**NEW** Fenix PD32 Ultimate Edition (XM-L T6 NW, 740 lumen)

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for that, and yes, these are the lights I need on a flashlight!, lol...

Um, I wouldn't say that the cooler tints are not as good for our eyes, just that they have a different effect. Our eyes are very adaptive by nature and can adjust themselves to a variety of conditions. The only reason I used a dim redlight for nightvision as comparison was just to demonstrate the difference. The only time that is really useful is when you need to use light to see something but don't want to compromise your ability to see in the dark.

I have the old LD25, my favorite hiking light, and I will say that the tint is closer to a 5000k then a 4000k. I have a nailbender drop-in that sits at 4000k and the difference between the two is pretty noticeable. I like the Fenix neutrals to be honest with you. They are a little pinkish for my taste, but they feel very natural out in the woods. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are different tints at the same level. You could have two lights sitting at 4000k and not be the exact same color, one could be more orange than the other. With LEDs's it is a little more consistent, but that possibility is always there.

By the way, those are some sweet headlights.

BurnBrighter

Newly Enlightened
I ran mine for about 3.75 minutes starting from burst (it ran 3:10 before stepping down) - it got quite warm but not uncomfortably hot to touch, even on the fins. Otherwise I haven't had the opportunity to run it for an extended period yet. I've felt my 180-lumen Streamlight get hotter than that after being run for 5 or 6 minutes.

Thanx for getting back to me! Yeah, I've used mine plenty already. Now my daughter stole it and my son wants one....Glad I hooked up with mine from www.Shaologear.com

Shaolo-
I ordered the (2)32ue and TK75 with (2) headlamps in Beaverton OR. I would like to order more. I should be in your subscribers, please look for my email. I need a couple more lights, :broke:10% discount still good?

If anyone is looking seriously hit them up - with FREE Shipping too! I'm now addicted to Fenix lights, or at least these models.

Everyone wanted me to buy them one at the christmas party. http://shaologear.com/products/fenix-pd32-ue

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, 5000K is a very good color temp. I can tolerate all the way down to 4500K if I have to, but anything more "warm" than that is too intolerably colored.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
true, and 5000+ is not all that. 4200-5000 for me.
I noticed this PD32UE is not so as bright really as the normal PD32. is that because cool white gives out more intensely ? .
this one seems more relaxed.
thanks.

IMO, 5000K is a very good color temp. I can tolerate all the way down to 4500K if I have to, but anything more "warm" than that is too intolerably colored.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Mr Young

Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have investigated your enquiry and I can confirm that the Kelvin rating of the adaptive headlights for the 2012 / 2013 BMW is 4100.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Dear Mr Young

Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have investigated your enquiry and I can confirm that the Kelvin rating of the adaptive headlights for the 2012 / 2013 BMW is 4100.

Hahahahahaha, why am I not surprised by this. I was just thinking about that last night I was driving around. I was coming up my drive way, which is a quarter mile long road in the woods, when I thought "Hey, these headlights look pretty white, infact, I've never thought of them as yellow". So I decided to pull out my light that I had with me at the time, which was a Solarforce P1 host with a Nailbender XP-2 4000k. I was very surprised to see how pale and uninviting the flashlight looked compared to the headlights. I am so used to thinking that the drop-in had an almost too warm tint and now I don't know what to think after seeing that comparison. I guess we are just so used to 3000k lights in cars that anything higher seems really, really white by comparison. Whereas with flashlights, 6000k is the norm and anything less is really red/orange by comparison.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kinda new to the whole flashlight thing (the nicest flashlight I've owned prior to the 2 Fenix PD32's was a Streamlight Microstream) so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I didn't know that the two CR123's would output a cumulative 6V, I guess I assumed it was 3V. I was expecting better performance from the Eagletac 3100 18650. Knowing that it is a single 3.7V battery, would I actually get better performance from the two CR123's? Thanks!!

Not a stupid question. I see SimulatedZero gave you a good answer. Also I see you are new here: :welcome:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received PD32 UE.
My impression: it feels good in the hand. Dropped in an EagleTac 3100 18650. The momentary on function is good, also I can put it on and off without a tendency for the light to glide away in the hand. Cycling through the modes: the side switch feels distinct and good.
To get some descripton of the beam character: there is some similarity to my Fenix LD01 with the LARGE hotspot but instead of a green/bluish tint it has a nice cream tint. The tint is very similar to the tint of E50, and also very close to the tint of Xeno E03 Neutral. Earlier I considered the neutral tint of E03 to be the nicest I had experienced. And that's still my opinion, so the tint PD32UE is very nice, yes I would describe it as cream tint.

I measured the lux value with ceiling bounce. At 400lm mode it's very exactly the same value as with TK15S2 at 400lm. At 740lm mode it's close to the value of E50 at 780lm mode so Fenix statements are obviously very correct.

Throwy lights are great at distance. But at short distance and indoors, very intense small hotspots is only a drawback, and therefore I find the beam profile of PD32UE to be excellent for many purposes. Actually I consider PD32UE to be a good companion to TK15S2. One for bright and very useful illumination indoors and the other for great performance outdoors at distance.

I hope the words of Fenix-store will be true: It is a fabulous product and sure do hope Fenix considers adding it to their regular product line. We have been told there is a very good chance they will produce more of this light so don't give up if you didn't get one. If we hear they are making more, we will put the light back on our website.

If so, I will order another of this great light!

Last edited:

ObserverJLin

Newly Enlightened
I guess none of you yet seen Nitecore's competition model for PD32 UE. Nitecore EC25 http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=73

Nitecore has better LED and brightness, (XM-L U2 @ 860 Lumens, better optics, (PDOT - Precision Digital Optics Technology), better throw, (222m compared to 155m of PD32 UE), has two versions, (white & neutral white), it is shorter than PD32 UE, it can tail stand to use as candle etc

Outdoor comparison shows PD32 UE is miles behind Nitecore EC25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFF1kf7OoA

So what do you guys think? Return PD32 UE and get Nitecore EC25? It's what I'm thinking but there is one thing that is missing from the features list. Is it regulated for constant brightness???

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I guess none of you yet seen Nitecore's competition model for PD32 UE. Nitecore EC25 http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=73

Nitecore has better LED and brightness, (XM-L U2 @ 860 Lumens, better optics, (PDOT - Precision Digital Optics Technology), better throw, (222m compared to 155m of PD32 UE), has two versions, (white & neutral white), it is shorter than PD32 UE, it can tail stand to use as candle etc

Outdoor comparison shows PD32 UE is miles behind Nitecore EC25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFF1kf7OoA

So what do you guys think? Return PD32 UE and get Nitecore EC25? It's what I'm thinking but there is one thing that is missing from the features list. Is it regulated for constant brightness???

Still, I prefer Fenix over Nitecore.

And I don't like that the EC25 doesn't have a clicky and the two-stage button.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually I was not aware of this model. I like the design of the Fenix better. And I see that the Nitecore has a lowest mode of 60lm. Surely EC25 is a great light anyway. But I highly doubt about stated 1h30m at 840lm. PD32UE has only around 20 minutes at 740lm according to the review of member candle lamp.

Last edited:

Cartman

Newly Enlightened
I like the throw but does it have parasitic drain? My experience with nitecores and drain were nor good at all.

snala

Newly Enlightened

Horses for courses. The PD32UE isn't about throw anyway. The hot spot is designed for a wall of light effect and it's very good. The Nitecore's 860L will be the CW LED too. Guessing the NW will be similiar to the Fenix in output as well. Based on how hot the Fenix gets on boost mode I wonder how long the Nitecore goes before it changes modes or temperature regulates too at 860 lumens...?
If you want throw and a torch with a bigger head than the body, extra cooling etc compare it against the Fenix TK22.

Last edited:

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
What is "Parasitic drain"? You mean is it regulated? I asked a German reseller and he says it is.

When he says parasitic drain he's referring to the amount of power the light draws from the batteries when the light isn't in use. Lights that have memory or very dim lights that blink to help you find it in the dark (which for example the new Nitecore EA4 has both) draw power even when the light is turned off. The manual for the EA4 says placing it into lockout mode draws 'next to nothing', so not exactly sure what that is. If you have a light that has no last-mode memory function or an identifier light then it should have no parasitic drain.

Regulated simply means the power draw from the batteries (when the light is on) remains constant so that the lumens you're getting now will be the same throughout the life of the batteries. Some regulated lights are only regulated for a certain period of time, ie. 300lm for 1hr then drops to 220lm for remainder. (or some other variation)