Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Thanks for a great review. Your photos sure are grainy for ISO 80. Guess cameras have come a long way since 2007.

C'mon, leave the metadata alone and just sit back and enjoy the show... :nana:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

That's some serious product placements. Now I feel thirsty and hungry at the same time. :p
Full disclosure: no food/beverage products were supplied by any manufacturer for this review (sadly :laughing:).

Did you find out the maximum temperature this monster emits past the 4.5min mark?
The detailed graph of the third TM11 sample shows a temperature curve without cooling. It seemed to level out at 59 degree C (surface temp, mid-point of the head).

Thanks for a great review. Your photos sure are grainy for ISO 80. Guess cameras have come a long way since 2007.
Image noise seems to be an issue with the sensor in this specific camera model - which is why I've set it to ISO 80, to try and help compensate somewhat (I won't spoil the surprise for those who haven't checked out the metadata yet :rolleyes:). But note the shots are all done in ambient room lighting (i.e. on the corner of my desk, near a large window). Given the volume of lights I process, I don't have time for a more professional lightbox setup.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure what other current users of the TM11 think about this, but after doing a bit of fumbling on more than one occasion when trying to locate the switch to turn it off (or switch modes) while using it out in the dark, I actually wish the red switch light would automatically come on when the light is switched on.

An interesting idea, I can see why you would want it. I suspect many would object to a constant red light during operation, but I too am curious to hear what others think.

Yeah, I thought about whether anyone would see the red switch light as a problem during use, but I believe that while the light is actually switched on the red switch light would be so unobtrusive as to be nearly unnoticeable unless you needed to look for it. I wish there were a way to test the idea.

I also think that perhaps attaching (ugh...gluing) a small o-ring around the outside of the switch bezel might help to locate the switch in the dark -- and that would keep the TM11 from being so easily switched on by accident. Whether an o-ring could be made to stay in place might be questionable, though.

I've seen how several people have attached a rubber o-ring to certain ZebraLights that had switches that were too easily switched on. An o-ring with a one-centimeter inner diameter might help solve both problems, but I somewhat recoil at the thought of gluing something to the TM11.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Yeah, I thought about whether anyone would see the red switch light as a problem during use, but I believe that while the light is actual switched on the red switch light would be so unobtrusive as to be nearly unnoticeable unless you needed to look for it.
Hmmm, true ... and if it did bother you, you could always cover it up with your thumb while carrying the light (as long you were extra careful not to accidentally switch modes :rolleyes:).

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

The detailed graph of the third TM11 sample shows a temperature curve without cooling. It seemed to level out at 59 degree C (surface temp, mid-point of the head).

Thanks. 59ºC seems bearable without going aiyayayayaya!*:crazy:

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the excellent review!:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this is a common thing with Nitecore lights but wouldn't using springs on the bottom of the battery-well be better than just the bent metal connectors it is using? I'm concerned the metal tabs could take a set and not give reliable contact after a while. Springs would also give a greater range of battery lengths to be used in the light.

Last edited:

Crazy Swede

Newly Enlightened

Very good review!!

Now when I know what the issues with this light was and that Nitecore has fixed this bugs I can buy one for my birthday:)

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review as usual. Selfbuilt! :thumbsup:

Kletsou

Newly Enlightened

Great review selfbuilt !
:goodjob:

I've had mine now for a couple of weeks and must say I really enjoy it. For walks in in areas where it is completely dark the Turbo mode is too bright for close-up use. Who ever thought I would say such a tine monster is too bright!!??
thinking.gif
crackup.gif

I agree with the comments on locating the switch in the dark. There is possible modifications one can make/apply for easy location but I would have prefered that out of the box and not as a mod. It is a bit a hassle.
drool.gif

It took me some time to get used to the bulkiness of the light. I think it is because it is so short and you also do not expect the amount of light the TM11 outputs:rock:...

Maybe in V2 of the light they can add a bit of length to cater for a deeper reflector which could add just that tad of a better throw ?

All and all – this is what I want in terms of light output in a little hand held flashlight
party.gif

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I'm not sure if this is a common thing with Nitecore lights but wouldn't using springs on the bottom of the battery-well be better than just the bent metal connectors it is using? I'm concerned the metal tabs could take a set and not give reliable contact after a while. Springs would also give a greater range of battery lengths to be used in the light.
A good point, I would think springs would be better for longer term durability (and would also have presumably helped with supporting shorter length 18650 cells). Don't know why Nitecore went this route, but there is a presumably a reason. :shrug:

Now when I know what the issues with this light was and that Nitecore has fixed this bugs I can buy one for my birthday:)
The only real issue I see is the variation in "cycling" behaviour between samples. I don't how easy this would be to resolve, but I've made the suggestion to their engineers that it might be simplest (?) to program the circuit to prevent restoration of Turbo once the thermal protection has tripped, during continuous operation (i.e. would need to turn off/on to reset the thermal control). In essence, treat it more like a breaker than a thermostat. But of course, I don't know the intricacies of how the thermal control works, so don't know how feasible that suggestion is. Seems to me like it would simpler (and more elegant) than adding time-dependent cut-offs or new monitoring features to the circuit, etc., but I'll leave that to the circuit experts to figure out. :)

brightnorm

Flashaholic

The uniqueness of this light makes it deserving of many hits. I suspect that if you put "2000 lumens" in the title it would attract flashaholics like moths to the flame :)

Brightnorm

HIDblue

Enlightened

Top notch review selfbuilt! I've been looking to replace my Eagletac M3C4 triple XP-G...which just never really grew on me.

Acid87

Enlightened
Nice review as always selfbuilt.
I'm not sure about the light mainly because of the batteries. Just seems like its asking for trouble but then again I'm not one to mess with li ion.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

The uniqueness of this light makes it deserving of many hits. I suspect that if you put "2000 lumens" in the title it would attract flashaholics like moths to the flame :)
LOL, I would have thought the "4x18650, 3xXM-L" in the title would be a bit of a give-away. :laughing:

I'm not sure about the light mainly because of the batteries. Just seems like its asking for trouble but then again I'm not one to mess with li ion.
Hmmm, well, you could always run in on primary CR123As. But as mentioned in the review, I don't recommend anything less than the full complement (i.e. 8xCR123A) if you plan to run on Turbo.

As an aside, I didn't detect any thermal issues with the 8xCR123A cells on Turbo (did two runs, on two individual samples). People may not realize it, but some of the ~750 lumen lights can be too hard on just 2xCR123A (i.e. tripping the PTC circuits).

brightnorm

Flashaholic

LOL, I would have thought the "4x18650, 3xXM-L" in the title would be a bit of a give-away.:laughing:
I was watching a DVD of "Madmen" and the idea of selling the product briefly overcame common sense!

Brightnorm

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened

Nice review as always selfbuilt.
You're already messing with li-on batteries is if you have any laptop computer, any mobile phone, any power tool, any iPod or pretty much any portable device. That should be almost 100% of the civilised population. Have you experienced any explosions yet? Perhaps not, since li on is safe as long as it isnt abused.

Last edited:

Acid87

Enlightened
yifu said:
You're already messing with li-on batteries is if you have any laptop computer, any mobile phone, any power tool, any iPod or pretty much any portable device. That should be almost 100% of the civilised population. Have you experienced any explosions yet? Perhaps not, since li on is safe as long as it isnt abused.

I understand that. It's more the using separate cells together in a light and the problems undercharged or overcharged etc. in the devices you mention the power packs are together even if it does consist of 18650 batteries in laptops etc.
As for explosions I have had an alkaline battery vent in my eye. Long story. So I know there is issues with any battery if abused.
My biggest issue is the rotation of cells and ensuring they have charged correctly etc.

Art

Enlightened

I have been waiting to push the trigger on buying this TM11 but I cant see if this is a positive review or not.
Light seems amazing on specs , but its like a Alfa Romeo , great car when it works ...

Is there anyway to know if the TM11 is a new version or old one from the serial number or something?

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Selfbuilt summarises it nicely as 2 major issues:
1) LED emitter soldering issue - results in one of the emitters failing; Nitecore has rectified this issue.
2) flickering on turbo - Nitecore has revised the circuitry.

When I receive mine, I will test it out thoroughly immediately.
If problems within first 14 days, free brand new replacement.
Thereafter, 18 months warranty.
Lifetime repair available for cost of parts only.

I would only be worried if there were no fixes for these problems...

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Deleted - accidental double post

Last edited: