New Nitecore Intellicharger i4 is acting oddly? Did I receive a defective unit?

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
I'm noticing strange behavior from my new Intellicharger i4.
While charging new Tenergy 2600mah 18650s, as expected, the charger will display both solid and flashing LEDs depending on the charge level of the cells. Then periodically, all (12) yellow LEDs will turn off then all will turn on, before resuming normal/expected charge operation and display. It's as if the unit is repeatedly booting during the charge cycle.

Unit also gets very HOT, and smells like burning electronic components.

Did I receive a defective unit?

Also, when a cell is fully charged, what is the correct behavior of the leds for that cell? All 3 on (constant)? All 3 flashing on/off in unison?

TIA!

Last edited:

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Re: New Nitecore Intellicharger i4 is acting oddly? Did I recieve a defective unit?

Mine does not do that.it sure sounds like its booting itself have you checked the mains connection or the cable?when the battery is fully charged all three leds stay on.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Nitecore Intellicharger i4 is acting oddly? Did I recieve a defective unit?

Yes, that sounds weird. Mine makes all the LEDs stay on solidly when fully charged as well, and I never have the LEDs turn off unless I lose power (like at one place I stayed when I initially didn't realize that the switch turned the outlet on and off).

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I'm noticing strange behavior from my new Intellicharger i4.
While charging new Tenergy 2600mah 18650s, as expected, the charger will display both solid and flashing LEDs depending on the charge level of the cells. Then periodically, all (12) yellow LEDs will turn off then all will turn on, before resuming normal/expected charge operation and display. It's as if the unit is repeatedly booting during the charge cycle.

Unit also gets very HOT, and smells like burning electronic components.

Did I receive a defective unit?

Also, when a cell is fully charged, what is the correct behavior of the leds for that cell? All 3 on (constant)? All 3 flashing on/off in unison?

TIA!

Get is exchanged if possible, that does sound like a defective unit. Two quick questions though: is this a v1 or a v2, and are you using a 110V/220V cable or a power converter?

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
Get is exchanged if possible, that does sound like a defective unit. Two quick questions though: is this a v1 or a v2, and are you using a 110V/220V cable or a power converter?
v2, plugged into home outlet (120VAC 60Hz)

Update: I exchanged the defective unit for another, which should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
v2, plugged into home outlet (120VAC 60Hz)

Update: I exchanged the defective unit for another, which should arrive tomorrow.

Hmm, those are optimal conditions; hope your new unit will be better!
I have not had any issues with mine and am still quite happy with it almost a year in.

Last edited:

tripplec

Enlightened
I certainly would not be using it with 18650's like that. Them suckers can do a lot of damage if its over charging them. I have and I4 V2 and it runs cool as a cumcumber. (But not suitable for your salad). DOA and maybe the batteries damaged as well. But not enough info on what you have and have done.

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
30049x350.jpg

Tenergy #30049

Batteries and charger were new.
- Plugged in charger
- Inserted 3 new batteries
- Seemed to be charging, but also rebooting repeatedly.
- i4 got HOT, and smelled like overheating electronics
- Batteries did not get hot.

tripplec

Enlightened
What you saying now? Yeah the battery is compatible with a V2 charger but if its that hot something is seriously wrong as I said. Get it replaced while you can. The cell should not get warm or hot. They can explode big time causing extremely serious injury!!!

There are plenty of threads on using Li-ion and precautions to take.

Last edited:

Backpacker

Newly Enlightened
Received my replacement i4 charger

The replacement charger is functioning correctly, no rebooting.
It's also stays fairly cool while charging. (barely warmer than ambient temp)
Surprisingly, the spring tabs on this unit extend much more easily/smoothly.
I bet there was a design change, but can't confirm as I've already returned the first unit.
Unfortunately, this one did not include the car charger cable. :(

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Received my replacement i4 charger

I'm glad that your new one works better. It definitely is a bad idea to keep using a bad charger.

tripplec

Enlightened
Re: Received my replacement i4 charger

The replacement charger is functioning correctly, no rebooting.
It's also stays fairly cool while charging. (barely warmer than ambient temp)
Surprisingly, the spring tabs on this unit extend much more easily/smoothly.
I bet there was a design change, but can't confirm as I've already returned the first unit.
Unfortunately, this one did not include the car charger cable. :(

Good to hear. Yes mine runs cool both the batteries and bottom are cool on the I4 charger. I had just gone through charging a pair of 18650's in mine that I bought and everything was normal including the cells.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, who or where can I contact to try to replace mine? I buy mine from I think was a reseller in the cpf market just release the v2

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact the seller first. If they can't help you, contact the manufacturer. Contact and Warranty info is at the link you provided.

Thanks, I just do that, I contact BOG USA and they respond me that they dont have business with nitecore any more, I contact nitecore last night, I hope that they contact me with a solution...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D