Ni-Cd Batteries with shrink-wrapped tabs

jengland

Newly Enlightened
Are you supposed to remove the shrink wrapping from the tabs in order to connect these batteries? Does anyone have experience working with these kinds of batteries? I am rebuilding the battery pack for a cordless drill. Thank you for your help everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 85

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Are you supposed to remove the shrink wrapping from the tabs in order to connect these batteries? Does anyone have experience working with these kinds of batteries? I am rebuilding the battery pack for a cordless drill. Thank you for your help everyone!
The shrink wrap is there to protect against shorting out to something and can be removed if not needed as Nicad batteries can deliver very high currents which if shorted could be dangerous in some instances.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
After you remove shrink wraps, connect (spot weld or solder) tabs, make sure to cover all contact areas as LA mentioned with new shrink wrap or any electrical insulator.

jengland

Newly Enlightened
ok. got it. thank you very much for taking the time to provide guidance. i appreciate it.

Coulomb.

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you have some good answers. We like to call the insulating material "heat shrink." You can either gently slide it off (in many cases), or cut off all or a portion of it carefully with a razor knife. Try not to score the tab with the razor knife, since that can weaken it.