Nitecore Explorer (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2) Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. And they are so small despite the deep reflector. I'm just too curious how a direct driven XM-L2 would throw in this kind of set up compared to the XM-L /XM-L2 offerings with shallow op reflectors.

As you say they are small. They get hot using an XPG and not driven hard. Put in an XML2 and drive it hard the light is gonna get really hot really fast. What you might want to look at if you haven't yet, is the Eagletac TX25C2 and the Nitecore EC25.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wouldn't mind a XM-L2 in a deep reflector like that, either.

It would take away the unique qualities of the beam in this light. It's one of the few really great throwers that we have with this aperture.

Aperture
Can somebody please confirm that the EC2 voltmeter is able to read up to 4.2 Volts?

My EC2 and EA1 only read up to 4.1V with cells hot of the charger. Not perfect but good enough be very helpful.

dajabec

Newly Enlightened
About the voltage meter, it reads the voltage under load (it turns on high for a second before blinking for this reason) so it will never read 4.2. That is the resting voltage. If it is 3.9 or more the batery is pretty full. 3.8 it's getting low and time to charge, it goes down quickly from there. I have edc this for months and those are my unscientific observations.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened

I read this post tonight.. AGAIN and made me want to try the little beast outside AGAIN using my NEW camcorder!! OH GOSH, this is a BEAST!!! Can anyone tell me this is NOT a good flashlight? oh.. probably no one here, haha! It's worth the bucks!

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
I read this post tonight.. AGAIN and made me want to try the little beast outside AGAIN using my NEW camcorder!! OH GOSH, this is a BEAST!!! Can anyone tell me this is NOT a good flashlight? oh.. probably no one here, haha! It's worth the bucks!

I agree. This light has so much potential that's why I wish it would come in more "flavours" or at least in a design which allows easy modding (without a press fit bezel).

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
I agree. This light has so much potential that's why I wish it would come in more "flavours" or at least in a design which allows easy modding (without a press fit bezel).

Haha~ a good light is good by itself, no need for too much mod! The best thing about the light is not only size, but the voltage indicator thingy that is not found in the 4sevens small dudes too, love it!

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
Haha~ a good light is good by itself, no need for too much mod! The best thing about the light is not only size, but the voltage indicator thingy that is not found in the 4sevens small dudes too, love it!

Well, my LED is way off center and the tint is too cool for me. So I would appreciate a screw-on bezel for easy LED swapping.

Lightman2

Enlightened
A fan of throw lights and ones with side switches would be hard to depart from my little SC51 which I have come to love and is my night/house EDC. Have spent about two hours reading all the great feedback and of course Selfbuilts review and whilst really keen on the EA1 wonder if I would be making a premature buy given the issues with the red LED and some other regular QC issues. Have been thinking about a SC52 for some months and even though it is not a throw light I am a Zebra convertee. Toss up between the EA1 and SC52 but as it stands with the reviews the SC52 looks like it will win out as much as I am interested in the features and throw of the Nitecore.

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
I got my EC1 in a week and a half from FastTech...this is a really nice little thrower for such a compact package. The beam is very cool and the clip is all-powerful. It will NOT fall off a ball cap!

Lintush

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a EA2 flashlight. Great interface and size indeed. Great amount of light from small form factor. But I am having problem inserting Sanyo Eneloop AA battery but Alkaline battery is fitting all right. I bought Sanyo Eneloop for the flashlight and now I cant insert them. Any suggestion how I can use them?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have bought a EA2 flashlight. Great interface and size indeed. Great amount of light from small form factor. But I am having problem inserting Sanyo Eneloop AA battery but Alkaline battery is fitting all right. I bought Sanyo Eneloop for the flashlight and now I cant insert them. Any suggestion how I can use them?
It seems that the tolerances of some of the EA1/EA2 battery tubes don't allow for all NiMH cells. Not sure if there's much that can be done - boring the tube wider would be tedious, and any sort of lubricant could migrate to contact surfaces. Unfortunately, I'm afraid a return (or living without NiMH) seems to be most practical response for these individual samples. Anyone have any further suggestions?

holylight

Enlightened
Nitecore Explorer (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2) Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VI

Remove the wrapper of the battery is a simple solution!

Swede74

Enlightened
Alkaline battery is fitting all right. I bought Sanyo Eneloop for the flashlight and now I cant insert them. Any suggestion how I can use them?

There isn't by any chance a sticker inside the battery tube, maybe one that shows proper battery orientation or says "Passed QC" or something similar? When I got my Led Lenser A5 it would easily accommodate alkalines, but not NiMH. I found a sticker inside the battery tube, and even though it was very thin, once removed I could insert NiMH cells without a problem. It's a long-shot, but I thought I should mention it.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt I just looket at SC600 Mk II review and I saw that there is different lux/1m number for EC2:
SC600II-FL1-Summary.gif

7900lux/1m is a nice number but here's the chart from this thread:

Which number is correct?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt I just looket at SC600 Mk II review and I saw that there is different lux/1m number for EC2
Which number is correct?
As explained in the method section of the newer reviews (immediately preceding these tables), the orange highlights refer to the newer results using a NIST-certified lux meter. All my reviews now feature these more accurate results, but I couldn't go back and edit all my older reviews. I recommend you stick with the newer numbers.

slab288

Newly Enlightened
hi am I correct in thinking that the voltage indicator will still work correctly when using the14500 batteries in the EA1 Thanks slab288