode. OMG ..

To be honest I also really dont like the new metal-like silver side switch button (silver) which now Fenix ​​introduces on all of its new lights. On the one hand, it is easier to see, but if you want to keep a low profile with the flashlight e.g. placed on your weapon... silver "shiny" button is a complete disaster. But I understand... it seems to be more nice-looking probably to most of the customers.

Please do not get me wrong somehow in this. PD25 is absolutely excellent flashlight from Fenix, like all Feni PD ​​series. I just wanted to point out that innovation and "upgrading" of older models and the pursuit for lumens, sometimes may not be very customer/user-friendly. So long live to our PD22UE and hopefully for me PD25 will soon be released in a "better" version, may be :) PD22 UE is now only on sale and stopped from production so basically you have no other choice but to go for PD25 anyway :))

Greeting from Czech Republic.

Thanks Jiri,now I know a lot about these two lights

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Possible shilling thread closed.
FYI: While discussion threads are of course permitted, creating a thread by merely posting a website hyperlink & a 'file pic' is not an acceptable discussion opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.