Nitecore 14500 - Won't Fit In 14500 Flashlights

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a small flood light. It works with AA Alk, NiMH, up to 14500. So I purchased a 14500 cell. Was excited when all the pieces came in, but when I went to put the cell in, the light wouldn't turn on. I thought it was because I didn't have it screwed in all the way. But it just wouldn't turn on. This light turns on when you tighten the head all the way....no switches. It felt weird at one point, turning the head. When I inspected the cell afterward,....the negative end of the cell was slightly dented in. I had put too much pressure...apparently. Turns out, this 14500 cell is a few mm longer than AA. Putting a NiMH in the light made it work.

So, I figured that THIS light wasn't one to accept the 14500 I have....so I purchased another light that only uses 14500. Got it in last night. Cell is too long for that one. The weird thing is that the light initially flashes when I start to screws the head on...but when I screw it down, it doesn't work. So now, I'm like "WTH?"

This cell is a 850mAh and is ~52mm in length. I ordered some flat top 49mm 14500 [also Nitecore]. Hopefully those will work. They probably won't work in the first floody light, but should on the new one.

So now I have to wonder what THIS 14500 is for. :-/

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always check cell length before you purchase. Protected cells will always be longer and some are just made bigger. Sorry you wasted your money for this specific application. : (

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
thermal guy, no, this doesn't have the mini-usb port.

bigburly912, I didn't know there could be such a difference. I do now.

As for what I can do with this cell,...I have no idea. Sometimes life be that way.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must ask what is this flood light you purchased?

My Nitecore IMR14500 fits the Lumentop Tool AA just as easily as Alkalines and NiMHs 👍

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I needed a decent protected, button-top 14500 that was as short as possible for several of my lights requiring a critically short length, I found these to be good and have been using them for 1-2 years. I'm not aware of anything in that category that's shorter. They tested well when new, and although I haven't re-tested them since, they've been very satisfactory in use. Note that they are actually labeled NL1475R. Amazingly (given their length), they also have integrated USB charging, which I don't necessarily need, but which can be handy at times - however they are still quite short (the reason I bought and use them).

I also use some of these, which are also fairly short, and although they will work in those lights, they are longer than the Nitecores, so I prefer using the Nitecores for the health of my battery springs.

Also note that there could be a defect in your light which causes the light to quit when pressure from the cell is increased, possibly resulting from a bad connections in the head / etc. As you didn't specify either the part number of the light or the cell in question, I can't really even speculate properly.

Last edited:

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
M@elstrom, it is the Lumintop EDC15. But this cell is also too long for the Maratac Compact Tri Flood.

aznsx, thank you for the suggestions. I wish I had seen them before I already purchased. I do have two of the following on the way:
1686604374697.png

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, out of curiosity, what is this 52mm 14500 made to be put into?