Nite-Ize Conversion with Lithium batteries?

a_m

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the Nite-Ize LED conversion for 2AA Maglites is regulated? Can it handle the higher voltage lithium batteries?

Thanks,
Alex
(Sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm a newbie)

InfidelCastro

Banned
The higher the voltage of my AA's the brighter the Night-Ize gets in my experience with it. As far as I can tell it's just three 5mm LED's with some electronics attached to it, but I don't think it's regulated. I'm sure it would be brightest with fresh lithium AA's.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think it can take non-rechargeable Lithiums just fine though I haven't gone through an entire set yet. Looking at those runtime charts, it looks like if you want regulation, the Newbeam is the way to go. Sure the NiteIze starts off brighter, but after about a half hour, the Opalec is brighter and stays so for the next nine + hours and if you use the light often, it will probably pay for itself vs Lithium cells in about 5 battery changes.

Rumble

Newly Enlightened
Carrying this mod with Energizer lithiums right now. Seems to be fine and I've had it running up to an hour at one time. Didn't bother checking for brightness but it worked well. I think it's a great set up and losing a rig like this isn't too harsh on the wallet. Just be sure you plug the mod in the right way or it won't light up.

I did find the fit of the reflector to be a bit tight with some of them (I now have three of these).

Beats the crap out of the dinky stock bulb.

Burton

pizzaman

Enlightened
My nite-ize minimags are in my vehicles for map reading, etc. Both have lithium batteries. Both are functioning just fine.

TR