NiteCore Golden Dragon Plus D10 & EX10 Reviews: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, etc.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I'm the same jdong you're referring to :). As far as the whine, I think it is an age-dependent thing. I can hear it, but it isn't prohibitively irritating. I've also been told I'm really sensitive to high-pitched noises. I can hear the smoke alarm in my room taking 5-second samples. My head nearly exploded after working all summer on 640V hybrid auto powertrains that used 15kHz PWM switching. Of course, the classic example, as soon as I walk into the house I can hear my dad left the TV on upstairs in the bedroom.

Interestingly, for me the whine is also like a battery level indicator. The intensity and pitch of the whine appears to change as the battery reaches its last 30min or so of 100% level runtime.

Oh well. :) Oops.

I agree about the age. Seems to be almost 100% true.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
An update on the subject of inductor whine:

I recently bought a second D10-GDP as a gift, and it is completely silent at max on all batteries. In fact, I can only detect the slightest of whines at some of the lower settings.

As always, you should expect some variability with inductor whine on all lights. :)

Edwood

Enlightened
What is the Maximum output Current for the EX10 GD+ light engine?

-Ed

hatman

Enlightened
What a fascinating thread. I found it while researching single-cell lights with clips (I'm looking for another pocket EDC; I'm already a happy owner of a D10R2.)

On the 4Sevens site, it seems like it is the R2 that is often in short supply. That was the case when I ordered mine a few months ago.

Question: How many of us are continuing to buy the GDP version?
If you were to buy another D10, which model would it be this time?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a fascinating thread. I found it while researching single-cell lights with clips (I'm looking for another pocket EDC; I'm already a happy owner of a D10R2.)

On the 4Sevens site, it seems like it is the R2 that is often in short supply. That was the case when I ordered mine a few months ago.

Question: How many of us are continuing to buy the GDP version?
If you were to buy another D10, which model would it be this time?

Well I have the GDP. I like it just fine. But it is known these do not have the same brightness output as the Q5. And they seem to have less run time and get hotter. In exchange you get a warmer smoother beam.

That said I would hands down go with the R-2 model. Because of the extra lumen output...if for no other reason.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Well I do have the GDP version, I would buy another but only to mod it with a warm white led. So I would probably get the Q5 version.
I really wish they would amake a 18650. For few reasons, the d10 is a little slim, I think the ex10 would be a little short. Also added capacity of the 18650.

hatman

Enlightened
Well I do have the GDP version, I would buy another but only to mod it with a warm white led. So I would probably get the Q5 version.
I really wish they would amake a 18650. For few reasons, the d10 is a little slim, I think the ex10 would be a little short. Also added capacity of the 18650.

What about an Extreme or an NDI for size?