New Maha MH-C800S 8 bay charger! Thoughts, anyone have one?

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Back again after a while...just received your same charger (Own at least 5 chargers, among them a LaCrosse BC-900), but want very much an 8 batteries at once charging unit. Decided this one as always intend to charge at "Soft" 500Mh rate (For longer battery live!).

But...have an a little issue...the Instructions sheet don't say nothing about the "Discharging/Recharging" rates...which I want to use this excellent feature mainly for my "Vintage" 1,300Mh batteries.

Can please any of you write me back the "Rates" for this "Conditioning" possibility?:twothumbs

Thanks so much, for your polite/noble efforts!:cool:

Peace.

Alex!

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can please any of you write me back the "Rates" for this "Conditioning" possibility?:twothumbs

I believe the 800S discharges at 250mA regardless of whether the charge rate is set at normal or soft.

The manual for the 800S does seem to be aimed at the "charger illiterate", ie. sans any real useful information!

Dave

Last edited:

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

Maybe during "Discharging"...(As my vintages 1,300Mh GP brand...at that stage were cool...but during "Recharging" state goes "EXTREMELY" hotter???:candle:). Luckily...I also own the LaCrosse BC-900...(OK...ONLY 4 batteries instead 8 at once!), at "Conditioning" stage...factory default (100 Discharge/200 Recharge), took few days...but after so was 100% successful succeeded:D).

For so...seems me that the factory is afraid to tell exactly the rates...maybe I think...I'M NOT sure of course...(For so, my enquirer!:shakehead), the Discharging rate is 500Mh & recharging till the "Cute Microprocessor"...decided that is 100% "Refreshed...:confused: is at 1000Mh:huh:. Which is TO MUCH...for such Vintages 1,300 Mh units!.

I'm right...please!lovecpf

Peace,

Alex!

Last edited:

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

Yes just check it at TD...you are right 100%...but...but...is wrote ONLY "Discharging Conditioned" 250Mh...but WHAT HAPPEN...at "Recharging mode"???:confused:

MH-C800S Specifications:

• Maha MH-C800S Charge Time: 2 Hr. ( Normal Charge ) / 4Hr. ( Soft Charge ) - regardless of the number of rechargeable batteries
  • Fast Charge Current: 1000mA (AA), 700mA (AAA)
  • Soft Charge Current: 500mA (AA), 350mA (AAA)
  • Conditioning Discharge Current : 250mA
  • The MH-C800S charger has Ultra Precision Control - same capabilities as the Maha MH-C800S Battery Charger just at a slower charge rate.
  • Industrial Strength Heavy Duty Fiberglass Circuit Board - super quality design and fully factory tested .
  • Supported Batteries : 1 to 8 AA / AAA NiMH or NiCD Rechargeable's
  • Capable of charging any brand or capacity of rechargeable batteries, even the higher capacity batteries of the future.
  • Automatic battery detection and recovery system.
  • Power Source: Included AC Adapter - 100-240 VAC , 50/60 Hz
  • 3 Year Limited Warranty on the Maha MH-C800S Battery Charger
  • Manufactured to the Worlds highest standards in ISO-9001 Certified Facilities - 100% Factory Tested.

None about... "Conditioning Recharging Back Rate". BTW...wrote to the factory Technically Dept! + British Officially Representative...from BOTH...till YET!!!...No any responses!:tired:

Peace,

Alex!

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Alex, I do not have an 800S. The only reason I know something about them is I researched the 8xx series a while back. I decided to get the 808M, but have not done so yet.

As far as I know, the charge rate is set when you put the cells in. If you do not do anything, it will charge at the high rate. If you put the cells in and push the "Soft" button, it will charge at the lower rate. I do not think pushing the "refresh" button will affect these settings.

Dave

Last edited:

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
Hi again my dear Dave,

At "Soft" input...charges at 500Mh...which is FOR ME...optimum!!!. My "Common Senses" tell me that when the "Discharging at "Conditioning" feature is 250Mh...the "Re-Charging MUST be "DOUBLE"... IMO 500Mh...but as my "First Tried" "Vintages" GP 1,300Mh were SO HOT...that I really stopped the "Conditioning"...procedure when with my hand the cells were SO...SO HOT...that I was afraid that will "Exploded":oops:
But...as also own a LaCrosse BC-900...such "Vintages' GP batteries. I decided that ONLY with the BC-900 I will do "Refreshing" :twothumbs, for be sure that will NOT explode. as it's possible; with my newer MH-800S:thinking:. (Till in a near future I will obtain some more reliable factory information!:confused:)

Peace,

Alex!

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "Common Senses" tell me that when the "Discharging at "Conditioning" feature is 250Mh...the "Re-Charging MUST be "DOUBLE"... IMO 500Mh...

It is not your "common sense" that is causing your confusion, but rather you are assuming the Maha 800 "must" operate like your BC-900. The BC-900 shoehorns the user into a "charge rate is double the discharge rate" mantra. The BC-900 and the Maha are different birds. The Maha operates exactly as the specs state: discharge is always 250 mA regardless of charge rate, and the charge rate is either soft or not, depending on your selection. Condition and soft mode are selected independently, and operate independently. It's that simple. Hope this clears it up.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
...At "Soft" input...charges at 500Mh...which is FOR ME...optimum!!!. My "Common Senses" tell me that when the "Discharging at "Conditioning" feature is 250Mh...the "Re-Charging MUST be "DOUBLE"... IMO 500Mh...but as my "First Tried" "Vintages" GP 1,300Mh were SO HOT...that I really stopped the "Conditioning"...procedure when with my hand the cells were SO...SO HOT...that I was afraid that will "Exploded":oops:

You are pressing the SOFT button first, then the CONDITION button, right? :confused:
...I informed them that i know the secret of pressing the soft button first and then hitting the condition button to kick the MH-C800S into soft condition/charge mode.

Maybe this also applies? Getting the MH-C808 into 'Conditioning Mode' :thinking:

Any flashing 'Done'?

...But...as also own a LaCrosse BC-900...such "Vintages' GP batteries. I decided that ONLY with the BC-900 I will do "Refreshing" :twothumbs, for be sure that will NOT explode...

Please run a DISCHARGE Cycle @ 200/100 on your BC-900 and report back with the 'Accumulated Capacity' for these 'vintage' cells. Then run a TEST Cycle @ 200/100 and report back with the 'Discharge Capacity'. I'd like to compare the results.

Thanks! :popcorn:

Last edited:

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
It is not your "common sense" that is causing your confusion, but rather you are assuming the Maha 800 "must" operate like your BC-900. The BC-900 shoehorns the user into a "charge rate is double the discharge rate" mantra. The BC-900 and the Maha are different birds. The Maha operates exactly as the specs state: discharge is always 250 mA regardless of charge rate, and the charge rate is either soft or not, depending on your selection. Condition and soft mode are selected independently, and operate independently. It's that simple. Hope this clears it up.

My dear "Turbo",

Yes I'm confused now more...sorry as my mother language isn't English, will try to explicate myself better...trusting that an a very cute/polite gentleman as you will comprehend what I wrote:confused:

Decided "ALWAYS" to charge/recharge my batteries collection at "SOFT"...500Mh for prolong their live...OK...discharging rate is as you explicated 250Mh...accepted...what already dropped a mail to the Technical Dept at Maha in US...at "Soft" after the discahrging...the "Recharging" rate...till NOW...NO input/polite response from them:confused:

Still waiting, if WILL BE...any news of course all of you will very well informed!:wave:

Peace.

Alex!

Alex 007

Newly Enlightened
You are pressing the SOFT button first, then the CONDITION button, right? :confused:

Maybe this also applies? Getting the MH-C808 into 'Conditioning Mode' :thinking:

Any flashing 'Done'?

Please run a DISCHARGE Cycle @ 200/100 on your BC-900 and report back with the 'Accumulated Capacity' for these 'vintage' cells. Then run a TEST Cycle @ 200/100 and report back with the 'Discharge Capacity'. I'd like to compare the results.

Thanks! :popcorn:
Hi The Active!

TheActive;3149475]You are pressing the SOFT button first, then the CONDITION button, right? :confused:

NO...load ONE cell at the left slot & press immediately the "Conditioning" button...after so, & read that show me "Conditioning' state...load the other 7 batteries. But NEXT use will try as you advice me...if works!:)

Yes the flashing works!

Will do it specially for inform you with ample details!

Peace,:wave:

Alex!

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Conditioning" mode on MH-C808 not truly independent channels?

Not being able to find a dedicated C808 thread, I'll post here, since I assume the 800 has the same funtionality.

First, a question. In conditioning mode, the Maha manual states that the 808 applies "a special initial charge" before discharging. What makes this charge "special" as opposed to a "normal" charge?

Second, the C9000 allows it's cells to independently rest for an hour between charge and discharge, with "REST" appearing in the display for each one while doing so. The 808 has no such indicator, and I question whether each cell is receiving it's due rest of equivalent duration compared to it's next nearest "cell" mate. Thomas Distibutings detailed explanation of the 808 states:

"The MH-C808M uses a very intelligent conditioning algorithm. In a nutshell, the charger will let the batteries to rest until all batteries are charged before going to discharge. Similarly, the charger will wait until all the batteries are discharged before going to charge. While charging, however, the charger will show the next step (ie. in the initial charge, two batteries might show charge and 6 batteries show discharge - the six batteries are actually "standing by" for discharge. Discharge commences only when all batteries have finished charging.) The purpose of this is to allow for sufficient time to elapse between charge-discharge without waiting too long. Many designers omit the rest time, but is critical for maximizing battery life cycles." This is the reason behind the perception of a "long" charge during the conditioning cycle. The batteries actually don't start charging (despite LCD display) until all batteries are discharged. You can detect the moment the charger starts charging when all the CHARGE indicators are on for the first time.

The way I read this is the first cell to terminate gets to rest the longest, before discharging, while it is waiting for the others to finish charging. Subsequent cells which terminate get to rest as long as there is another still charging. But woe to the last cell to terminate, as once it does, they will all immediately switch to discharge. So it gives the first cell a long rest, the last cell no rest, and the others fall somewhere between. This seems to contradict the portion of the claim above highlighted in bold:

The purpose of this is to allow for sufficient time to elapse between charge-discharge without waiting too long. Many designers omit the rest time, but is critical for maximizing battery life cycles."

The last cell to terminate gets no rest, and whether or not the first cell's get a rest which is "too long" (?) is completely dependent upon when the other/last cells terminate. I tend to think that rather than this being a truly 100% independent charger in the discharge mode, it instead simply dumps the cells onto a single resistor after the last cell terminates. I know Maha did not do the write-up on TD's site, but they talk like they practically designed the thing, and I'd like to think the technical TD guys know what they are talking about in their technical write-up.

Am I right that the 808 doesn't discharge and rest independently, unlike the C9000? I know since the 808 isn't an analyzer like the C9000, a specific rest time for each cell may not be as critical. But if the rest time is so "critical for maximizing battery life cycles" as TD says, it would seem there will always be one unlucky cell that gets the dirty end of the stick each time it switches to charge or discharge in condition mode.

bp044

Enlightened
Re: "Conditioning" mode on MH-C808 not truly independent channels?

Not being able to find a dedicated C808 thread, I'll post here, since I assume the 800 has the same funtionality.

First, a question. In conditioning mode, the Maha manual states that the 808 applies "a special initial charge" before discharging. What makes this charge "special" as opposed to a "normal" charge?

Second, the C9000 allows it's cells to independently rest for an hour between charge and discharge, with "REST" appearing in the display for each one while doing so. The 808 has no such indicator, and I question whether each cell is receiving it's due rest of equivalent duration compared to it's next nearest "cell" mate. Thomas Distibutings detailed explanation of the 808 states:

The way I read this is the first cell to terminate gets to rest the longest, before discharging, while it is waiting for the others to finish charging. Subsequent cells which terminate get to rest as long as there is another still charging. But woe to the last cell to terminate, as once it does, they will all immediately switch to discharge. So it gives the first cell a long rest, the last cell no rest, and the others fall somewhere between. This seems to contradict the portion of the claim above highlighted in bold:

The last cell to terminate gets no rest, and whether or not the first cell's get a rest which is "too long" (?) is completely dependent upon when the other/last cells terminate. I tend to think that rather than this being a truly 100% independent charger in the discharge mode, it instead simply dumps the cells onto a single resistor after the last cell terminates. I know Maha did not do the write-up on TD's site, but they talk like they practically designed the thing, and I'd like to think the technical TD guys know what they are talking about in their technical write-up.

Am I right that the 808 doesn't discharge and rest independently, unlike the C9000? I know since the 808 isn't an analyzer like the C9000, a specific rest time for each cell may not be as critical. But if the rest time is so "critical for maximizing battery life cycles" as TD says, it would seem there will always be one unlucky cell that gets the dirty end of the stick each time it switches to charge or discharge in condition mode.

I am still confused. If I simply want to condition AAA cells must I put one in , quickly push the soft button and then the condition button ? Then merely insert the other 7 cells ? Or just the use the conditioning button and assume the charger will know that AAA's need softer treatment, and I do not need to use both buttons ? Can someone walk me thru the simple but proper procedure ?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Bp044,

To condition AAA cells, insert one cell and push the condition button. Then you can add all the other cells you want to condition.

To condition AAA cells using the lower charge rate, insert one cell, push the soft button, then push the condition button. Then you can add the other cells you want to condition.

Tom

bp044

Enlightened

Hello Bp044,

To condition AAA cells, insert one cell and push the condition button. Then you can add all the other cells you want to condition.

To condition AAA cells using the lower charge rate, insert one cell, push the soft button, then push the condition button. Then you can add the other cells you want to condition.

Tom

Tom
Thanks,as always clear and concise explainations

bcwang

Enlightened
Hi Dave,

Yes just check it at TD...you are right 100%...but...but...is wrote ONLY "Discharging Conditioned" 250Mh...but WHAT HAPPEN...at "Recharging mode"???:confused:

MH-C800S Specifications:

• Maha MH-C800S Charge Time: 2 Hr. ( Normal Charge ) / 4Hr. ( Soft Charge ) - regardless of the number of rechargeable batteries
  • Fast Charge Current: 1000mA (AA), 700mA (AAA)
  • Soft Charge Current: 500mA (AA), 350mA (AAA)
  • Conditioning Discharge Current : 250mA
  • The MH-C800S charger has Ultra Precision Control - same capabilities as the Maha MH-C800S Battery Charger just at a slower charge rate.
  • Industrial Strength Heavy Duty Fiberglass Circuit Board - super quality design and fully factory tested .
  • Supported Batteries : 1 to 8 AA / AAA NiMH or NiCD Rechargeable's
  • Capable of charging any brand or capacity of rechargeable batteries, even the higher capacity batteries of the future.
  • Automatic battery detection and recovery system.
  • Power Source: Included AC Adapter - 100-240 VAC , 50/60 Hz
  • 3 Year Limited Warranty on the Maha MH-C800S Battery Charger
  • Manufactured to the Worlds highest standards in ISO-9001 Certified Facilities - 100% Factory Tested.

None about... "Conditioning Recharging Back Rate". BTW...wrote to the factory Technically Dept! + British Officially Representative...from BOTH...till YET!!!...No any responses!:tired:

Peace,

Alex!

I believe the Thomas Distributing description to be incorrect. I believe the most correct values are.

1000ma charge normal/ 500ma charge soft (AA or AAA)
250ma discharge normal/ 125ma discharge soft (AA or AAA)

I came to this conclusion due to the fact that AA and AAA slots are electrically the same so there is no way for the charger to differentiate them. And I know the soft mode discharge is much slower than normal mode discharge. 250ma comes up the most, and was from a reply from maha to someone's query. The only thing that's not quite certain is the trickle charge rate in normal and soft mode. It would be nice if someone had scope equipment to confirm the exact charge/discharge/trickle rates in each mode. Years from introduction and we still don't know exactly how this charger works.