NiteCore Extreme Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, etc.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I really want this clip but am not so good with power tools. Do I need special screws? Also is countersinking neccessary to have a high quality installation?

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want this clip but am not so good with power tools. Do I need special screws? Also is countersinking neccessary to have a high quality installation?

pobox1475,

No powertools necessary, unless you want the countersunk screws. The dimensions between the holes on the clip match the NEX screw locations. So, you just need to reuse the screws that came with the NEX.

I just recently purchased the low rider stealth and installed just using existing screws and hex wrench.

img3445medium.jpg

Good luck!

Matt7337

Enlightened
D-MiniEXNEX02.jpg

the left one is with original boot, the other two have an elevated ring and boot (non-original)
TrioNitecoreExtremeTback.jpg

Fareast, your NEXs are awesome! I've had mine for a while now and it has become my favourite EDC, and for this reason, I'd like to install some tritium vials like you have on yours. Could you share some details (or a link to the thread if you already have) on how you fitted yours? It looks great, although I'm not a fan of green trit unless it's on a weapon sight ;) Thanks!

fareast

Enlightened
Fareast, your NEXs are awesome! I've had mine for a while now and it has become my favourite EDC, and for this reason, I'd like to install some tritium vials like you have on yours. Could you share some details (or a link to the thread if you already have) on how you fitted yours? It looks great, although I'm not a fan of green trit unless it's on a weapon sight ;) Thanks!

Thanks! I still use one of them every day still, I like them that much even though it isn't the smallest solution for a keyring... Since every now and then I get request like yours so I copied and pasted some text from a PM:

I bought the tritium via B@rt's Tritium Thread (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=194646) and the size 1.55mm x 5mm are truly a perfect fit (others sell them in different sizes).

I used Pritt Poster Buddies (http://www.prittworld.com/be-d/produ...r-buddies.html)
Putting two and two together:
I got a small piece of Pritt buddies and laid a vial on it and just started rolling it and totally covering it. Then I used a pair of tweezers to put it on top of the hole on the batt tube. Using the tweezers' flat part I carefully push it down the tiny hole. This makes the Pritt buddies ooze out then I push it in fully and I use a separate piece of buddie to take away the oozed out excess buddie. It sticks better to each other then to anything else.

This pritt stuff is pliable but will harden over time but it will never fully harden. The one on my keychain has already seen it's fair share of abuse (fallen several times on concrete, street, tiles, taken showers etc.) and it still sits as I put it in. HOWEVER, if you push on it, it wll come out. In a way, this stuff, due to it's pliability, is also a tiny shock-breaker. I just have to be "careful" to not unintentionally push on the vials...

Others use Norland 61, which can be hard to get but search the forums. This stuff dries with UV and remains crystal clear and very hard. Then come the epoxies which will "yellow" over time.

All the best!

Add.
Some time has passed since the tritium install and the solution with the Pritt buddies seem to be just about perfect (well in case of these NEX's with them six holes...). The vials have never moved since and it keeps surviving all drops on everything. This i.e. in contrast to my Wee's Tritium which have been glued down using Norland 61 and two have broken already (no keychain duty) since there's no shock absorption from the adhesive.

Last edited:

fareast

Enlightened
another tip for NEX users;

If you have trouble or worries about pulling the light from your pocket since the clip is a good tight fit, add a thick o-ring to the battery tube. Look at the pic above for the location.

shadow77phl

Newly Enlightened
lots of input i've read from this thread! thank you gentlemen! waiting for mine to arrive!:twothumbs

shadow77phl

Newly Enlightened
It seems a waste to not be taking advantage of the low modes of the NEX. Your issue is most likely switching speed - you need to tighten/loosen quickly from user defined mode to get it to ramp. This can be a bit tricky at first (due to the thick o-ring installed), but once you get the hand of it you shouldn't have a problem. Same thing if you are having problems getting out of strobe mode - the switch from loosen/tighten needs to be done quickly to get back to Max mode. Good luck!

Dang, i had to read this thrice to get mine working, i tightened and loosed quickly from the standard mode; thank you sir! sorry, newbie here that's why it took me thrice to figure it out!:twothumbs Got my NEX yesterday but just fiddled around tonight.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Dang, i had to read this thrice to get mine working, i tightened and loosed quickly from the standard mode; thank you sir! sorry, newbie here that's why it took me thrice to figure it out!:twothumbs Got my NEX yesterday but just fiddled around tonight.
Glad it helped.

Many lights can be a bit tricky to get the timings right (for switch cycles, half-presses, presses-and-holds, etc.). But once you get the knack for it, "muscle memory" seems to kick in and you should haven't further problems.

As an aside, I must say this light seems to have a lot of staying power, given that this review is over 2 years old. :eek:oo: At >72K views, this has to be one of my most popular stand-alone reviews.

ashe18c

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Extreme problem with color mismatching

Hey guys, anyone of you guys have a Nitecore Extreme with the bezel not matching the color of the head and with the body too? I have hundreds of lights, and usually buy more than one if i like em a lot. I got an extreme and was amazed of the throw from its small size and how its and r2, but can out-throw most of my one cell r5's, except my lego'd 4sevens turbo. So I got another, but this one was labeled as "black" instead of the "dark gray" i got previously. I got the second one last week, and the lens was cracked and the color was exactly the same as the dark gray one, so i sent it back and exchanged it. When i got it back again, i was soo disappointed, even more so than the first with the cracked lens. Not only is the body the exactly same color as the dark gray one, but the bezel was a lot darker, and doesnt match with the head either. I will try to post some picture of the two later. Anyone else has this problem with the extreme? Im at work typing this and freaking out. Thanks in advance. Been reading here for a couple years, but kept having problems creating an account.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore Extreme problem with color mismatching

ashe18c, let me see about merging your thread with the existing Nitecore Extreme Review thread. While the excellent photos in Post #1 demonstrate good color matching, a discussion of anodizing mismatches seems to begin here in this post. It would probably be better to have this conversation there ...

Also, if you were to post pics of your light, that would be helpful regarding the degree of severity and would probably generate more feedback. FWIW, HA mismatches seem to occur rather frequently in some HA light models.

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore Extreme problem with color mismatching

Hey guys, anyone of you guys have a Nitecore Extreme with the bezel not matching the color of the head and with the body too? I have hundreds of lights, and usually buy more than one if i like em a lot. I got an extreme and was amazed of the throw from its small size and how its and r2, but can out-throw most of my one cell r5's, except my lego'd 4sevens turbo. So I got another, but this one was labeled as "black" instead of the "dark gray" i got previously. I got the second one last week, and the lens was cracked and the color was exactly the same as the dark gray one, so i sent it back and exchanged it. When i got it back again, i was soo disappointed, even more so than the first with the cracked lens. Not only is the body the exactly same color as the dark gray one, but the bezel was a lot darker, and doesnt match with the head either. I will try to post some picture of the two later. Anyone else has this problem with the extreme? Im at work typing this and freaking out. Thanks in advance. Been reading here for a couple years, but kept having problems creating an account.

Sounds like you've had a horrible experience with your second NEX :(

I have one of the dark grey ones and much prefer this colour to any of my other black HA lights. I have heard of colour mismatches on the heads of other brands of lights, but I thought that Nitecore had a pretty good reputation for making sure that this doesn't occur on any of their lights. The colour match on the head and body of all my Nitecore lights is perfect... I suggest you send this back again and make sure to ask them to check the light for all the things you have found wrong with the previous ones before they send the replacement out to you. Please let us know the outcome of this, as I also want to get another NEX at some point in the future, another dark grey one with the R2 emitter hopefully.

Last edited:

ashe18c

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for your suggestion. Id do that, but i already asked them to check the color because they already sent me one that was off color, but just my luck this one is even worse. All my other nitecore is perfect too. I heard of some color differences in the d10, but my tribute is perfect, and so is the new d11 i got. I am indeed shocked, because in my opinion, nitecore is definitely more on point in quality control than other manufacturers. I guess if the color isnt flat black, then there is always a chance of mixing parts of different batches and then come out different. The color of the beam is also different, more of a warmer tint than the usual bluish. Thats not a problem as most of us prefer a warmer/neutral tint. Thanks for your help. I may just cover the engravings and paint it myself at this point. I see all the black ones in pictures online and makes me soo jealous. Ill buy yet another one if i can confirm that it is true black. I even asked lightjuction if the extreme they have is black or dark gray, and they can only tell me its darker than the ife1. So still not sure. For the record, lightjuction has an amazing customer service, its too bad I didnt get either extreme from them, otherwise they wouldnt have a problem helping me through this.

TITANER

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you selfbuilt,good job:thumbsup:.I have seen your other reviews,all of them are excellent:thumbsup:.

Kletsou

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
My NiteCore Extreme was stolen :(

Any suggestions for a replacement?
What I liked was:
1) throw, distance and brightness
2) Clip
3) Runtime
4) Durability
Al these made is a good EDC option.

In the mean time I am using my Sunwayman V10 as a EDC but oh the clip on it.... I've lost a V10 because of the clip and have lost two clips on the current V10...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My NiteCore Extreme was stolen :( ... In the mean time I am using my Sunwayman V10 as a EDC but oh the clip on it.... I've lost a V10 because of the clip and have lost two clips on the current V10...
That's a bummer. It was a good throwy light, thanks to the old XR-E emitter. Also had a solid built.

In the interim, something like the V11R may suit you better, due to the strong clip (a weakness on the V10R). But it will not match the relative throwy beam of the old Extreme. For that, you are likely going to have to look at XP-G, XP-G2 or XP-E lights. Something like the Foursevens QTLC (with XP-G2 especially) should match the relative throw. There's also the Nitecore MT1C (XP-G) and EC1 (XP-G) that both throw well (all are defined level lights, though).

You would be hard pressed to find anything of comparable build size, as most makers have opted for more petite 1xCR123A/RCR lights of late Maybe another Extreme (used?), or something larger like a HDS/Ra?

Kletsou

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Selfbuilt!

Just proof that change is not always a good thing....:(

The extreme is just a nice overall package. I do have 6-7 RC123 lights but each has its own little special features and the extreme was just a nice, no nonsense type of throwy light.:eek:

I don't have a HDS yet so maybe this is a sign..... :sssh: