US Made Flashlights . . .

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which ones?

Fulton is US made in Ohio, Streamlight has some models made in PA, some newer MagLites are awesomeness and beat the mods to older Mags hands down and for less money, then there is Tektite in NJ, and some others I can't remember.
Ever see a Streamlight made in NJ?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Morristown or something one and didn't. Streamlight make some SF lights?
Streamlight was in Norristown, PA for decades. They were in Fairfield, NJ for a short time (months?) right when the company started in 1973.

I've heard rumors that Streamlight made bulb assemblies for SF but nothing on paper.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight was in Norristown, PA for decades. They were in Fairlawn, NJ for a short time (months?) right when the company started in 1973.

I've heard rumors that Streamlight made bulb assemblies for SF but nothing on paper.
PK told me they bought some bulbs from Streamlight when Carley couldn't supply them fast enough. Bulbs used in Scorpions.
Streamlight needed cash after the loss in court to Maglite and Dr John Matthews needed bulbs to fulfill a big contract. Win-win.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you run protected or unprotected cells in yours. I know they don't have LVP. Just curious what everyone is using. I have had some interest in them for some time now
One of the lesser known wonderful things about current Fraz lights is that you can use either! (as you know). I have no qualms about using unprotected because max brightness will disappear when the battery gets low. I am good about not leaving it after use on really low, and even when I did leave it on overnight early on, the loss is minimal, and I use them regularly so the high brightness loss will become evident. Since I am in a pattern with them, it is easy to charge them every couple weeks or more, without ending up below 3.6V.

(Our dog flashlights (Emisar, Zebralight) have state of charge indicators, and we like to charge them at about 3.8V but wife fairly regularly takes hers lower. Son? Forget it. He is relegated to NimH.)

That said, when starting this rewarding hobby, I had flashlights that were suited for protected batteries and I was OK with that. Then Zebralight started chasing smallness and requiring unprotected, and Emisar requires unprotected, so I ended up not really using the protected 18650's.

Now I can use those protected cells in the Fraz; Great!

It gets me that a reviewer wrote about Fraz, complaining that they do not have low voltage protection baked in. Ignorance. The beauty of Fraz is the simplicity and the flash-in-the-pan reviewer wants it to be more complicated to suit his beliefs and low functioning users. I mean, if you are using a Fraz, you will see when it can't be run on high. Charge it. Or you will remember your pattern of charging.

If you are forgetful, or stressed, and you take an unprotected cell to null. Oh well, spend $10 or whatever and get another battery. Then keep track of things. Fraz is simple. Fraz works. Don't expect it to be something it is not.

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the lesser known wonderful things about current Fraz lights is that you can use either! (as you know). I have no qualms about using unprotected because max brightness will disappear when the battery gets low. I am good about not leaving it after use on really low, and even when I did leave it on overnight early on, the loss is minimal, and I use them regularly so the high brightness loss will become evident. Since I am in a pattern with them, it is easy to charge them every couple weeks or more, without ending up below 3.6V.

(Our dog flashlights (Emisar, Zebralight) have state of charge indicators, and we like to charge them at about 3.8V but wife fairly regularly takes hers lower. Son? Forget it. He is relegated to NimH.)

That said, when starting this rewarding hobby, I had flashlights that were suited for protected batteries and I was OK with that. Then Zebralight started chasing smallness and requiring unprotected, and Emisar requires unprotected, so I ended up not really using the protected 18650's.

Now I can use those protected cells in the Fraz; Great!

It gets me that a reviewer wrote about Fraz, complaining that they do not have low voltage protection baked in. Ignorance. The beauty of Fraz is the simplicity and the flash-in-the-pan reviewer wants it to be more complicated to suit his beliefs and low functioning users. I mean, if you are using a Fraz, you will see when it can't be run on high. Charge it. Or you will remember your pattern of charging.

If you are forgetful, or stressed, and you take an unprotected cell to null. Oh well, spend $10 or whatever and get another battery. Then keep track of things. Fraz is simple. Fraz works. Don't expect it to be something it is not.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I run unprotected in everything. I understand what you mean when the light starts to dim it's time to change batteries. I run unprotected 10440s in Peak Eigers and have ran unprotected in Malkoff lights with no issues. Basically just be competent about it.

Buff

Enlightened
I thought some or all of Maratac lights were US made? Either way i have great experience with their lights. Great to see that there are a lot of American light companies. I should make a list and start checking them out.
I do notice my Maratac lights start a weird flashing sequence that i suppose is telling me its time to charge the battery?
Wurkkos has a green=good and red=time to charge warning light.

iacchus

Enlightened
I thought some or all of Maratac lights were US made? Either way i have great experience with their lights. Great to see that there are a lot of American light companies. I should make a list and start checking them out.
I do notice my Maratac lights start a weird flashing sequence that i suppose is telling me its time to charge the battery?
Maratac is just a trademark. Some of their lights have been made by Lumintop and Acebeam that I know of. I'm sure other manufacturers have worked w/ them as well.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maratac is Chinese AFAIK.

I'm working on an EU/IL/RU/JP/AU list, it is going to take another year since I buy these lights and import them somehow. Would be interested in an up to date USA manufacturer list.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a AAA Maratac for a long time and was gonna purchase because I was under the impression they were made in USA based off of countycomm info, until I researched some more and found they are Chinese. I'm sure they are still decent, but I can't bring myself to purchase Chinese crap, Zebralight is as far as I'll venture off. I'd rather save the money I'd spend on that and put it towards a small business USA made light

Buff

Enlightened
I try to support USA business first and allied countries 2nd why Taiwan made is a good choice.
That said i really like the few Wurkkos lights i have received recently as i type on my Apple Phone and am watching my 75 inch flatscreen TV?
I have looked into Monster Flashlights as an American company with i think domestically made flashlights but not exactly sure and they don't have a lot of choices. I did buy some batteries off their website.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new TV designed in NL and made in Hungary and another made in Britain. Before that I had two Elements made in the Carolinas.

Monster seems to be a scam company. I wanted one too instead try Tektite or Underwater Kinetics. Elzetta is great too.

Buff

Enlightened
I looked and even the Acebeams i bought from Maratac are China. I would be ok if American made lights were 10-15% more but usually they are double to triple the price. Just hard to wrap my head around that.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Streamlight was in Norristown, PA for decades. They were in Fairlawn, NJ for a short time (months?) right when the company started in 1973.

I had one of those. I remember Norristown. That was almost 40 years ago. It was a 2AA incan.