~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] /// 6/27 UPDATED PICTURES\\\

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Re: ~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] NOW with BEAMSHOTS vs. MiniminiHID

I'm liking what i see and just wanted to ask a few questions.
The led is just epoxied to the top of a hotlips C? The Ecan is epoxied to the bottom of the hotlips and then you pot the gd into it?
I THINK I've got a hotlips C kicking around and I"ve got a Q4(hopefully) ordered. I think I've also got a fatman I can use for this too. So may need
an alternative to the E-can...I'll work it out when everything arrives.
Is the reflector still in there too? Just want to make sure I do it properly when I make mine.
Thanks for the heads up on Mirage_Man. Definately liking what I see. Asked him for a body too.
Last thing, where can I get a funky head like the one you have? I'd like something to protect my 52mm lens too.

The Hotlips-C heatsink allows to use a E-can for holding the converter board, so the board is potted. Turned on, the light gets a little warm but that's it. The fins do a great job at dissipating the heat (although there isn't that much to dissipate in the first place).

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Re: ~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] NOW with BEAMSHOTS vs. MiniminiHID

Thanks for all the kudos, fellas! Sorry it took so long to reply!

I finally finished putting all the tritium in the sweet MagClicky tailcap...now it truly looks AWESOME. 3 tritium are visible from some angles, with 2 being visible from all angles. Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking:

IMG_0009-5.jpg

IMG_0010-3.jpg

IMG_0017-4.jpg

IMG_0015-3.jpg

IMG_0018-4.jpg

IMG_0019-2.jpg

IMG_0020-1.jpg

And my personal favorites of the bunch:
IMG_0024-2.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

jlomein:
As MrMimizu said, Modamag sells them here

5.0Trunk:
The HID was made my cmacclel. Do a search for Mini HID or Mini-mini HID. The difference is that the Mini HID runs off 4 cr123 primaries, while the mini-mini HID runs off 3 3.7v rcr123 cells. Basically a 10W HID overdriven to ~14 watts...somewhere around 700 lumens IIRC. With a good SMO reflector, nothing of similar size comes close to it in throw.

MrMimizu: Correct. I used a Hotlips C heatsink. However, I did have to remove the pedestal that the LED sits on for the LED to be in the proper focal point of the 52x37mm lens. To pot the board, You first superglue the converter inside the E-can. Then, fill the e-can with your thermal epoxy and stick it to the bottom of the hotlips. I didn't leave the reflector in this light, but it can be left in for some sort of a "side spill."

Refer to this thread where I showcased the first Aspheric lens Mag build. You will find a beamshhot of the 50x35mm lens with both the reflector and without the reflector.

The bezel was sold by KIU, however, he no longer makes them and I'm not sure if he ever intends to do another run. There sure seems to still be a demand

Last edited:

MrMimizu

Enlightened

Cool. I'm in talks with MirageMan now to get my mod.
I'm going with pretty much your body and a modamag tail clickie.
Are you happy with the dimensions on the body? Is there any changes you might suggest for Mirageman to make or it's good as is?
Also, just want to verify, you removed the whole hotlips pedestal? so the top of the hotlips is perfectly flat? Have you any suggestions on how I would be able to do that? I have a dremel. :D I may be able to access other tools but not sure.

cryhavok

Enlightened

Yes, I'm very happy with the body...In fact, I'm having Mirage_Man make me another host for a 4xcree light.

The pedestal was completely removed, so the hotlips-c became a flat-top. I also did it with a dremel, and found the best way was to use a fiber reinforced cut-off wheel and slice the pedestal off at the base. You could just use a sanding wheel, but it may take longer and you will need quite a few of those sanding refills. Good luck.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I have one more question.
Do I need to grind down the pedestal for a 50mm x 35mm lens?

Surplus shed had no more of the 52x37mm lenses and shipped me a 50x35mm as a substitute. As they did so w/o even asking me, I don't have much choice in my build now. No idea where else to check for a new lens.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Everyone should send an email to KIU asking him to do another run of those crenulated heads. Especially for these aspherical setups....they are perfect at shaping the beam, and keeping the protruding lens from getting scratched.

I have been using one of my 2" FiveMega deep reflectors with a thin 2" tube to hold it in place. That gives a much nicer beam shape, and keeps the light glow from protruding glass away from your bottom field of vision.

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
The 50mm will actually fit inside the head of the maglight. When I was using that lens, I would put the regular window on the head first, and then put the 50 mm lens on top of the window, and then screw down the bezel. The only good think about the 50mm is that you can screw down the bezel ring completely without having to do any modifications.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
All my components are here now but I have a slight problem.
What is holding your hotlips in place since you have no reflector inside?
I did a quick assembly of my light and found that the battery pushes the hotlips out. It's pretty loose in there. I am guessing I can possibly permanently solder the hotlips in place but was wondering how you managed. I don't really want to permanently hold it in place in case I want to upgrade in the future. I've only got my GD at 1A not 1.5A. Wasn't sure if I wanted to push the led that hard.
Maybe in the future I'll want to...

MrMimizu: Correct. I used a Hotlips C heatsink. However, I did have to remove the pedestal that the LED sits on for the LED to be in the proper focal point of the 52x37mm lens. To pot the board, You first superglue the converter inside the E-can. Then, fill the e-can with your thermal epoxy and stick it to the bottom of the hotlips. I didn't leave the reflector in this light, but it can be left in for some sort of a "side spill."