Nitecore EA4 (XM-L U2, 4xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bumble. Not to get off track here but I ordered the EA4 cone and M22 diffusers from Fasttech and tried putting in the cpf code and it didn't take.

EDIT: I just went on Fasttech to check and the CPF code is working now. Like I said, it wasn't working when I placed my order.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I'm finding with this light is that when you don't use it very frequently, it's easy to forget the UI.

It's really not intuitive to have different presses for ON and OFF (half press on, full press off). Every time I pick up my EA4 I have to be conscious of having to half-press to turn it on. Sometimes I forget to "half press" and instead do a "full press" that brings on turbo mode. That's not the real problem though... it's turning it off that bugs me. Instead of doing a full press, I often accidentally half-press which advances the mode. And then I'm not wanting to leave it in that mode, so I have to cycle back to the desired mode where I then do a full-press to turn it off. :rolleyes:

Anyway, they say that as you get older it's good to challenge the brain, not let things get too routine. So, maybe it's a good thing. ;)

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally received my EA4 from BatteryJunction today. WOW! What can I say? This thing is superbly built and feels so good in hand. I LOVE the side-switch button and as selfbuilt stated, it readily falls to hand as it is tacky and your finger goes directly to it.

I also really like the weight of this thing as it is a little heavy but has a very quality feel to it and as selfbuilt said, it should dissipate heat better.

It's so neat to not have a separate battery holder and instead you can insert the batteries into the battery channels built into the flashlight body. BIG plus for me!

Listen folks, I became a member of this great forum over 13 years ago, (original member #123), when we just discussed how to improve our Mag-Lite flashlights. I could never in my wildest dreams dream of a light this good, this bright and with the quality this light is built with. You guys are so spoiled!!! Good job Nitecore!

xevios,
I too hate complicated UI's. You should have seen the UI's of of just a few short years back. They were so convoluted, you almost had to have a degree in computer science just to operate them! I traded many lights from that time to one's with simpler UI's which were very rare at that time.

Back in the day, a light this quality built with this much brightness was non-existent. You could order a custom light with about 1/4 the lumens this one has for around $400.00-$700.00 dollars!

I hate to say this, but hooray for China for giving us lights that are so wonderful!!!

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gene,
Good to see you're happy with the EA4. :) I agree, it's so easy to get caught up with one improvement after another, but sometimes we have to sit back and take stock, realizing that the LED industry has made some amazing improvements in a fairly short time period.
I too hate complicated UI's. You should have seen the UI's of of just a few short years back. They were so convoluted, you almost had to have a degree in computer science just to operate them! I traded many lights from that time to one's with simpler UI's which were very rare at that time.
Tell me about it! I was fortunate to have bought a Liteflux LF5XT when they were available and while I liked the form factor and the option for programming, the UI for programming was so complicated! I was able to memorize the NovaTac UI, but couldn't get it down on the Liteflux. I had to let the light go (and thankfully they became a near cult product and appreciated). So yeah, while it's hard not to nitpick on the ON/OFF differences for the EA4, it's still a great light. Super bright for just 4AA cells in a short form factor. To me, it's a must-have in any flashlight collection.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for your comments Gene, very thoughtful. It does help put the rather rapid progress of LED lights into perspective.

And a very good point about the complicated UIs. Like xevious, I was thinking of the Novatac and Liteflux lights (and to a lesser extent, the original JetBeam IBS interface) - all of which have/had a very pronounced following here. People liked the versatility and programmability of those lights, and general operation - thought not necessarily intuitive - was at least fairly staightforward (once programmed).

But that's really the key difference - if you wanted to reprogram those lights, you probably need to refer back to manual or a convenient flow-chart (since you were unlikely to recall all the details after a few days/weeks/months). While the EA4 is somewhat more complex than a simple single-pressure switch, you can easily work out all the modes again by simply playing with the light for a few minutes (regardless of how much time has passed since you last used it). That does speak to increased user-friendliness for the regular user (although I warrant greater programmability will always be desirable to some flashaholics).

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your comments Gene, very thoughtful. It does help put the rather rapid progress of LED lights into perspective.

And a very good point about the complicated UIs. Like xevious, I was thinking of the Novatac and Liteflux lights (and to a lesser extent, the original JetBeam IBS interface) - all of which have/had a very pronounced following here. People liked the versatility and programmability of those lights, and general operation - thought not necessarily intuitive - was at least fairly staightforward (once programmed).

But that's really the key difference - if you wanted to reprogram those lights, you probably need to refer back to manual or a convenient flow-chart (since you were unlikely to recall all the details after a few days/weeks/months). While the EA4 is somewhat more complex than a simple single-pressure switch, you can easily work out all the modes again by simply playing with the light for a few minutes (regardless of how much time has passed since you last used it). That does speak to increased user-friendliness for the regular user (although I warrant greater programmability will always be desirable to some flashaholics).

Thanks selfbuilt and thank you as always for your expertise with your reviews. You are dead on about those lights. The only problem I have with with the EA4 is it's hard to remember how to get to turbo mode and flashing modes.

Hey Gene,
Good to see you're happy with the EA4. :) I agree, it's so easy to get caught up with one improvement after another, but sometimes we have to sit back and take stock, realizing that the LED industry has made some amazing improvements in a fairly short time period.

Tell me about it! I was fortunate to have bought a Liteflux LF5XT when they were available and while I liked the form factor and the option for programming, the UI for programming was so complicated! I was able to memorize the NovaTac UI, but couldn't get it down on the Liteflux. I had to let the light go (and thankfully they became a near cult product and appreciated). So yeah, while it's hard not to nitpick on the ON/OFF differences for the EA4, it's still a great light. Super bright for just 4AA cells in a short form factor. To me, it's a must-have in any flashlight collection.

I agree and this light is so good, I might order another! By the way, why would anyone purchase the EA8 which is considerably larger and has only a smidgen more lumens? I know it has longer battery life but that doesn't matter that much when using rechargeable cells.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I agree and this light is so good, I might order another! By the way, why would anyone purchase the EA8 witch is considerably larger, considerably larger and has only a smidgen more lumens? I know it has longer battery life but that doesn't matter that much when using rechargeable cells.
Yes, the EA4 is in rather a sweet spot. The EA8 may appeal to those who want max throw on AA cells, but I personally find the EA4 throwy enough for general use. And for those looking for greater output, the Eagletac SX25A6 is a nice light. Still waiting on the GX25A3, to see how that compares to the EA4.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene said:
By the way, why would anyone purchase the EA8 which is considerably larger and has only a smidgen more lumens? I know it has longer battery life but that doesn't matter that much when using rechargeable cells.
You do get more throw with the EA8, but you also get a full size flashlight too, a form factor that may be preferable for some. But I'm with you, in that the output is so comparable and the EA4 runtime is fine enough.... I'm perfectly happy to carry an extra pack of 4xAA if longer runtime is needed on the go.

I wonder how the GX25A3 will turn out, too. The new model release pace is still going strong. I'd thought about getting another EA4 too (the EA4W), but one is enough for me given what's coming down the pike in short order. ;)

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Okay... so the other day, I sent selfbuilt a PM asking about the run-time for the EA4 in beacon mode. I wanted to know If I went hiking, would I be able to leave this light in my car and know it was still running 3 days later when I returned so I could actually find my vehicle. The problem I had already started my test on Monday and it was still running so I was hoping for a quick answer.

However, for technical reasons (beyond my understanding) this test has not been "officially" done so he asked that I post my results here once I got an "answer"... The short answer is about 124 hours is what I got. Some details worth mentioning are that I used 4 freshly topped off Eneloops and kept the light with me everywhere I went (including being left in my car during the day at points)... but I also probably should mention that I had used the light on turbo mode for about 45 seconds at one point during the test. So by far not the best test by any means but it I do believe that is a good estimate.

Hope someone else finds this info useful as well...

cheers

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the EA4 is in rather a sweet spot. The EA8 may appeal to those who want max throw on AA cells, but I personally find the EA4 throwy enough for general use. And for those looking for greater output, the Eagletac SX25A6 is a nice light. Still waiting on the GX25A3, to see how that compares to the EA4.

You do get more throw with the EA8, but you also get a full size flashlight too, a form factor that may be preferable for some. But I'm with you, in that the output is so comparable and the EA4 runtime is fine enough.... I'm perfectly happy to carry an extra pack of 4xAA if longer runtime is needed on the go.

I wonder how the GX25A3 will turn out, too. The new model release pace is still going strong. I'd thought about getting another EA4 too (the EA4W), but one is enough for me given what's coming down the pike in short order. ;)

I agree that the EA8 might be more of an attractive alternative to some folks because of it's full size but 8 AA's are too much for me and like you say selfbuilt, my EA4 has plenty of throw for me.

Man, you two are right about the EagleTach GX25A3 looking interesting! Smaller form factor than the EA4, only three AA's and greater output. Looking forward to your review selfbuilt!

Like you xevious I was thinking about picking up a second EA4 so I could have one in both of our cars but that GX25A3 is looking good!

P.S. Upon checking into the GX25A3, it looks like it's almost DOUBLE the price I can get the EA4 for. That's too much of a price difference for me!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Gene, yes, as for cost, the EA4 is quite economical for this class.

The short answer is about 124 hours is what I got. Some details worth mentioning are that I used 4 freshly topped off Eneloops and kept the light with me everywhere I went (including being left in my car during the day at points)... but I also probably should mention that I had used the light on turbo mode for about 45 seconds at one point during the test. So by far not the best test by any means but it I do believe that is a good estimate.
Good to know, thanks for sharing! :)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. Upon checking into the GX25A3, it looks like it's almost DOUBLE the price I can get the EA4 for. That's too much of a price difference for me!
Yikes, I didn't know that. Bummer. With the EA4 being out-positioned in just a few more months, I'll bet anything we'll see the price for them come down a little more. Given how popular this light has become, even better deals on used but great condition ones will probably surface in about 9~16 months.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've just ordered the NFD filter, and I'll test it myself to see how it compares to the Olight version. Remind me a few weeks if I forget to update this thread. :whistle:
My NFD40 diffuser arrived today. My first impressions support what has already been mentioned in this thread. It significantly diffuses the light - moreso than the Olight M22 diffuser (which also fits on the EA4 fine). Subjectively, NFD40 seems to reduce the output to a greater extent (but it's hard to compare visually, since it also diffuses the hotspot to a wider extent). I will do some ceiling bounce measures tomorrow and report back.

The fit is good, but I can see that the NFD40 diffuser disc can indeed pop out fairly easily from the rubber holder. There is less material holding it in place. I'll take some pics and post tomorrow as well.
:wave:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upon checking into the GX25A3, it looks like it's almost DOUBLE the price I can get the EA4 for.

The Nitecore EA4 is retail $83.95 amazon BJ IG but with big markdowns

The Eagletac GX25 is $94.90 amazon LJ

The EA4 is a budget light and
someplaces have a giant discount, we know.

The GX25 is a professional class light and
will not ever receive such a big discount.

It's like getting a big discount on a Hyundai,
but you're not gonna get the same discount on a Ferrari.

Indeed the EA4 has a really good value to it.

Last edited:

Bike Rider

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

This just confirms I've made the right choice, hoping it lands by the end of the week. Paid $84AUD for mine (includes P+P).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ok, as promised, I have done some additional beamshot comparisons with two different diffuser covers that fit the 40mm opening of the EA4 - the Nitecore NFD40 and Olight M22-X diffuser.

As you will see below, the NFD40 diffuses the beam to a greater extent than the M22-X diffuser. But it doesn't actually cut the overall light output by as much as it initially appears.

EA4037.jpg

EA4036.jpg

EA4039.jpg

EA4042.jpg

EA4040.jpg

EA4041.jpg

I find the Olight M22 filter to be a better fit, as it is very snug on the light and has a lower profile than the NFD40. As others have reported, the diffuser lens can also pop out of the NFD40 more easily, given the design of the rubber holder (i.e., doesn't hold it as securely).

Here is a comparison of the EA4 beam with the two different diffuser covers. The light is on Hi (not Turbo), about 3/4 of a meter back from a white wall.

EA4-Hi-Beam001.jpg

EA4-Hi-M22Diff-Beam001.jpg

EA4-Hi-NFD40iff-Beam001.jpg

EA4-Hi-Beam002.jpg

EA4-Hi-M22Diff-Beam002.jpg

EA4-Hi-NFD40iff-Beam002.jpg

EA4-Hi-Beam003.jpg

EA4-Hi-M22Diff-Beam003.jpg

EA4-Hi-NFD40iff-Beam003.jpg

As you can see, the Nitecore NFD40 diffuses the light to a greater extent than the Olight M22-X diffuser (i.e., the hotspot is further reduced with the NFD40 filter). I also find this filter "warms" up the beam tint slightly (compared to the M22 filter, which didn't seem to have much effect on tint). Always hard to tell from camera shots with automatic white balance turned on, but I find the beamshots above capture pretty well what I see by eye (at least on my monitor).

I have measured output by ceiling bounce, and the Olight M22-X filter reduces overall output by ~16%, compared to ~18% for the Nitecore NFD40. So while it looks in the beamshots like the NFD40 cuts the light output to a much greater extent, this is mainly a subjective effect of the greater diffusion.

At the end of the day, I would suggest you choose between the filers based on your preference for degree of diffusion and fit. :wave:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice work as always selfbuilt! I was so let down by the Nitecore filter that I actually threw it away! I didn't like the construction or the effect it produced.

On the other hand, I use the Olight filter most of the time on this light. After a while it become a little loose; not to the point of falling off but just too easily removed when in a pocket or rubbing against something. I put a small piece of electrical tape on the inside of the filter on opposing sides for an even better fit.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Nice work as always selfbuilt! I was so let down by the Nitecore filter that I actually threw it away! I didn't like the construction or the effect it produced.
The effect is definitely quite distinct - the Nitecore diffuser provides much greater diffusion than the Olight filter, and seems to "neutralize" the tint somewhat. I was surprised by the ceiling bounce results though - it doesn't actually reduce light output that much more. It must the subjective effect of the more diffuse hostpot that makes it seem that way.

As for the fit, I find the secret to preventing accidental displacement of the frosted lens is to make sure you always grip it with one finger where the lanyard attachment is located. Due to the construction, if you grip it perpendicular to the lanyard attachment point, the pinching movement of your fingers can "pop" the lens right out. Annoying to be sure, but at least it can be avoided with consistent pressure placement.

TobyZiegler

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the outstanding information. I am quite happy with the Nitecore diffuser. I use it with the EA4 on my bike, when cycling in the forest or on
difficult terrain (many curves, bushes, trees). It gives a very good overall beam for nearby vicinity.
But even in 65 Lumen mode this blinds all other traffic coming the opposite way, so careful usage is important :huh:

holylight

Enlightened
Okay... so the other day, I sent selfbuilt a PM asking about the run-time for the EA4 in beacon mode. I wanted to know If I went hiking, would I be able to leave this light in my car and know it was still running 3 days later when I returned so I could actually find my vehicle. The problem I had already started my test on Monday and it was still running so I was hoping for a quick answer.

However, for technical reasons (beyond my understanding) this test has not been "officially" done so he asked that I post my results here once I got an "answer"... The short answer is about 124 hours is what I got. Some details worth mentioning are that I used 4 freshly topped off Eneloops and kept the light with me everywhere I went (including being left in my car during the day at points)... but I also probably should mention that I had used the light on turbo mode for about 45 seconds at one point during the test. So by far not the best test by any means but it I do believe that is a good estimate.

Hope someone else finds this info useful as well...

cheers

Thanks for the test. The test lasted 124hrs or did the light stop after 124hrs.

Last edited: