New H53c AA Headlamp Neutral White High CRI!

Genzod

Banned
ugly Design! I really hoped for something different, now I know why they kept their pics hidden for long time!

It's been moving around and toward this shape: :laughing:

soyuz-3d-model-lwo-lw-lws.jpg

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same type of change that zebralight has done on most of their lights. Nothing surprising.

Exactly. It's very much in line with the change from the H600 Mk II to the H600 Mk III. Reduce the number of circumferential grooves, make one central groove that is far wider and shallower than the others.

That's all fine with me--I don't much care. I kinda liked the earliest generation of H52s with a straight tube, too. My guess is that the straight-tube era lacked some of the lateral crush-strength that the groovy-era has--each of the raised ridges gives the tube more stiffness against lateral crushing. But I don't really want my ZL's built for maximum ruggedness, anyhow. ("Watch us drive this 10-ton lorry over our new torch!"). The new design is a decent compromise between strength and simplicity.

My curiosity is all about what's inside, and what comes out through the lens!

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have an early H52Fw with the straight tube and it is wonderful... the new design is disappointing, but better than the grooved H52... and at least they left the deep-carry clip alone!

Unfortunately the H53Fc has similar output (lower when using 14500 burst mode)... so I am only gaining higher CRI, which would be awesome since I love high CRI and neutral/warm tint... I probably won't be purchasing a H53F unless they release a model with significant gains in output, with good tint and decent CRI.

Genzod

Banned
I have an early H52Fw with the straight tube and it is wonderful... the new design is disappointing, but better than the grooved H52... and at least they left the deep-carry clip alone!

Unfortunately the H53Fc has similar output (lower when using 14500 burst mode)... so I am only gaining higher CRI, which would be awesome since I love high CRI and neutral/warm tint... I probably won't be purchasing a H53F unless they release a model with significant gains in output, with good tint and decent CRI.

Not only higher CRI but we're anticipating significant run time gains, as noted above. Another poster mentioned max output for a cool white and neutral version will be substantially higher.

The curved, de-ribbed center probably looks a little sweeter with the lamp nestled into the headband holder. I don't know why ZL omitted that extra image.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
Not only higher CRI but we're anticipating significant run time gains, as noted above. Another poster mentioned max output for a cool white and neutral version will be substantially higher.

The curved, de-ribbed center probably looks a little sweeter with the lamp nestled into the headband holder. I don't know why ZL omitted that extra image.

you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously ommitted extra image is up.

anyway, 10-20% gains in run time and/or lumens in exchange for a truly significant lumen boost is not an exchange most here would make in view of past posts in this thread. why don't they just stick with the original driver, the run time and lumen gains come from the newer leds anyway.

Genzod

Banned
you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously omitted extra image is up.

And there it is. :rock:
Oh Great Wizard of OZL! Post the release announcement for the ZL-H33w...!!! :poof::fail:

(...Aw shucks, already used up my last wish.)
thumbnail.asp

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
...anyway, 10-20% gains in run time and/or lumens in exchange for a truly significant lumen boost is not an exchange most here would make in view of past posts in this thread. why don't they just stick with the original driver, the run time and lumen gains come from the newer leds anyway.
The new driver has the fully programmable UI, huge improvement over the old driver and UI.

Genzod

Banned
The new driver has the fully programmable UI, huge improvement over the old driver and UI.

Funny I should have neglected that aspect of it. It's exactly what I need.

Had ZL released the entire H53 line simultaneously, I don't think many of us (myself included) would be complaining about the lower max output of the CRI version. We'd probably attribute it (aside from the loss of lithium ion support) to the cost of higher CRI, and turn to the H53w and H53 for substantially higher max output. I'd still pay an extra $5 if I could have my 1-3 minute 500 lumen boost back, because burning up the forest with light ROCKS, haha. :rock:

For those who want higher power in a compact headlamp, like me, the CR123 version of this lamp (crossing my fingers it is coming) will probably excel in that regard. The H32w could reach 446 lumens without the higher voltage lithium ion battery, if I understand correctly, the data provided was said to be derived from the lower voltage Panasonic primary battery.

But when it comes to headlamps, it's just our "Veruca Salt" nature (myself included) to "want it NOW!" Not having recourse, we attribute our dissatisfaction to poor ZL design selections instead of noticing what it more than likely really is, our version of this headlamp just hasn't been released yet.

I've decided to curb my own dissatisfaction until I see the full H53 line. Then it's "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick asterisk, and I'm all out of bubble gum!" time.

For you newbies on planet Earth who think the world started when you were born, I give you Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, 1971:

wEmyb.gif

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny I should have neglected that aspect of it. It's exactly what I need.

Had ZL released the entire H53 line simultaneously, I don't think many of us (myself included) would be complaining about the lower max output of the CRI version. We'd probably attribute it (aside from the loss of lithium ion support) to the cost of higher CRI, and turn to the H53w and H53 for substantially higher max output. I'd still pay an extra $5 if I could have my 1-3 minute 500 lumen boost back, because burning up the forest with light ROCKS, haha. :rock:
Based on the new SC5w/c I would expect Around 350 Lm for the H53w.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be H53w an H503w?

I have the early H52w with the smooth body, and H502w with ribbed body. I prefer the ribbed body because it feels more secure in the hand when I hold it. Looking at the pictures above, I am not in love with this new design -- half smooth and half ribbed. I wrap Velcro around my Zl headlamps. The Velcro won't wrap well around this uneven, half smooth and half ribbed, body. But I suppose I will have to live with it.

I think the design comes from the sweatshop contractor they hire to make these new lights for them. It's the latest shop that won the manufacturing contract.

Last edited:

NPL

Enlightened
There will be H53w an H503w?

I have the early H52w with the smooth body, and H502w with ribbed body. I prefer the ribbed body because it feels more secure in the hand when I hold it. Looking at the pictures above, I am not in love with this new design -- half smooth and half ribbed. I wrap Velcro around my Zl headlamps. The Velcro won't wrap well around this uneven, half smooth and half ribbed, body. But I suppose I will have to live with it.

I think the design comes from the sweatshop contractor they hire to make these new lights for them. It's the latest shop that won the manufacturing contract.
That's a pretty bold claim that Zebralight is using a sweatshop to make their lights. Where did you get this information from?

mellowman

Newly Enlightened

what you consider "fully" programmable UI and what I do are not the same. besides I've spent the last 4 years building muscle memory of the different modes...why would I want to reorder them now and frustrate myself.

edit: the only useful thing in the new driver I see is lower beacon mode...which I never use but it is nice to have.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't think the new UI would be frustrating to current users. G5 sounds like the usual UI. G6 and G7 are the programmable modes that allow you to customize it. I think it's great since you can now use H2a and H2b instead of always be locked into H1, which just kills the battery and gets too hot for 99% of my uses.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the new UI would be frustrating to current users. G5 sounds like the usual UI. G6 and G7 are the programmable modes that allow you to customize it. I think it's great since you can now use H2a and H2b instead of always be locked into H1, which just kills the battery and gets too hot for 99% of my uses.

if by customize you mean reorder the existing modes then yes customize.

well given the new H1 is the old H2a you don't need to customize!

edit: of course I'm referring to boost mode, just being cheeky.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a pretty bold claim that Zebralight is using a sweatshop to make their lights. Where did you get this information from?

I came up with that using deductive reasoning.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
you seem to have a lot of weight with ZL in that you post something in this thread and then the product page gets updated. the previously ommitted extra image is up.

I don't know if Genzod has any special relationship with ZL (I doubt it), but I do think it is pretty clear that someone at ZL is reading this thread. For instance, I pointed out a typo on the GoogleDocs spreadsheet, and a bit later the typo was fixed.

It's okay--I appreciate the fact that people at ZL are listening to us, and sometimes making the changes that we request.

(And sometimes not making them, but that's life.)

NPL

Enlightened
I came up with that using deductive reasoning.
"Deductive reasoning is a logical process in which a conclusion is based on the accordance of multiple premises that are generally assumed to be true."

Claiming that ZL are made in a sweatshop because the design doesn't suit your functional and aesthetic requirements is far from deductive. I find it misleading and unfair as it has absolutely zero evidence supporting your claim. If it was meant to be a joke, my apologies for not catching on to the humour.

Genzod

Banned
I don't know if Genzod has any special relationship with ZL (I doubt it), but I do think it is pretty clear that someone at ZL is reading this thread. For instance, I pointed out a typo on the GoogleDocs spreadsheet, and a bit later the typo was fixed.

psssst...hey, HEY! (looks left...looks right...leans into ear with a hand cover gesture) green shapeshifting lizard eye kitten eating aliens from the Draconian star system live in underground bases and control world governments through covert infiltration. They arrived in 1947 and thwarted an effort by JFK to unmask the deception in 1963!

Don't believe me? WHY DO YOU THINK ZL'S FLASHLIGHTS ARE GREEEEEEEN? ......HUH! HUHHHH? :huh:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Deductive reasoning is a logical process in which a conclusion is based on the accordance of multiple premises that are generally assumed to be true."

Claiming that ZL are made in a sweatshop because the design doesn't suit your functional and aesthetic requirements is far from deductive. I find it misleading and unfair as it has absolutely zero evidence supporting your claim. If it was meant to be a joke, my apologies for not catching on to the humour.

Sounds like you work for them. Provide irrefutable proof that your lights are not made in sweatshops and I will believe you. Otherwise, your post means nothing to me.