• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New QTC pills?

bansuri

Enlightened
Recently got an El Cap and was having difficulties with the QTC, (gen 2). Tried cleaning it, still jumpy.
Roughed up both sides with the fine side of an emery board, cleaned with alcohol and now it works great!
Previously I had to tighten it to full output and unscrew to get ANY ramping action, now it ramps up and down as it should.
I've never had any luck with the QTC in the past so I ordered this light at a fixed level #3 in case it didn't work out. Don't need a monster for every task and level 3 is nice for nighttime use.
Now I have level 3 and everything below it! Since the range from zero to #3 is not that great the ramping action is very smooth compared to 0 to 120 lumens in 1/4 turn.

manoloco

Enlightened
For Eiger owners : just tried making a bigger circle of QTC material (a size almost identical to the identation on the top pill part on an Eiger, the QTC material that comes with the pill is a tad smaller than that identation) it works good, but will have to see if it keeps like that in the coming days, hoping the QTC material is now wide enough to keep the discs parallel, and also by fitting with less play inside the little identation the disc should tilt less.

will let know how it goes

afraidofdark

Enlightened
I got my SS Eiger Keychain body back from Robyn with the upgraded Gen 2 QTC, and it's a whole new light! The QTC--which had been twitchy as all get out when I first received the light a year ago--now ramps smoothly and evenly from sub-lumen to full blast :)

And I think the battery tube is a tad deeper now, when I use an eneloop AAA cell now I can screw the head in further and get past the o-ring fully.

Thank you Peak and Oveready!! lovecpf

AEntreri0

Newly Enlightened
I got a 17500 with an XP-G2 a few weeks ago and the ramping went straight from ~15 lumens to the full 300, so I decided to open up the pill to try the "paper washer" solution, but the circular metal plate won't fit back into the plastic piece. Any suggestions? If I could get the QTC to work properly this would be by far my favorite light.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I got a 17500 with an XP-G2 a few weeks ago and the ramping went straight from ~15 lumens to the full 300, so I decided to open up the pill to try the "paper washer" solution, but the circular metal plate won't fit back into the plastic piece. Any suggestions? If I could get the QTC to work properly this would be by far my favorite light.

Ive never had a 17500 sized pill but all the others are just a press fit. Line it up correctly and push.
let us know how it works out for you.

AEntreri0

Newly Enlightened
Ive never had a 17500 sized pill but all the others are just a press fit. Line it up correctly and push.
let us know how it works out for you.

I've tried it in every orientation and the only result is two very painful thumb tips! I had managed to open and close it back up twice before to check if just reassembling it might make a difference, but it no longer fits.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere the squares of QTC without a hole punched through it works great. If you can get your hands on some it should do the trick.

Last edited:

AEntreri0

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the metal plate has a lot of gouge marks on the inner side that result in some bits of metal sticking out the side. These might be preventing the disc from fitting back into the delrin. Here's a terrible picture taken on my cell phone to illustrate.

iz24w9.png

Should I file down these edges to try to get it to fit, or are they intentional? I just don't get how the thing fit back together the first two times. I tried emailing Oveready since they helped me with an earlier problem, but no response so far. I might just contact Curt and pay for a new pill altogether.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I can see some of those little flares on the edge of the disk in your terrible photo. Mine are all smooth on the sides. I cant imagine how it got dented like that? I would defiantly try filing it. Just don't take off to much, my pill is kind of worn out and loose. I have to be very careful reinstalling it because it can fall apart very easily.

AEntreri0

Newly Enlightened
I filed it down and now it all fits back together. Thank you all for the assurance that it wasn't normal. Unfortunately it still ramps terribly, but now I think I'll order a second pill and experiment on this first one with some people's suggestions.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know if the night patrol series uses QTC on the adjustable models? Does anyone have any lux readings or estimations on those? I haven't found any thorough reviews like selfbuilt's.

jorgen

Enlightened
Adjustable Night Patrol models utilize a rheostat which is far more reliable than a qtc.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adjustable Night Patrol models utilize a rheostat which is far more reliable than a qtc.

That said, it functions exactly like a volume knob on a stereo. Instead of adjusting sound it adjusts light output. If Peak ever manages to put a rheostat in a Logan I'm buying it.

Last edited: