New TruckLite LED headlights

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I see Quadratec, KC, Peterson, JWS, all have potential LED headlights for my Jeep JK

KC = rebranded Peterson unit (pretty good)
Quadratec = Maxxima unit (severely inferior)

The JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 ( chrome or black ) is really the top of the heap in terms of output, beam formation, and probably durability.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
KC = rebranded Peterson unit (pretty good)
Quadratec = Maxxima unit (severely inferior)

The JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 ( chrome or black ) is really the top of the heap in terms of output, beam formation, and probably durability.

Thanks for the input!

I was hoping you'd say the ~ $350/pair Quadratecs were as good as the $450 KC's, or $720 JW Speakers or something, but, not overly optimistic about that outcome.

BTW - Any info on the VisionX Vortex series?

They're even more expensive than the JW Speakers....but I haven't heard anything about them?

I'm thus far at least, assuming that they went higher to snag the market that would then assume they must be better, etc...but have no specs, etc.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any info on the VisionX Vortex series?

They're even more expensive than the JW Speakers....but I haven't heard anything about them?
This is true. You haven't heard anything about them.

While prior performance is no guarantee of future performance, it's probably safe to say that you don't want 'em.

Look at their claims, like: "Every part of the headlight has been approved and certified by the DOT in all states" and "There's also E-MARK and ADR models available, just in case you (sic) from another corner of the world."

But, hey, you get an LED "Halo Ring" so all's not... no, wait-- all is lost. Avoid.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
This is true. You haven't heard anything about them.

While prior performance is no guarantee of future performance, it's probably safe to say that you don't want 'em.

Look at their claims, like: "Every part of the headlight has been approved and certified by the DOT in all states" and "There's also E-MARK and ADR models available, just in case you (sic) from another corner of the world."

But, hey, you get an LED "Halo Ring" so all's not... no, wait-- all is lost. Avoid.

So, what you are saying is that spending money on the Vortex would be akin to the Vortex you see when you flush a toilet?

:D

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what you are saying is that spending money on the Vortex would be akin to the Vortex you see when you flush a toilet?

:crackup:

Yep, pretty much.

It's a testament to marketing that inferior products can demand more money.

Worse: "The Engineering, Product Development and Marketing is conducted from the Vision X USA office located in Algona Washington. Vision X Asia is home to the Manufacturing, Testing, and Inventory Logistics departments of Vision X Global Lighting."

So, there are people HERE that make way too much money on these lights that aren't even built right here in America. So, there's an incredible markup on something that you know cost very little to manufacture. So far, with every offering of JW Speaker I've checked, they're "Buy America" compliant.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The JW Speaker, Truck-Lite, and Peterson LED headlamps are fully made in the USA (the Peterson 165mm x 100mm rectangular LED headlamps are an exception "for now").

Another one that makes me think of the toilet vortex would be the Putco LuminIX item.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JW Speaker, Truck-Lite, and Peterson LED headlamps are fully made in the USA (the Peterson 165mm x 100mm rectangular LED headlamps are an exception "for now").
Very good to know that "the Big Three" (is there a "Big Three" of vehicle lighting? Would Grote actually displace JW Speaker in such a list?1​) are bringing jobs back.

Another one that makes me think of the toilet vortex would be the Putco LuminIX item.
Lumin-ICKS? Lumin-NINE? Wonder how they want that to be pronounced.
"Putco: Where the putz goes!"

1​The Big Three might be "Truck-Lite, Peterson Manufacturing, and Grote". Not sure about the order.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I ordered the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution II for the JK....so, I hope they work as well as they seem to.

:paypal:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Speaking of Truck-Lite, they have some seriously cool stuff outside the North American market. Take a look at their M900 combination rear lamp for semi trailers, go here and either wait for the M900 to pop up, or click about an inch below the "About" and "Contact" links near the top of the page, then click the red button below the picture of the lamp. Stop, tail, sequential turn signal, end outline (we say "clearance"), rear triangular retroreflector, rear fog, reversing lamp, and proximity-detecting driver-alert light functions all in one.

(Don't get old, kids...instead of going out on Friday night, you stay in looking at movies of truck trailer lights.)