New Style Clip for the Universal Clip

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
I gotta agree, it looks right at home on an 18650 tube. I think that's where my clip is going to go as well.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I'm gonna carry it in my right front pocket for a few days...see how it does...I agree with Modern, it sits deeply and no chance it will push itself out. Carried it over to my Daughters house and wrestled around with her two boys and it stayed put no problem.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
My current decision:
p3357051621-6.jpg

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my New Style clip today for my Executive Style HDS light and am undecided about using it. Initially, I thought it would be a good summer time solution in addition to my inside pocket holster. Now, I am having second thoughts.

Presently, I have eight (8) Thors Hammer Custom Leather holster solutions and three (3) Prometheus clips. Decided not to use the Prometheus clips about a year ago because I did not like how they changed the ergonomics of my Executive Lights. My concern is similar for this new clip.

Going to think about the New Style clip for a few days and decide whether I want to install it and dedicate a HDS light to it.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
You had a month to think about it - just stick it on and try it out bro! It's not permanent. [emoji16]

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
You had a month to think about it - just stick it on and try it out bro! It's not permanent. [emoji16]

Yes, you are correct. I carry my HDS light everyday and use my light, meaning it is On, 60-90 minutes every day. For the past month I was paying careful attention to how I hold and manipulate the HDS light and came to the conclusion that a hard clip of any style, Prometheus, HDS, or other, may not be right for me personally.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I was paying careful attention to how I hold and manipulate the HDS light and came to the conclusion that a hard clip of any style, Prometheus, HDS, or other, may not be right for me personally.

I admit that I was surprised when you expressed interest in the clip. You're a holster guy like me. From another perspective, that makes you the toughest critic. If anyone is going to find the flaws, it will be the unforgiving holster devotee. Perhaps the group would benefit from your feedback? I thought about buying in for that very reason, but I just can't bring myself to spend the coin on a clip.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit that I was surprised when you expressed interest in the clip. You're a holster guy like me. From another perspective, that makes you the toughest critic. If anyone is going to find the flaws, it will be the unforgiving holster devotee. Perhaps the group would benefit from your feedback? I thought about buying in for that very reason, but I just can't bring myself to spend the coin on a clip.

I think I have resigned myself to the no clip camp. This is mostly because of how I grab and hold the HDS light. Over the last 30 days I learned that my preferred holding style is like a cigar with the light between my fingers. To get the most secure grip on the light, the clip cannot be touching either finger. To ensure that sometimes the light has to be rotated after the draw. This manipulation of the light has four drawbacks for me. 1. It takes time, 2. It takes thought, 3. It takes two hands and, 4. It means that my grip on the light is less secure during the manipulation which means I might risk dropping the light.

It it might be better to ask someone that prefers a clip to evaluate the HDS clip as it compares to other clip solutions. For the HDS light, I have learned that I am not that person.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's why neither Henry nor I are good at evaluating a clip. In my opinion, a good clip is one that can be taken off from whatever it is on, then tossed in a drawer never to be seen again.

The Rotary does present it's own very special "clip" problems because of that tail. What ends up simple on a clicky style light, becomes much more complicated with the Rotary.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, I like this clip. :)

So far the only "downside" I've noticed it that it adds a bit of girth to the head of the light just based on the way the clampy thing is desgned, which a screw on clip doesn't have. This is a small quibble though. In use, I like the double back clip. My favorite part is the deep carry - we haven't had that option since the MOLLE clips.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
It's why neither Henry nor I are good at evaluating a clip. In my opinion, a good clip is one that can be taken off from whatever it is on, then tossed in a drawer never to be seen again.

The Rotary does present it's own very special "clip" problems because of that tail. What ends up simple on a clicky style light, becomes much more complicated with the Rotary.

Well, I think you got a lot of different feedback from a fair number of different users, I have settled on having a clip only on my diffused rotary with 3500 219b emitter. It is strictly a home power outage, gentle on the eyes house light, never in a pocket slip, belt, hat, or for use to illuminate serious subjects while using persuading devices. Not my purpose, but I do like this style clip much better than the other I purchased with my first Rotary.

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Here is a quick and dirty photo of how I hold the rotary with the clip attached to the tail. Fully able to rotate the head and body while pinching the bezel with thumb and first finger, and the tail in the palm stays stationary. Note how my fingers almost use the clip shape as a placement guide for pinky and middle two fingers, good indexing in the dark, and good secuirity with the light not rotating in hand or when set on a table because of the clip. I have no need for a lanyard or other item to stop rolling on tables if needed, like on my older lights.

Also with bezel down pocket clip pants carry, I can press the button as I draw and adjust the output, with one hand. Although I rarely would carry it this way, but I do have the option.

p3359248657-6.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Since you asked...:grin2: I wouldn't mind seeing small hex screws instead of philips. I completely understand that would make it WAY too easy to strip out the body of the clip and is a non-starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing them. And maybe 5-10° less angle at the bend where the tip of the clip that sits outside your pocket is. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it almost sticks out away from the body a hair too far imho.

BY THE WAY: I will publicly admit I am a dumb bass. I was ready to send the Hogo Signal up into the sky to call Shorty or Longman for help. Fot the LIFE of me, I couldn't get the darned thing tight. I was frustrated big time. Ready to toss the clip. Had a momentary flash of brilliance and pulled all three screws and put them side by side. My old eyes were able to discern one screw being a touch longer than the other two. The long one goes in the center... DUH. :wave::eek:

SO- One more suggestion- Maybe a blackened screw for the center one? Or two blackened ones for the short ones? Some obvious way to tell them apart for us old folks?

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
What would any of you who purchased one of these clips change if anything... other than price.

Love the shape and current angles, understand that others have a legitimate different thought, but I love the design, and bezel/tail flexibility. I would not change anything beyond offering it as an available option. (maybe in black too, but that might require that anodizing word. Lol)

If put into production, I would order a second unit if I could get a rotary 18650 tube.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Since I now understand fully why ANY clip on a Rotary will hinder one hand rotary control one way or the other, I don't think it can get much better than this. After carrying the 18650 clipped in my right pocket for a few days with the clip fastened low on the bezel end, I can say for certain that this design makes the 18650 far easier to EDC. I almost never brought the 18650 out and about because pocket carry was just too cumbersome. Now it's a breeze.

Last edited:

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
Can't say I'm a fan of how the clip marks up the bezel. Not sure how it'll do if on the anodized body. On this light it's more annoying than anything. On a cerakote or special metal?? Houston, we have a problem.

8-F66496-B-61-E0-4-DFF-BCE3-FA2-BA801-E3-C9.jpg