Nitecore P12 [XM-L2 T6, 1x18650, 2x(R)CR123A] Review

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm exited, I ordered one. I wanted to get the nitecore i2 and an eagletac 18650 3400mha, but I read on another forum that the charger wouldn't charge that battery properly. Anyone know about that?

The EagleTac 3400mAh will not work with the P12 as the P12 can only accept button-top cells.

michael3

Newly Enlightened
The EagleTac 3400mAh will not work with the P12 as the P12 can only accept button-top cells.

The eagletac 3400mah 18650 is a button top. I have bought a few and use them in my nitecore srt6 which also only accepts button tops.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd, I don't know what I was thinking. Could have sworn they were flat-top but after looking at pictures they're not.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a completely erroneous remark on nailbender's dropin thread. Should have known he has more tints than is listed on his website. I have read good information from you a number of times before, Ryp.

A nice aspect about the Nitecore charger is that you can stop the charging when the third light just starts to blink. That will leave the batteries on a more conservative, some would say increased longevity for the battery, state of charge. I think I paid maybe $12 for it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice aspect about the Nitecore charger is that you can stop the charging when the third light just starts to blink. That will leave the batteries on a more conservative, some would say increased longevity for the battery, state of charge. I think I paid maybe $12 for it.
Kitrobasking, would you know what the battery voltage when the third light starts blinking?

Odd, I don't know what I was thinking. Could have sworn they were flat-top but after looking at pictures they're not.
Well, you were not completely wrong: the button is only slightly raised making it nearly a flat top. At least on the two batteries I have.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitrobasking, would you know what the battery voltage when the third light starts blinking?

Just a little under 4.20v measured by a not cheap but not expensive multimeter. For me, it is not so important to get it exactly when it goes to the third flash, so I don't know how long it has been flashing three flashes. One of my older, less expensive 18650's takes forever to 'top off', and after reading about that feature on the i2 charger here on CPF, I don't sweat it too much. I have compared voltages against my two multimeters and with the voltage readings from my Nitecore TM26 and Nitecore P12. All of them do the job just fine for battery readings: less than .05V difference, I believe. The P12 only measures to the nearest .1V. The two DMM's are never more than .01V different the few times I have compared. Good enough for battery testing for me. Just not sure how 'exacting' you are.

guerita32699

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the response, I guess they will work fine together.
I don't know if we're allowed to talk about other forums or mention there name, but it was on another forum I read that the 3400 eagletac wasn't charging right on the i2.
But since you guys stated you have had no such problem I think I'll go ahead and get this combo.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little under 4.20v measured by a not cheap but not expensive multimeter. For me, it is not so important to get it exactly when it goes to the third flash, so I don't know how long it has been flashing three flashes. One of my older, less expensive 18650's takes forever to 'top off', and after reading about that feature on the i2 charger here on CPF, I don't sweat it too much. I have compared voltages against my two multimeters and with the voltage readings from my Nitecore TM26 and Nitecore P12. All of them do the job just fine for battery readings: less than .05V difference, I believe. The P12 only measures to the nearest .1V. The two DMM's are never more than .01V different the few times I have compared. Good enough for battery testing for me. Just not sure how 'exacting' you are.
Thanks, I'm not exacting at all: I'll give it a try! :)

rexfan10

Newly Enlightened
I may have missed it,
But can somebody please tell me how long the p12 will remain at the 900 lumens before stepping down to a lower level?

Thanks,
Rex

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
The P12 that I have stays on apx. 2m 45s.
It's an amazing light. I use it every day (I work at night). From use this light needs the step down. It gets quite warm even with the step down. The jump is not that big. If it was'nt for the little blink at the step, you would not notice the change in the real world. If you turn it on, pointed at the ceiling and wait for the step, the reduction is perceptable but not harsh.
Get one, use it. You will be happy.
I just wish it had a spring contact in the head, so i could weapon mount it.

nrtv20

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up one of these lights and so far it has blown away my expectations. I have been wanting to get a light with a side mounted function button and its such a plus to have a blinking battery level meter built in since everyone seems to run 18650's anyway! Well done Nitecore; excellent value and has now made me give your other offerings a second once over.

Also the Eagletac 3400 battery does fit fine.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
The P12 that I have stays on apx. 2m 45s.
It's an amazing light. I use it every day (I work at night). From use this light needs the step down. It gets quite warm even with the step down. The jump is not that big. If it was'nt for the little blink at the step, you would not notice the change in the real world. If you turn it on, pointed at the ceiling and wait for the step, the reduction is perceptable but not harsh.
Get one, use it. You will be happy.
I just wish it had a spring contact in the head, so i could weapon mount it.

Yes of course it is better to have dual springs for weapon mounting, but the P12 can survive without it. It works fine even with the recoil.