Nitecore MH10, MH12, MH20 (XM-L2 1x18650/2xCR123A) in-light charging review: RUNTIME+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The voltage indication in the MH20 does work when the battery is first inserted indicating the proper 3.1V (three flashes followed by one flash). But the only indication of low battery when using the light is that it would turn on in moonlight or low and couldn't ramp up to any of the higher levels. Bummer, but it looks like Nitecore did not include the useful blue button low battery warning flash in the MH20! I also checked the instruction manual and it didn't say anything about this feature.
The MH20 does not have this function.
Yes, it seems the MH20 is different from the MH10/MH12 - the low-voltage warning feature is not implemented on the MH20. I've updated the UI section of the review to note this.

lbc17228

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed review. I was leaning towards an Olight flashlight but after reading this review I thinking of a Nitecore. Decisions? I guess this is the reason I joined this forum.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Has anybody found a diffuser that fits the MH20?
It is an unusual size. If you follow the DIY diffuser section of my 4xAA round-up review, you'll see I discuss using Butler Creek Blizzard flip-open scope covers (with your own diffusing material). Model #2 fits on the MH20, although it does slightly obstruct the power button. You would also need to use a few layers of electrical tape on the inside of the cover to get it to fit snug.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
now its December and NC is slowly rolling out XP-l HI versions of some of their lights. I had swore off more lights for at least a few more months but should they roll out an MH20GT I just wont be able to help myself. I did not know the 20 did not have a low voltage warning until I read this review. I find it quite odd that NC design would leave out such an expected feature. At least I can unscrew the tube a bit screw it back in and get a voltage read out....

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to say I bought this light and it is my favorite EDC. I am not a flashaholic like most of you are.... I own 8 lights, mostly cheap ones, but some nice 2800 lumen expensive ones too. Bottom line is, this thing is absolutely terrific. it is very bright, easily pocketable, and has a nice hotspot with plenty spill. I actually DO like the single button interface. My only complain is that the side button can be hard to find in the dark, and can be confused by the (awesome) USB charger rubber cover.

Definitely a GREAT light!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore MH10, MH12, MH20 (XM-L2 1x18650/2xCR123A) in-light charging review: ...

Nitecore specs are not usually so far off ... but the MH20 "50 lumen" mode was a bit of puzzler (at least on my sample). And as always, the caveat is that I am only testing n=1 sample, and it is hard to know if its representational (although it sounds in this case like it is). :shrug:

Selfbuilt,

This may seem a bit* presumptuous, but do you see any way to use your influence to encourage Nitecore to lower that "50L" to achieve greater run time?

Brightnorm

*Maybe more than a "bit"!
icon7.gif

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore MH10, MH12, MH20 (XM-L2 1x18650/2xCR123A) in-light charging review: ...

NC seems to have gotten wise and started paying attention to the light forums. I never expected NC to start rolling out a good thermal regulation system in anything let alone very well done designs with great heat sinking like the MH20. Selfbuilts rep across the forums is stellar and NC should be aware of it. NC turned an incredible corner in 2015 something I never thought theyd do. Now for that SRT line revamp...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

am awaiting a MH20GT. NC seems to be stuffing XP-L HI into anything they can lately. As for the SRT's my assumption is that NC sells them as fast as they can make them so why change anything? The MH27 seems very much an attempt at a revamp HI SRT7 just without the smart ring. Have the 27, good light all its missing is the smart ring. The 27 devours my new 3500mah cells for some reason. MH20 has a clean profile. 27 is full of smeary artifacts from the 3 wells for the RGB's more so than the SRT7 which I find odd.

Am surprised at the XP-L HI EA45S 4xAA. Same reflector size as the EA41 why not just revamp the EA41? Still if NC revamps the SRT line right Ill be first in line. MH20 and P12GT are both almost always on me unless I really need serious flood or some serious throw.

wiro-sableng

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I'm looking for my first decent EDC light, it will be used for general purpose and sometimes outdoor (hiking, tracking).
MH 12 seems fit well for it and i have a seller in my country that sell this one with a good price.

The site on MH12 said beam color is : Neutral white, White light
Does this mean it has 2 different version or it's mean same?

What Kelvin is this light run?
If it has 2 version, which version do you think more suited for general and outdoor purpose?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id skip the MH12. MH20 is shorter, has a deep carry clip, has a bit more power and comes in neutral as well. MH20 beam profile is very good its wider than the MH12. Not sure about what the K range is for the cool white and neutral white options Im sure they vary. NW is better for better color rendition. If you want to see truer color go with a NW MH20. NW vs white light, dont know about your seller but it sounds like they mean cool white when they say white light as NW tends to have a more natural halogen like tint. Id inquire with the seller about what specifically do they mean.

wiro-sableng

Newly Enlightened
Id skip the MH12. MH20 is shorter, has a deep carry clip, has a bit more power and comes in neutral as well. MH20 beam profile is very good its wider than the MH12. Not sure about what the K range is for the cool white and neutral white options Im sure they vary. NW is better for better color rendition. If you want to see truer color go with a NW MH20. NW vs white light, dont know about your seller but it sounds like they mean cool white when they say white light as NW tends to have a more natural halogen like tint. Id inquire with the seller about what specifically do they mean.

Thanks for your input.
I'll consider it. It has about the same price but without battery.

So Neutral White seems better suit for me, thanks. I'll look for them. :)
The Neutral White and White Light think is listed on Nitecore site, not the seller.

I'm inquiring the seller in my country, but looks like they're clueless about it.
Not very surprising since they sell a large amount of stuff and CS just care about selling.
I'll try to bug them further, maybe someone can forward and confirm something :ironic:

I take a quick a glance on Fenix and Jetbeam also, but here they cost about +$20 extra from it's original price, while Nitecore product seems within the range of it's original price.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Fenix are more expensive. Jetbeam just came out with a couple new models. Ive got 3 Jetbeams they are built like tanks. The Jetbeam 3M Pro is outstanding. The Nitecore MH20 is the best Nitecore Ive ever had. Design and build are first rate. MH20 tested out here on CPF at 990 lumens out the front which is amazing for such a small light.

I do not know where in the world you are so Idk what is available to you. Lastly try and get at least an 3400mah 18650 cell for whatever you get(as long as it fits an 18650 of course). Here in the US quality lights and batteries are everywhere and easy to obtain. Do you have a charger?

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH10, MH12, MH20 (XM-L2 1x18650/2xCR123A) in-light charging review: ...

My vote for Mh20 also. It is my favorite light. It's tiny, and incredibly bright. The beam pattern is superb. Good uniform hotspot, but with plenty of spill.
Also, the user interface is great with the 2 stage button. I've also used it in a pool for hours, and no issues.

wiro-sableng

Newly Enlightened

Yes Fenix are more expensive. Jetbeam just came out with a couple new models. Ive got 3 Jetbeams they are built like tanks. The Jetbeam 3M Pro is outstanding. The Nitecore MH20 is the best Nitecore Ive ever had. Design and build are first rate. MH20 tested out here on CPF at 990 lumens out the front which is amazing for such a small light.

I do not know where in the world you are so Idk what is available to you. Lastly try and get at least an 3400mah 18650 cell for whatever you get(as long as it fits an 18650 of course). Here in the US quality lights and batteries are everywhere and easy to obtain. Do you have a charger?
I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia.
Here quality lights are not common, they're not easily available.
Understandable though, as most people quite satisfied with cheap light and just replaced with another cheap one once it's broken.
Few speciality store have it, but they're more pricey than original price (up to $20 extra)

Quality rechargeable batteries are more available, especially in form of AA/AAA because they're often used by photographer. I have a bunch of them and also charger.
I just ordered Digicharger D4 for addition and more universal charger.
18650, not so much. But still available among enthusiast such as RC Car community.

Back in the days couple years ago when i'm very active on outdoor club, i used Petzl Tikka/Zipka for lights/headlamp along with Arianne Acetylene for caving, and cheap handheld light as backup.
It sure have change a lot now :D

My vote for Mh20 also. It is my favorite light. It's tiny, and incredibly bright. The beam pattern is superb. Good uniform hotspot, but with plenty of spill.
Also, the user interface is great with the 2 stage button. I've also used it in a pool for hours, and no issues.
I just ask the seller for MH20 or MH12 with Neutral White, I think i'll pick whatever they have with Neutral White. Hopefully MH20 with Neutral is available.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmmm interesting. Jakarta eh? Forgive my ignorance when it comes to what is available to you in that part of the world. Quality Panasonic based cells made in Japan and re wrapped in China with protection circuits and new labels I would imagine would be available due to being so much closer to the manufacturing source as you are? Yes indeed if your selection is limited due to your location I guess your just simply left with a limited selection of lights? We have many members on this forum from your part of the world and from what I have read in their posts getting a good quality light is always tough. Very unfortunate! We are spoiled here in the US and most of Europe everything is available. Hopefully you can find a retailer there that actually has a decent return policy should you receive a bad light. Let us know how things go for you in obtaining your desired light and good cell over there. Some of us CPFers may be willing to help. For instance I have dozens of high quality 3400mah cells as spares I would be willing to part with should you not be able to find quality cells. Nitecore D4 is just fine. Good luck

somnambulism

Newly Enlightened
PWM/Strobe

All the MH-series lights appear to be current-controlled. There was no sign of pulse width modulation (PWM) at any level, on any light. :thumbsup:

However, on the MH12 (and like the earlier EC20) I did detect faint re-occurring signals on the Lo and Med modes - but not the Lower or Hi modes.

There were no signs of this pattern on the MH10 or MH20. In any case, it is not a concern – these patterns were NOT visible by eye, even when shinning on a fan. In keeping with my standard review policy, I report on anything I can detect (whether it is visible or not). Rest assured this is not PWM, and there is no perceptible flicker on any MH-series light tested here. :thumbsup:

First of all, thanks a ton for this review (and your many others). As a very recent convert to this hobby, I've found your reviews extremely helpful.

My recent "conversion" included the purchase of an MH12, which was in part due to this review. I like the light quite a bit; my biggest gripe about it is something fairly minor that you point out in the review, namely the fact the USB port cover is easy to mistake for the mode button by touch.

But I have a comment about the PWM/strobe section I quote above. Out of curiosity today I decided to test the various lights I've acquired over the past few months (MH12; Olight R20 Javelot, S1, S80; Armytek Prime A2; Convoy BD03; Foursevens Atom AL) for PWM/strobe by turning on my bathroom faucet to a trickle, shining a flashlight beam at the stream of water, and looking at the shadow it casts. I tried this with every (non-strobe) mode of each light I named, and with one exception they produced a shadow that appeared solid to my eye. The exception was the "low" mode of the MH12, which made a shadow where I could see a stroboscopic pattern of individual drops of water.

So it would seem that the pattern your oscilloscope detected can be seen by the naked eye (at least in certain admittedly contrived circumstances). Or perhaps my light slightly different from your sample.

This certainly doesn't detract from the quality of the light in my opinion, but I just wanted to put this information out there.

Thanks again.