New XM-L driver on DX, anyone getting one?

idlplumb

Newly Enlightened
Confirmed: Removing the smaller PCB makes this a single mode (HIGH only) driver.

Epsilon

Enlightened
I have tested it last week, it starts as 2.8a, but gracefully goes down to 2.7a. Input was 12v @1A. Output 2.7A @3.8v for a P7.

steveo_mcg

Newly Enlightened
Any idea how much power low draws from the battery? I'm trying to decide on this for a bike light but two XML emitters will only be lucky to get an hour from my battery pack.

moderator007

Enlightened
I considered using this driver. But decide to use the sst-50 driver from dx. Drives the xml to around 3.5 amps.
Very bright in a maglite. Also the modes helps with the usability of the mag as its just too bright up close.
I like H M L modes but the strobe and sos i could do without.

sall

Newly Enlightened
Any other relatively inexpensive drivers for XM-L with a wide input voltage range >12v for automotive environment? We have tried to the DX driver over at hidplanet.com and they seem to have a high failure rate.

moderator007

Enlightened
Any other relatively inexpensive drivers for XM-L with a wide input voltage range >12v for automotive environment? We have tried to the DX driver over at hidplanet.com and they seem to have a high failure rate.
Sku 26110 has been reported to work good from a 12v source. Can be modified to give 2 amps to the led. Not fully driven but will work. Read the reviews at DX for modification for 2 amp output.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tested DX3256, another AX2002 based buck driver, out to 18V with good results (stable operation). I've also mod'ed DX3256 up to 2A. Efficiency seems to suffer, though, at that level (around 78% IIRC). The driver seemed better at around 1.6A, where it was around 82%.

finges

Newly Enlightened
this driver from dx and 3x 25500 Li-ions should bring one xml to full brightness, am i right?

can someone please confirm this, then i will sent my order and complete my m@g mod. thanks

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Here's a pic of the driver the OP is about, modded for single-mode with a 1k-ohm pull-up resistor and with the edge filed. It just fits inside the cavity of the OLD style DX 52.8mm MOP MC-E reflector with base (skus 39409 & 17384). They've since changed the base to have a taller and wider cavity, but less brass to draw heat with.

moddedDX57779driver.jpg

Current output measured with a clamp meter is 2.7A. I didn't measure output of the various modes before modding for single-mode.

finges

Newly Enlightened
i just ordered this driver to use it with one xml ... one question remains: does it need a heatsink? if yes, where should the heatsink connect to the driver? thanks!

Techjunkie

Enlightened
i just ordered this driver to use it with one xml ... one question remains: does it need a heatsink? if yes, where should the heatsink connect to the driver? thanks!
In my bike light build, I don't have the driver heatsinked at all and I've run it for over an hour on high. However, I'm running 3 MC-E from 4 32600 LiFe batteries, so the difference between Vin and Vout is not that great.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is the testing Sall mentions, it may be of interest.

dx57779driverspreadsheet.jpg

dx57779driverspreadsheet2leds.jpg

dx57779driverspreadsheet3leds.jpg

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you knew I had a flashlight background didn't you? Got 5 more of these drivers in the mail today, though now I am not so sure I want to use them.

Anyone else in this thread experience any failures with this driver, or leds burning out while using it?

Richard_severn

Newly Enlightened
Here's a pic of the driver the OP is about, modded for single-mode with a 1k-ohm pull-up resistor and with the edge filed. It just fits inside the cavity of the OLD style DX 52.8mm MOP MC-E reflector with base (skus 39409 & 17384). They've since changed the base to have a taller and wider cavity, but less brass to draw heat with.

moddedDX57779driver.jpg

Current output measured with a clamp meter is 2.7A. I didn't measure output of the various modes before modding for single-mode.

I have ordered 3 of these drivers for 3 xm-LT60 1000LM from dx and their going to be used in a dive light i wanted to rive them at around 2.5 amp so they don't get to warm and they last longer with only a slight drop in output does anyone know what resister i would need to use like above but to get a lower output, thanks
[h=1]
[/h]

Techjunkie

Enlightened
I have ordered 3 of these drivers for 3 xm-LT60 1000LM from dx and their going to be used in a dive light i wanted to rive them at around 2.5 amp so they don't get to warm and they last longer with only a slight drop in output does anyone know what resister i would need to use like above but to get a lower output, thanks [/SIZE]

The resistor shown above simply replaces the PWM mode board and forces the driver to the constant on position. The driver's stock setting is for 2.7A out, as measured by myself and a few other posters. If you want to go even lower, you would have to change the value of the stack of sense resistors at R3, viewable through the hole in the inductor. A higher resistance value would yield lower output, and lowering the value would yield higher output. I don't know what the value of each of the SMD sense resistors in the stack is, but if you were to desolder them, perhaps you could just remove the lowest valued one of the three to lower the current output just a little bit.

Richard_severn

Newly Enlightened
The resistor shown above simply replaces the PWM mode board and forces the driver to the constant on position. The driver's stock setting is for 2.7A out, as measured by myself and a few other posters. If you want to go even lower, you would have to change the value of the stack of sense resistors at R3, viewable through the hole in the inductor. A higher resistance value would yield lower output, and lowering the value would yield higher output. I don't know what the value of each of the SMD sense resistors in the stack is, but if you were to desolder them, perhaps you could just remove the lowest valued one of the three to lower the current output just a little bit.

Thanks for the quick reply i will try it at 2.7A and see how hot it gets, i may be able to just use them with all modes :)

kenwood96

Newly Enlightened
I'm awaiting this driver right now, I have 4 xml's to put in a spotllight. Think it can drive 4 at once too?

I have a lot of high performance lipo cells to solder in any desired combination... A four cell 5000mah setup gives 16,8 V. should perform nicely or not?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only tested up to 3, but I don't see any reason it won't handle 4. Worst case, simply use 2 drivers and drive 2 leds each. Gotta warn you though, it's kind of buggy, and I know several cases where it has burnt leds. Since you are powering 40 something dollars worth of leds, you just may want to consider another driver option. Sounds like space won't be an issue.