New Offroad Light Cannon with Luminus SST-90

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The terms "absolute white" and "Euro beam" still don't mean anything but whatever someone might want them to mean at the time. "Driving beam" is a formally defined term in Europe, not in the United States.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The terms "absolute white" and "Euro beam" still don't mean anything but whatever someone might want them to mean at the time.

I was looking more for a "baby-powder white" "Latino beam" fog/driving light with a modulator and built-in front brake light to increase conspicuity, myself.

/I can hear Scheinwerfermann twitching all the way over here!

HB021

Newly Enlightened
You guys are just negative, sarcastic and boring, how could someone possibly have a discussion against you guys..

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are just negative, sarcastic and boring, how could someone possibly have a discussion against you guys..

Because we don't fall for terms like "Euro beam" and "absolute white", we're negative or boring? My response regarding "baby powder white" and "Latino beam" may have been a little sarcastic, but it certainly wasn't boring -- and was also something of an inside joke to the more regular people in this particular subforum..

The problem is, a great many lights (not to be confused with "many a great light" or "many great lights") are marketed with overhyped terms, glittering generalities without any real technical meaning, or acceptance in any industry. They look great on a webpage or in an ad, but they don't stand up to scrutiny. Other times, they use terms that have real meaning and look impressive (like "Xenon"), but there's no reason that the terms would need to be used, or the addition of such terms gives no real indication of the performance. A box of salt described as "microfractured halite Krystals(TM)" is just a box of salt. We know what halite is, but adding "microfractured" and using "Krystals(TM)" just hypes it up a bit. Similarly, a bag of pure cane sugar marked "Sodium Free!" and "0 Trans Fats!" is absolutely correct, but we already know cane sugar is sodium free and has 0 trans fats. Similarly, a light bulb with Xenon as part of the fill gas is really no big deal, but that word becomes a fixation point and people rally around it like the pennant of sports team from their area.

We're not being adversarial here, we're just injecting some facts and the occasional levity.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
marketed with overhyped terms, glittering generalities without any real technical meaning, or acceptance in any industry. They look great on a webpage or in an ad, but they don't stand up to scrutiny. Other times, they use terms that have real meaning and look impressive (like "Xenon"), but there's no reason that the terms would need to be used, or the addition of such terms gives no real indication of the performance. A box of salt described as "microfractured halite Krystals(TM)" is just a box of salt. We know what halite is, but adding "microfractured" and using "Krystals(TM)" just hypes it up a bit. Similarly, a bag of pure cane sugar marked "Sodium Free!" and "0 Trans Fats!" is absolutely correct, but we already know cane sugar is sodium free and has 0 trans fats. Similarly, a light bulb with Xenon as part of the fill gas is really no big deal, but that word becomes a fixation point and people rally around it like the pennant of sports team from their area.

Exactly right. (that almost looks like this)

We're not being adversarial here, we're just injecting some facts and the occasional levity.

That's what I'm trying for. If that upsets someone looking for validation of his purchase decision, or a new poster who doesn't know what he doesn't know, that's unfortunate, but it's also their choice to be offended. Nobody forces them.

SemiMan

Banned

A discussion involves a mutual discussion of ideas ... as opposed to what you are expecting ... someone to be told "they are right" or "hey that's great" .... when they are wrong and it is crap. That may be harsh, but it is true. We are not big on perpetual motion machines either, though you may be able to goad us into a discussion on cold fusion.

Semiman

HB021

Newly Enlightened
Choose to be offended? When someone is being sarcastic after I put effort into a post, also pretty exclusive footage, I will get offended. Also I'm not new into this business and not new here on CPF, though I mainly read flashlight reviews. But this attitude of yours is just frustrating. If you we're having a discussion with me face to face and you were to start making fun of me, I would slap you in the face or walk away because it makes me angry. I just don't think it's appropriate when someone is putting time and effort into it. I regret ever putting up these pictures and my whole post here because it wasted my time and was doomed by 'experts' who are supposed to act like admins, not childish know-it-all's.

I do agree that this whole business is filled with liars and cheaters and that hard facts are not always easy to find.
This problem mostly occurs at sellers with cheap no-name products though.
"1600lm Cree XM-L T6 flashlight with 1000m reach" while being driven at 1,5A really has about 500 lumens.

Yes, okay the names are silly and some of the advertisements can be argued about, but look at the no-name product-ads their up against promising same quality and better performance at half price. I work with these lights and test them in the field together with many other famous brands. So I do know what I'm talking about, Vision X is high quality brand and should be respected for that. Compared to many other brands the standard of paint, water resistance and durability their the leader of the pack.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Choose to be offended?

Yes, sir or madam. And that's your choice to make. My experience is that life is less stressful when we choose not to be offended.

I'm not new into this business

That may be so, but your misuse of terminology and adherence to notions that can't be supported by reality gives the appearance that you're just beginning on your journey towards knowledge of automotive lighting.

If you we're having a discussion with me face to face and you were to start making fun of me, I would slap you in the face

1. I'm not making fun of you.
2. Threats of physical violence are not acceptable.

or walk away

Much better.

I regret ever putting up these pictures and my whole post here because it wasted my time

I don't see how, unless you were expecting validation via a thundering chorus of agreement with your ideas. Nobody is perfect and nobody has all the right answers all the time, but when there are basic, fundamental flaws in the basis of your statements, there's enough knowledge on here that you're probably going to get called out for it. When that happens, the adult thing to do is to take advantage of the opportunity to learn and increase your level of knowledge.

I work with these lights and test them in the field together with many other famous brands. So I do know what I'm talking about

I don't agree that the second necessarily follows from the first.

Vision X is high quality brand and should be respected for that.

When there's objective data soundly based in reality, then maybe. But just because you (or anyone else) says so? No, I don't agree.

HB021

Newly Enlightened
That may be so, but your misuse of terminology and adherence to notions that can't be supported by reality gives the appearance that you're just beginning on your journey towards knowledge of automotive lighting.

I'm not making fun of you.

Okay first of all, it wasn't you who was sarcastic, my reply was multidirectional.

I'm very scientific and I also dislike exaggerated or false product descriptions but my terms like "absolute white" was not used to enhance one product, it was used to describe what I find out most blinding in snowy weather, but still most effective overall.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly right. (that almost looks like this)

From the linked article
So everything's billed as a "technology", whether it merits that description or not. Mostly not; I can say I'm going to "deploy lipid-disintegration surfactant and hemmed-microfiber absorptive technology to take my fenestral visual clarity to the next level," which sounds all cutting-edge and certainly worth money, but all it means in the real world is that I'm going to clean my windows with soapy water and a rag. Much less sexy, but hey, if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS and listen to the cash register ring.

LOL! Brilliant!

HB021

Newly Enlightened
Scheinwerfermann, I appreciate we have to work within the rules but I've just spent 10 minutes searching for these, without any luck. Like most on here I'm interested and curious about lights, especially new technology. I see forums, like this one as a means of sharing information of common interest. I'd like to think that we're mostly grown up enough to be able to tell the difference between overt advertising or even shilling against just sharing. Could we at least have the name of the company so we don't all waste our time searching page after page without having much idea of what we're looking for other than it is reasonably sure to use an SST-90? Would this be any different than posting up that Hella/Philips/Lightforce/Osram have a new product?

You have a point here.