NEW KNIFE

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
So I bought a Leatherman Squirt S4 yesterday and used it a couple times today. ;) I also ordered a Calypso Jr. with the ZDP 189 blade. So I will see how these work out before thinking about another one. If I do get another the mini RSK looks very interesting.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Definitely a good choice, drizzle. The axis lock is my favorite, so smooth and trouble free. And the Griptilians are nice weights and easy to hold. But like cratz and others, Spydies were my EDC for many years. The Delica and Endura are workhorses.

I have more recently switched to either a small sebenza or a strider PT for EDC. Let's see what spacetroll says about Santelmo's list...

daloosh

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, since its 64Rc and thin, don't pry. (sorry, it's always a warning I give to new knife owners)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drizzle, just noticed your post. Remember that Seattle (as well as Tacoma, and the city of SeaTac) also prohibits knives with a blade length of over 3.5 inches. It's why I got a BM 940 after I moved to Tacoma.

drizzle

Enlightened
Thanks Garage Boy and Unicorn for the warnings.

Even though the Doug Ritter web site lists it as 58-60 HRC I won't be using it for anything other than cutting unless I'm in a dire enough situation that I'm willing to risk ruining my knife.

Also according to the web site the blade length is 3.44 inches. He designed it that way for just such restrictions. I had remembered reading that but didn't know that Seattle was one of those cities.

I just picked up the knife today and will start a thread on it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choice. 58-60 is still plenty hard and S30V takes a NICE fine edge and keeps it (hey it was state of the art til ZDP showed up).

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm sorry I haven't responded to some of your posts. I stepped on some toes last friday night and got sent to my room for the weekend LOL.

As far as the criteria for a new EDC knife her they are.

Use everyday in construction.
longest blade in a folder or 8-10 inch fixed blade.
I like the G-10 handle
No Tanto
100-150 dollars
I'd rather not have serations

I bought a Smith&Wesson last weekend in a weak moment, I like the look of this knife. Don't laugh at me I'm still in the market for a real knife.

http://www.knivesplus.com/sw-knife-extreme-ops-sw-ck42bs.html

Spacetroll.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
Tony2001 said:
So a S&W isnt a real knife, have I been hallucinating :)

Well, after hearing all the talk about Benchmades, RSK, Sebenza etc... I know the S&W's are kinda bush league.

bmrzmr

Newly Enlightened
440C if heat treated properly ain't that bad. Average person prolly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ATS34, 154CM or 440C. Betcha at one time or another Loveless, Warenski, Schneider, Terzuola, et al used it. :sssh:
CPM3V might be a good choice for your knife if you want your knife to double duty as a screw driver or pry.

....if you lose or trash the S&W, no problem cause it wasn't a "real knife" anyway! :)

bmrzmr

Newly Enlightened
Is the S&W made in China?

For a little more than a C note, the Al Mar Sere or Shrike would be okay.
My choice would be the Nimravus M2.

spacetroll

Newly Enlightened
bmrzmr said:
....if you lose or trash the S&W, no problem cause it wasn't a "real knife" anyway! :)

Well I lost the knife on Saturday night, 37.00 I guess it could have been worse. I could have dropped the card on a RSK or something else and lost a 100-150 dollar knife. I learned a lesson!!

Latest posts