New Surefire E2D Defender 1000 lumens - single and dual outputs

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, e2d 1000/5 has arrived. Now I myself have learned something that none of the owners wanted to talk about.

The button does not look the same as on old revisions, the base of the spring looks wider, the spring is more powerful and seems to be tinned or galvanized, the petals are also not copper, but something white, maybe tinned, I don't count on silver, but you have to look, it suddenly starts to darken, it would be nice. The ring holding the button's elastic band is filled with something black and hard, squeezed out dried droplets are visible.

The XP-L diode, the shade is not too green, a pleasant yellow-green. Installed almost in the center, on the luminous image of TIR you can see the edge of the square area of ​​the LED, it reflects the light reflected from TIR in the form of a strip, and on the other side the reflection of the cut of the dome of the diode is larger than the others. The result of this is clearly visible in the picture on the bathtub (last photo), one side of the transition zone around the hotspot is, as it were, torn apart and it all resembles a month, but this is only from a close distance, from 1.5 meters and beyond it is not noticeable.

With a more accurately centered diode, the beam will be perfect!

It is no more long-range than the older version with 200 lumens and XR-E, about the same, but I like it, very useful beam for distances up to 20-25 meters in my conditions of use, in the presence of ambient road lighting.

The clip sucks, too thin and flimsy, doesn't press tightly, I think it will break. A clip like Tactician's would fit well here, it is stronger there.

Almost a flood, close to 20 degrees hotspot, but a smaller, sometwhere between 15 and 20, later I need to measure it with a ruler more precisely on a wall 4-5 meters away and count.

update - I'm a blind chicken, why did I think about 15-20 degrees? According to the measurements, the hotspot is about 10 degrees. At a distance of 2.2 m from the wall, the hotspot takes 40 cm.

It eats everything, even 1 * 123, but they are very short-lived.

So I measured it - first the battery, the current in the upper and lower, then relative lux** in the strong and weak mode (** I'm not sure if I stood exactly 1 meter and in general luxmeter was lying a little at an angle to me) ::

1 * 16650 - 0.6 / 0.03 A

2 * 16340 - 1.75 / 0.02 A

2 * 123 - 2 / 0.02 A

1 * 123
does not ignite if <2.9 V
if> 2.9 V - it burns until it drops to 2.9, and in the strong mode there is some regular change in brightness, similar to a heartbeat, the weak one simply flickers with a higher frequency and irregularly, i.e. for lovers of defenseless 1 * 16340/16650 this can be considered both a bonus and a curse - it will not suck them out, but will most likely be cut out by ~ 2.9V, as with 1 * 123. How unexpected this will happen, I have not yet tested.

I will measure the operating time and stepdowns with different batteries later.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Desert snake, thanks for those measurements. Were you also able to check the lux on 2x123?

I'm wondering just how much output you lose with the fully charged lithium ion 16650 vs the disposables.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is weird, but might have some scientific explanation. Surefire prefers to stay at the same cd/m2 level while going up with lm level:

7892-D69-B-2164-4-D00-A747-57-FBD402-AC15.jpg

Left to right: E1B Backup 300lm, EDC1L-T 500lm, E2D Defender Ultra 1000lm. Looks like all extra lumens go to a wider hotspot and a brighter spill area (not seen on the image).

P.S.: Oh yeah, and heat generation as well :) The Defender was the warmest one after several minutes, the Backup barely warmed up.

P.P.S.: Left and right hotspots are not symmetric because of beams being non-orthogonal to the wall.

Truly. EB1 300 lm seems to have XP-G2? EB1 200 lm has XT-E inside, very focused beam is obtained, apparently he is knocked out of the line.

Checked with a luxometer at a distance of 170 cm (+/- 3 cm) from the wall. Distance is constant, the lights are on the edge of the table in the same place, the table and the wall do not move relative to each other. +/- 3 cm caused by not being sure of my ruler. I took Novatac 120 as a reference.

530 - novatac 120 lm
1340 - 16650 e2d 1000 lm
3310 - 2*123 e2d 1000 lm
3850 - 1*123 eb1 200 lm

EB1 with 200 lumens due to the almost absence of spill looks like an LEP and more long-range than the 1000 lumen version.

Desert snake, thanks for those measurements. Were you also able to check the lux on 2x123?

I'm wondering just how much output you lose with the fully charged lithium ion 16650 vs the disposables.

Checked again on fresh batteries. I don't know how much in power, but in lux it looks like ~2.5 times weaker (40% of 100%), also 16650 weaken faster in the cold than they would in the warm season.