Newbie LED dive/surface light help?

kubi

Newly Enlightened
As Gav said, the MC-E has a tighter beam angle. They both have 4 dies but they are smaller/closer together in the MC-E resulting in a tighter beam.

Otherwise, they are both about the same brightness. The P7 is over rated as driven in that regard.

Tighter beam does not mean "bigger lumen"...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tighter beam does not mean "bigger lumen"...

I understand that. My two comments were not related however.

The beam is tighter in the MC-E die than that of the P7.

The lumen output with appropriate bin and considering how they are driven is very similar.

In this case however the 670 lumen quoted is fairly accurate for this bin and how it is driven. The 900 lumen output is not accurate for the bin used and how it is driven.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn. If he only wanted to go about 50 feet, Ra Clicky 170 Executive with a narrow beam would do the trick!

I'm not familiar with that light. Does it use a reverse clicky? Why is it immune from water pressure turning the light off?

NumbDiver

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to thank you all. This is a great discussion for me. It's opening the door to more (or less) possibilities. I'm learning the what I read in much of the advertising is bunk; you get what you pay for; and there may be a light or two out there that my wallet and my sense of quality can agree with.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you've got the salient points but I would add that you don't even necessarily "get what you pay for".

I think it's more accurate to say that "you get what you get". :)

Cheap is sometimes cheaply made but throwing money at something isn't necessarily better.

There's a lot of well made and very overpriced and outdated technology out there.

Last edited:

COAST

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with that light. Does it use a reverse clicky? Why is it immune from water pressure turning the light off?

Only to ~65 feet it's immune to turning off..... It has a fwd clicky... It's tactical. Try executive if you want reverse and non-protruding. But tailstand it still not capable...

65 static

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only to ~65 feet it's immune to turning off..... It has a fwd clicky... It's tactical. Try executive if you want reverse and non-protruding. But tailstand it still not capable...

65 static

With a forward clicky it won't turn off. It will turn on and stay on however (with increasing water pressure).

If it's tested to 65 fsw static it's not going to work as a dive light. It would work it looks like in a swimming pool and to similar depths for limited periods of time. It's not a dive light however.

Klem

Enlightened
Depending on the configuration...

Here's a shot of an old torch build using a momentary starter switch with thick rubber boot. Took this diving to 20metres and it worked. I would say the shape and thickness of rubber resisted the pressure to that depth at least. Did not take it any deeper.

outside.jpg

I agree however...most torches with clickies will either be on for the entire dive for forward clickes, or not turn on as soon as pressure pushes in the switch for reverse.