New runtime on the L4?

cruisemissile

Enlightened
i just got my brand spankin new L4 and tested it against my other L4.
I cant' take pictures to save my life but here's what I can take away:
1) The older L4 is def warmer (I think the pics here show that) and
2) The newer L4 has a brighter/defined hot-spot. (pics here show that too)

I like em both..!
I am still glad I dropped the cash on the new L4.
I found it on ebay for $130, (new in package) which was pretty reasonable...
I'm a happy camper.!

speaking of E2DL- the defender's reflecter is shiny vs the L4's a bit more textured. I'm no expert, but this might make a difference in throw.
I love my E2DL..!!

cruisemissile

Enlightened
ahh dont worry about the pics.

so is the L4 brighter or the E2DL brighter?

what is the tint like for the L4? and also, did u get the L4 with a short clip or a long clip?

the brightness- its like comparing apples and oranges. the E2DL has a bigger hotspot and waay better throw, the L4 alot of spill.

the tint on both my e2dl and l4 are a nice white.

i got the l4 with a short clip. I didn't know they came with a long clip.
one tidbit- if you get an L4, make sure the serial # begins with a "B" if you want one of the 120 lumen editions.

another note- while my older L4 head works with a 1-cell, the newer L4 does not.

hope this helps, in case you're on the fence about buying one.
(either E2DL or newer L4)

nbp

Flashaholic
Ok, I admit I didn't read this WHOLE thread...

but I just picked up an L4. I didn't mean to....honest :oops: :sssh:

A local store had a going out of business sale and I got a WICKED deal :nana:

But I just want to figure out which version I got. I think it's the Lux V version. KL4 head has serial number A10614, and the package advertised 3 hours runtime. It doesn't look like a P4, so is the Lux V the die they used just before the P4? The beam is super floody and creamy white, I really like it. :thumbsup: If it is the Lux V, it looks like there is a lot of fans around here.

Am I on the right track?

nbp

Flashaholic
Perfect! Thanks Illum. It's definitely a Lux V. I think this will be a great camp/hike/hunt/geocache light with this floody beam....glad I splurged :devil:

Is it fully regulated for 3 hours, or is that total burntime till death?

And I think I read that output is approx 100 lumens with the this generation. Is that correct?

Thanks! :D

cruisemissile

Enlightened
Ok, I admit I didn't read this WHOLE thread...

but I just picked up an L4. I didn't mean to....honest :oops: :sssh:

A local store had a going out of business sale and I got a WICKED deal :nana:

But I just want to figure out which version I got. I think it's the Lux V version. KL4 head has serial number A10614, and the package advertised 3 hours runtime. It doesn't look like a P4, so is the Lux V the die they used just before the P4? The beam is super floody and creamy white, I really like it. :thumbsup: If it is the Lux V, it looks like there is a lot of fans around here.

Am I on the right track?

per Surefire info, if the serial# begins with an "A" its the 100 lumen model (Lux). the "B" serial #'s are the newer 120 lumen model.

I have both versions and wouldn't get rid of my older model, since I like the warm-ish tint quality.
count me as a fan.!

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks boys and girls :grin2:

There's nothing that can't be discovered around here :twothumbs

I think my new "old" L4 is gonna get alot of use!

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm kind of sore about the inability of the new L4 to take 17670s, it runs but in a linear fashion with very little noticeable regulation. I've been using the new L4 for only a couple months and I'm going through an unprecedented amount of cells. So much that I've placed my old L4s to work with rechargeables. :rolleyes:

the new beam profile isn't as effective as the LuxV ones, such that I needed a diffuser for close range uses. I say for what the SSC L4s provide, there are much cheaper and effective lights out there.

Last edited: