New Malkoff MDC in the works.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ben, the picture posted by Norm above shows that you were right in our conversation the other day about the MDC - you mentioned that both AA and 123 variants have similar markings. Your quote of Gene's explanation of how the two heads work is further enlightening, thanks!

Just wondering aloud, why doesn't Gene mark the heads differently (i.e. 'MDC AA' and 'MDC 123') to allow differentiation between them? I can imagine the dilemma a Malkoff Devices collector/hoarder will have, when he finds that he's mixed up the heads on his table of Malkoff parts and can't identify which one is the 123 head and which one is the AA head that will take li-ions!

Either you mark it yourself if you have both or test both on a AA tube. I would imagine that the CR123 version may not light up and even if it does, it will be really dim.
:)

Machete God

Enlightened
Either you mark it yourself if you have both or test both on a AA tube. I would imagine that the CR123 version may not light up and even if it does, it will be really dim.
:)
That's a good idea - I think I'll go with marking it should the situation present itself. I would presume the 123 version would still light up on a single AA, as the head states 1-3V?

In other MDC-AA related news, I am loving mine in it's pocket rocket (running off a 14500) role. And I found that the SureFire F04 diffuser works a treat on the MDC head. It is a VERY snug fit, though - probably stretches the F04 out a bit as they don't fit as snugly on the L1/E1B/E1E any more!

IMG_9754_800_zpsda6796e7.jpg

IMG_9760_800_zps38720c5f.jpg

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a dream last night that Gene came out with a L-M-H MDC 123 that would run on RCRs, but the only color it was available in was pink :eek:

I'd still buy one :thumbsup:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a dream last night that Gene came out with a L-M-H MDC 123 that would run on RCRs, but the only color it was available in was pink :eek:

I'd still buy one :thumbsup:

Your wish could be granted since we know that Gene already have the LMH driver found in the M361 LMH. I would imagine that it will be just as easy to plonk it into the MDC.

Pink is a nice and very noticeable color to have on a flashlight.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing. There have been no shortage of people who said they would buy an MDC if it had L-M-H, and there is apparently a LMH driver now so...

Your wish could be granted since we know that Gene already have the LMH driver found in the M361 LMH. I would imagine that it will be just as easy to plonk it into the MDC.

Pink is a nice and very noticeable color to have on a flashlight.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just comes down to flood vs. throw. The 219 is floody, the "N" XP-G2 is throwy. Tint is very comparable.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2/Scout head arrived today.

I'm definitely liking it so far, and patiently waiting for a L-M-H MDC.

Grizz

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

I was thinking about an M61N SHO or M61N, now the 3mode MDC head comes along. I guess I will have to get both.:banghead:

I would like to hear some thoughts on the M61's though. These would be running on an MD2 body.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Noticed this today: A 3 mode Malkoff MDC Head for a single Li-ion rechargeable

Malkoff MDC HA LMH Li-ion Rechargeable Head

Wow, Gene doesn't play around. When he says coming soon, he means it!

I literally just finished a review of the MDC lineup, so in honor of the new Li-Ion version I'll share some stuff that might apply to the new MDC head. It looks like the drive current (on high) for the new model is similar to the MDC AA on a Li-Ion so this may give some indication of what to expect on one 16340 . . .

Malkoff_MDC_2.jpg

And here's a few beamshots comparing the MDC AA running on a 14500 to a few other lights . . .

MDC AA with AW 14500

Malkoff_MDC_AA_14500.JPG

MDC 1CR123 SHO on SureFire primary

Malkoff_MDC_1CR123_SHO.JPG

SureFire Fury

SureFire_Fury_500_lumen.JPG

Several other pics in the review.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like we're getting closer to the perfect to EDC, put me down for the neutral version when it's released :hitit:

Norm

It looks like it's the same driver and set-up as the new M361 LMH drop-in . . . which has a neutral version. You might be in luck!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting. The Eneloop was very consistent throughout the run. 95 minutes at 100% is pretty good in my book.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Very interesting. The Eneloop was very consistent throughout the run. 95 minutes at 100% is pretty good in my book.

Was it a XX or regular? Very nice, thanks for the info!

I sold my 123 MDC bc my AA gets all the pocket time. The brightness on a Eneloop is just right for Edc.