Nichia 219 4500K vs MCE 4500K??

the badger

Enlightened
I noticed today when ordering an Alpha Blue-Label that Jason has the Nichia 219 in 4500K as an option. I was unaware of this as I figured my only choices were the Cree XM-L and MC-E, respectably.

Does anybody know the difference between the two?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I can think of is a way better floody beam than the Nichia, and a better colour rendition with Nichia rather than the MCE.
but there certainly is more to the MCE than just beam, and flood certainly.

did you order the MCE 4500?.
if you still wish to change that , get in touch with him before he builds it.

i have the MCE 4500 ready made!.

...not really after more colour, rather a better floody beam and an LED which is highly rated indeed.

from Jason's site;

About the Cree MCE:

The MCE features 4 LED dies clustered onto one chip. This makes a very powerful light, but because of the large surface area, is best suited to "flood" applications. Generally speaking, the larger the emitter area, the "floodier" the beam.

The MCE is an older technology that the XML, but for a small hand-held light I think it's a superior LED. The XML is brighter, but it just can't beat the MCE for beam quaility and color accuracy. It also costs 3X as much as the XML and is one reason flashlight manufacurers are eagerly embracing the newer XML. I'd be happy to put that extra $10 in my pocket, but it just doesn't make a better flashlight.
http://darksucks.com/ledselection.html

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
for sure the MCE 4500k!. love it.
creamy cosy neutral.
good choice too Jason!.
the Nichia 219 maybe more rosy-ish, but output is much lower (unless it was a triple)
MCE all the way.

thanks.