New G2-LED, Need a rechargeable solution

gts_00_18s

Newly Enlightened
First off, I apologize I couldn't understand any of this recharging stuff from the search button (Kept getting a fatal Error).

:pNow the good stuff, I just bought a New SureFire G2 Tactical LED Flashlight as my carry flashlight for Law Enforcement. Now I need to know/would like to know...
1). Is there a safe option for using RCR123's and not burning it up?
2). Is there an even better option over RCR123's?

And anything else anyone would like to share as advice with me on any of this, Thanks Guys.

All I know is that I would Love to be able to recharge some batteries that will work in the flashlight, while in the car....so I don't go broke buying spares.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 with an aftermarket LED head that I use 17670s in with no ill effects.

Yea, I just found out I can use 17670 from AW. Really cool guy, go buy from him in CPF market. Many people recommend him.

BUT I WONDER can I use 18650.. It have more capacity...anyone know?

-E

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe 18650 is too big. The 17650 will give a decent runtime. It's always safer to use a single li-ion rechargeable if you can- instead of 2 123a li-ions. Having said that, I also use 2 tenergy 3 volt rechargeable 123 batteries in my light...slightly brighter, but would not recommend it for police use. You have to be too careful with the battery charge.

jbviau

Enlightened
An 18650 would be great (higher capacity, etc.), but from what I've heard it's too fat to fit in stock SF lights. Some people bore out their SF lights to accept 18650 cells.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think a 17670 battery and the wider 18650 battery(Buy protected, that will prevent the battery from overcharging and overdischarging and keeping you safe) both have more capacity then 2 RCR123 batteries(aka 16340) becuase of their larger volume.

I think the P60 module should be able to handle 2 RCR123 batteries according to Chevrofreak's runtime charts. I would PM him to make sure.

There are also brighter drop-ins(from third parties) available if you need that.

:welcome:

Lightdude

Newly Enlightened
Well that does suck to hear about your light but I can see Surefire's point of view. The flashlight was designed to be used with cr123's. Sorry. It still sucks though!

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
they are willing to fix it one more time, but if the new head wont do rechargables , I will send it to someone to mod with 3 cree in it. I just bought a ASP triad to use while my U2 is in the shop , this thing makes my U2 look like a candle.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF just told me I burnt out my new U2 by using a 18650 in it and that it voided my warranty WTF!.

How did they know that you used a 18650? And isn't the U2 a 2cell light? 2xCR123 should be lower than 1x18650?

KEN TYE

Newly Enlightened
I told them what I was using was a single 3.7 volt lithium ion cell (18650) which is lower than 2 CR123= 6 volts . the light has a boost function so it will run off 3.7 volts . I could understand if I put 2 RCR123 in it which would be 8.4 volts and burnt it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told them what I was using was a single 3.7 volt lithium ion cell (18650) which is lower than 2 CR123= 6 volts . the light has a boost function so it will run off 3.7 volts . I could understand if I put 2 RCR123 in it which would be 8.4 volts and burnt it.

You should never tell any company that you run anything else than what's recommended, in this case Surefire CR123.
And that was my point to, a 18650 has a lot lower voltage than 2xCR123, so it's silly of them to void your guarantee. But on the other hand I believe it's stated somewhere that you shouldnt use rechargables. In this case it's silly, but I guess they prefer that people buy their cells instead of running the light on rechargables.

Latest posts